News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:1 Hartnell/Troughton Console Build

Started by markofrani, Apr 16, 2016, 07:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Apr 18, 2016, 03:52 am
Quote from: markofrani on Apr 16, 2016, 07:48 am
The beginning! Making a start on the main levers. I've decided to use laser cut perspex to make them...
3.JPG2.JPG1.JPG

OMG that is so beautiful - I was pondering how to make this control for my Arc of Infinity console. I have tons of acrylic in storage ..... I was over thinking ...... You are an inspiration. Thank you.

You're not alone in that over thinking. Nor are you alone in finding these pieces beautiful. :-)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: markofrani on Apr 16, 2016, 03:42 pm
As its raining yet again, I've now started work on the secondary levers....

4.JPG

5.JPG

It seems almost a pity to paint these! Quite beautiful!

I wonder Jonathan, if you'd be prepared to share your parts list (obviously the lever 'casings' are laser cut) but what, for example, have you used for the electrical connectors and what components have you used for the actual ball-topped levers themselves? 

I'd also be intrigued to see a close-up of the support for the main 'mast' and little discs which you've used to secure the Atom Basket/parabolic array to the turn-table.

Wonderful work and pictures as always.

T

galacticprobe

Apr 18, 2016, 06:20 pm #17 Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:35 pm by galacticprobe
Whoa! You did an outstanding job in that "parabolic array"! It looks like it was made like that rather than having been cut out and having the supporting legs removed. You say one chance to get it right; well, you got it right, and then some!

Definitely moves the needle on that Envy(medium-small).jpg meter up a few notches!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

markofrani

Apr 18, 2016, 07:52 pm #18 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2016, 08:04 pm by markofrani
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 18, 2016, 05:05 pm

I wonder Jonathan, if you'd be prepared to share your parts list (obviously the lever 'casings' are laser cut) but what, for example, have you used for the electrical connectors and what components have you used for the actual ball-topped levers themselves?  

I'd also be intrigued to see a close-up of the support for the main 'mast' and little discs which you've used to secure the Atom Basket/parabolic array to the turn-table.

No problem. The secondary lever ball is a 16mm M4 screw ball used for handles on lathes etc. The toggle switch is a 3-way Guitar Selector Pick-up with a removable head. I went for this type because the aluminium tube would fit better on these rather than a regular toggle switch which I think Celation used.
The M4 screw ball then has an M4 grub screw placed within it and this would then would be glued into the tube attached to the switch.
All these parts I found on Ebay...

9.jpg

The main mast was just propped up for the photo.
The 'Parabolic Array' support is simply two laser cut 10mm thick discs with M3 screw holes to maybe bolt the 2mm thick disc inside the basket.
I haven't actually worked out yet how I'll secure it to the turntable for the build. I just wanted to illustrate the finished basket at this stage.

10.jpg

markofrani

Quote from: greggnowling on Apr 17, 2016, 10:58 pm
Oh man....any chance you have an extra one of those??

Sorry Gregg, I did have two of these but I sold one on Ebay last year I'm afraid.
I'll keep looking, and if I do find another one I'll let you know.

greggnowling

Thanks....I really appreciate it.  I'm terrified I'll get to the end and not get it finished because of this one bit.

Gregg

fivefingeredstyre

Apr 18, 2016, 10:21 pm #21 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2016, 10:21 pm by fivefingeredstyre
I bloody love this thread... :)

galacticprobe

Apr 20, 2016, 04:02 am #22 Last Edit: Apr 20, 2016, 04:02 am by galacticprobe
I second that, Steve!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

markofrani

Just finished painting one of the main levers and a set of secondary levers.
The red centre on the main lever knob will be a sticker from Ebay.

11.jpg

davidnagel

Apr 30, 2016, 09:26 pm #24 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2016, 09:27 pm by davidnagel
Stop it, you'll put some of us to shame!
Regards
David

Rassilons Rod

Good lord. That's amazing. They look like original parts! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

May 01, 2016, 09:42 pm #26 Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:46 pm by galacticprobe
Envy(tiny).jpg, Envy(small).jpg, Envy(medium-small).jpg

Nothing else to say... :-\ total loss for words, other than I wish I had access to half of the materials and tools some member do!

Dino.

markofrani

May 04, 2016, 08:00 pm #27 Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:01 pm by markofrani
Starting on the 'tertiary' levers and radiation meter. All laser cut as the previous parts..

12.jpg

13.jpg

galacticprobe

May 04, 2016, 11:34 pm #28 Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:37 pm by galacticprobe
The Envy(small).jpg level that I would love to post in this one would take up the entire screen (and no doubt be re-sized by one of the Mods for being too large). But just take the one I've got here, and times it by 10, and you might get my feelings across. The space available to put a 1:1 scale build; access to laser cutters; access to perspex of this thickness (and other thicknesses), and everything else that goes along with that - such as the knowledge to use the laser cutters, etc.

Oh yeah... at least times 10... maybe even 12!

Dino.

markofrani

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 04, 2016, 11:34 pm
The level that I would love to post in this one would take up the entire screen (and no doubt be re-sized by one of the Mods for being too large). But just take the one I've got here, and times it by 10, and you might get my feelings across. The space available to put a 1:1 scale build; access to laser cutters; access to perspex of this thickness (and other thicknesses), and everything else that goes along with that - such as the knowledge to use the laser cutters, etc.

Dino.

Thanks Dino and everyone for the kind comments, but I don't really have access to all these tools and laser cutters. Most of the work is done in my house or garden shed with a drill, sandpaper, primer and paint. I simply send PDF files to the laser cutters to be done for me. Without Tony and Celation's research I probably wouldn't have had a go at a full size version. As for having the space for a 1:1 console. I haven't at the moment. This is why I'm working on the controls and the centre column for now...