Apr 18, 2024, 02:07 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Matt Smith Lantern?

Started by dontblink, Jul 24, 2015, 01:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dontblink

lampcomp.jpg

I'm trying to recreate this lantern for my TARDIS, and I saw something about using camping lanterns, but I don't want to just buy a couple just to rip them apart... Is there a specific list of things I can use to make it?

galacticprobe

Jul 24, 2015, 05:31 am #1 Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015, 05:42 am by galacticprobe
Dontblink, which version are you trying to make: the Promo TARDIS-cum-Series 7b onward lamp, New Haven-style (left photo); or the Anchor Lamp-style from the Series 5-7a Production TARDIS prop (right photo)? That could make a world of difference, especially depending on your budget.

For the anchor-style (if you live in the US), the Vermont Lanterns Company has a relatively inexpensive repro that's very close to the size used on the prop: http://www.vermontlanterns.com/content/ships-lanterns-brass-anchor-lamp-12. It costs about one-third or more less than you'd pay for one in an antique shop or on eBay (unless you get very lucky on eBay). All it needs is a few minor modifications and the Series 1-4-esque Gardman-style lamp cap, and of course, blue paint. (If you're in the UK, I don't know if they ship internationally, but a quick e-mail to them would answer that.)

The New Haven-style? That one is much harder to come by, and a lot more expensive when you can find one. (And this is where you hit the reversal of fortune, so to speak: if you live in the UK, you'll probably not have a problem getting your hands on one; if you live in the US, then you'll have to work with one of our members living in the UK to get one and ship it to the US because no one in the UK selling these - at least none that I've found - will ship to the US.) This lamp would need a little less modifying, but will still need that same cap for it.

And if you've got the funds for an inexpensive Gardman-style lamp so you can get the cap, there are still a few available here: http://www.amazon.com/Everlasting-10-24-Black-Lantern-Candle/dp/B004EBT7A0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1389483435&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=Everlasting+Glow+7.87%22+x+10.24%22+Metal+and+Resin+Round+Lantern%2C+LED+Candle+with+Timer%2C+Assorted+Colors. (Nice thing about this version is the battery-operated candle removes with just three little screws on the bottom, so you have more room to work with. And you Eccleston/Tennant box builders that are still looking for the lamp, there it is!)

Both styles of lamp can be scratch-built with the right pieces, so I guess it comes back to that original question: which version are you looking for; New Haven (left photo) or Anchor Lamp (right photo) style?

(I hope some of this info was a little helpful.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"