News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

That Prop Looks Like

Started by elkad, Apr 22, 2016, 02:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Apr 22, 2016, 02:54 pm Last Edit: Apr 22, 2016, 02:56 pm by elkad
That Prop Looks Like

I found when a prop maker has a problem in making a specific prop for the detector, he will turn to things all ready made. Like tools, toys & medical devices.

For instance, wile looking around for information on something I came upon a pop-up of a certain type of glue gun. The gun looked familiar & looked up "The Twin Dilemma to see if it was I thought.

You tell me :D
Twin Delema Gun.jpg
One of the guns from "Twin Dilemma" was once a glue gun.

Another thing I found, was River Song's gun from "Big Bang", (I think the name was), was a nerf gun. I knew it was a nerf gun the first time I seen it.

River Song Alpha Meson Blaster Gun.jpg

It's amazing how a prop builder can turn a premade item into "Fantastic" prop. :D

Have you seen any other prop form Doctor Who that was made in the idea of time & budget saving, aka premade item into prop?

Mark

The most obvious one that springs to mind for me has to be the 80s TARDIS toolbox from a stationary box. Looked OK on screen.

domvar

Apr 22, 2016, 05:27 pm #2 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2016, 07:00 pm by kiwidoc
The glue gun was completely unmodified bar cutting the plug off.  We had the same ones at school they were the cheap ones where you would push the stick in by hand rather than it have a trigger.

13drwho

The temporal distortion detector from Mark Of The Rani was an off the shelf walkie talkie with minor modifications. (it also appeared as a Cyberman detector in Attack Of The Cybermen).

It is a tried and true practice in prop making to modify existing items into props... not just in Doctor Who!!

Volpone

The Nerf gun is similar, but unless there were extensive modifications or there is/was a different model at some point they aren't the same.  Trigger's different.  Grip's different.  The way the light/laser sight links up with the trigger guard.  Barrel shroud.  And of course the pointy butt assembly.  It's a good "close enough" match, but definitely not screen accurate. 

Of course the most obvious one is the War Doctor's sonic screwdriver. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Apr 23, 2016, 08:04 am #5 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2016, 08:08 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: 13drwho on Apr 23, 2016, 02:25 am
It is a tried and true practice in prop making to modify existing items into props... not just in Doctor Who!!

Quite true. I posted something about that here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6253.msg83573#msg83573.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Apr 23, 2016, 01:52 pm #6 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2016, 02:00 pm by The14thDr
I think I agree with Volpone regarding the River Song Nerf blaster.
It's not perfect, but I think the Nerf Firestrike looks more screen accurate than the one that elkad posted.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

matt sanders

In 1985, I won a "Design a Monster" competition, run by BBC Enterprises, and one of the prizes was a prop gun from Vengeance on Varos.

It turned out most of the gun was actually a hosepipe attachment, with a clear chamber for inserting plant food - we had one the same, for watering our tomatoes!

Onto this base, various other parts were glued, and painted a steely colour - see below:

IMG_2880.jpg

tony farrell

Haha! That puts me in mind of the new series Cyberleader whose 'chest' was fitted with Hozelock (garden hose) connectors!

2x06-The-Age-of-Steel-doctor-who-17889273-1600-900.jpg

T

elkad

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 23, 2016, 10:40 pm
Haha! That puts me in mind of the new series Cyberleader whose 'chest' was fitted with Hozelock (garden hose) connectors!

And the tubes are hand held shower head hose.  :)

elkad

There are a couple props, I don't know if they were custom made or the prop builder used an actual premade item customized.

Ramona's Sonic Screwdriver form "Horns Of the Nimond" looks like a Butane Pencil Torch, & the Doctor's Door Handel, used to open a storage shed like a garage door opener in"Inferno" looks like a Key Chain Tire Gauge, with some lathed rings & small ring rubber gaskets.

starcross

Apr 24, 2016, 02:35 am #11 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2016, 04:08 am by starcross
Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 23, 2016, 01:52 pm
It's not perfect, but I think the Nerf Firestrike looks more screen accurate than the one that elkad posted.

Neither is correct, I have one of the correct models from the N-Strike series Scout IX-3.
They literally only used the Handle the rest of it was scratch built as far as I can tell.
There are a few builds for it on the net with good detail on how to make it.
see this Flickr Set for example photos

Here is a scan I made when I was working out how to cut it to match the pictures.
It really is very tiny in my hand, but looks good in River's.
5596399386_5bf7dac0a2_z.jpg

fivefingeredstyre

ooo I like this game!

May I present Kettlewell's Robot.

IMG_1864b_zps4wllycu5.jpg

IMG_1864_zpsjxnjretx.jpg

IMG_1864a_zpsfmi1uy5j.jpg

Complete with Windscreen Wiper fins on his chest section that were common on a lot mid to late 70's British cars, as well as the ubiquitous Hozelock connectors...

meantimebob

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Apr 24, 2016, 09:35 am
ooo I like this game!

May I present Kettlewell's Robot.

Complete with Windscreen Wiper fins on his chest section that were common on a lot mid to late 70's British cars, as well as the ubiquitous Hozelock connectors...

Aren't the circular shoulder hinges the tops of cans of spray paint?

fivefingeredstyre

its a pretty close match...