Apr 19, 2024, 07:29 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Miniature Lamp Questions

Started by questionabrolly, Aug 02, 2016, 07:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

questionabrolly

Aug 02, 2016, 07:17 pm Last Edit: Aug 02, 2016, 07:18 pm by questionabrolly
I have a wooden Tardis model based on a paper model we found in an old book (I think the Doctor Who Technical Manual).

It stands about 18" tall. When my Grandfather made it for me, it was designed with a hollowed out are in the roof for some electrical parts. Two switches, one for the constant interior light, and one for a flashing top lamp. After a little over 30 years, the electronics have deteriorated a bit, so none of it really works anymore.

I'd like to get the lights working again, and possibly update the system, adding an audio module and whatnot. With all the limitations on size (the hollowed area is only about 4" square and about half an inch high), plus the fact that electronics is not my strong suit, I was hoping I could get some help to figure out what I can do.

I know there are quite a few experienced electricians here, so I'm kind of deferring to their expertise. But really, any clever suggestions or solutions are welcome. I don't actually know where to start.
-Patrick

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."

The Doctor

artwombat

Bicycle LED lights are cheap as chips and they have flash and steady modes operated by a single switch maybe that is worth a look.

jorwick

It may be overkill , but you can check out my Raspberry Pi based system for a full sized TARDIS... A Pi is just about that size... 

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6540.0

If you just wanted to run a LED or two there would be no need for the Transistors and 12V supply etc. , and depending on how loud you want it, the PI's internal sound nmodule could drive a small speaker ( or I can help you select a smaller amplifier kit)  You could add some micro buttons at the base to activate sounds,  etc. Any of the outside cirucits can be omitted if you don't need it.

I know I keep promising Version 2.0 -- "any day now"  but realistically it will probably be the first day the weather is cold enough to keep me inside...
But the new version will just be a software update to the old.

Volpone

Completely outside my area of expertise, but I wish you the best in your intention to honor your grandfather by repairing the TARDIS he made for you. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Aug 03, 2016, 07:51 pm #4 Last Edit: Aug 03, 2016, 07:51 pm by galacticprobe
If you check out this thread (specifically Page 10) http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=616.135 you'll see a simple circuit for flashing the light on the TARDIS roof. The circuit is really small so it should fit in the room you've got. A separate LED with a ballast resistor coming from the battery can be the steady-on "light" for the inside.

I'm not sure about the sound, unless you want to take one of the Character Options TARDISes apart and use that light and sound module. Of course, if your TARDIS model has limited space for circuits, if possible, you could "dig out" parts where you can to make more room - increasing the hollowed-out part so it can take the lighting circuit and a sound circuit.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

questionabrolly

The flashing light post is darn close to exactly what I was looking to build. So, about as helpful as help can be. Pretty easy to follow instructions, too. I should have no problem building one of those.

As for the sound, I went ahead and bought a sound module for one of those obnoxious greeting cards. Really cheap circuit, and I just have to disconnect the switch designed to trigger when the card is opened with something I can connect to a remote control unit.

I'm working on building an app I can install on my phone to control the whole thing, either with bluetooth (if I can figure out the programming) or more likely using an IR control.

Being that I'm also apparently blind, and missed the bit about attaching pictures at the bottom of the posting page...I'm now attaching photos of the thing as is at the time of this post. Basically, the wiring job I did when I was about 12. You will see very quickly why I'm trying to give it a face lift.

Also yes, it's been autographed a few times.Ext-Back&Right.jpgExt-Front&Left.jpgInt-Attic.jpgInt-Ceiling.jpgInt-Roof.jpg
-Patrick

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."

The Doctor