News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 (kinda) TARDIS build!!

Started by Reuben01, Apr 14, 2016, 12:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben01

Apr 14, 2016, 12:37 am Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:29 am by Reuben01
Hi there!
I've moved from the planning stage (after MUCH deliberation) on this thing and on to production!
The box that I'm hoping to build is an Eccleston/Tennant. However, due to time restraints and a lack of skill in a lot of these areas, I've had to modify it a bit and make some bits easier for me.
The actual scale of the plans I've drawn up.... is a little weird. But the end product will be ALMOST full sized.

I... really wish I could do this 100% accurate, and so hopefully I don't offend anyone with the corners I may cut, or the details I miss.
The feeling I've gotten from even just looking at the materials I've bought for my walls... is incredible. And I'm really looking forward to building this thing.
So... I'm going to put it up here, maybe for some helpful hints and tips (although preferably stuff that's within my skill level and price range :P)
Thanks for all the help you guys gave me in the planning side... it was a great help.
HOPEFULLY IT WORKS OUT!   ;D

(I've started with the walls, and am assembling the frame that goes on them)

mobius

good luck, don't worry about screen accuracy, Zarquon, look at the beastie I'm building, you'll feel better about yours haha. also your attached photo isn't showing up for me. remember, safety first!
It's always a matter of time...

galacticprobe

Apr 14, 2016, 08:43 am #2 Last Edit: Apr 14, 2016, 08:44 am by galacticprobe
Agreed with what mobius said. You build your Old Girl to the best of your abilities and no one will fault you on that. She'll be beautiful. (Anyone that does fault you on your build is what we refer to as a "Rivet Counter", and they're considered in the same light as are the "Stitch Nazis" in the costuming world... ignore them. Here on TARDIS Builders, no one will ever be offended by anyone's build. We all of us build to our skill level and depth of pockets, and each build is beautiful because the builder puts his and her heart and soul into their Old Girl.

As for your photo not coming through, after you select the photo you want to post, try using the "Save Draft and Continue >>" button below the bottom right corner of your Comments field (where you type stuff in). Click that button and you should get a preview of your post so you can make sure your photo came through. (I know there is a "Preview" button next to the "Post" button, but trust me, the "Save Draft and Continue >>" button is the better way to go. It also saves your post in Draft Mode in case you need to take a break before you're finished. You can come back and your post will still be right where you left off and you can finish from there.)

Once you've used that "Save Draft" button and you see how your post will look, you can still make changes because the typing window is right below the preview. When you're happy with your Draft, then use the "Post" button. That should help you get your photos through. And you can post more than one photo in a single post; just put a "line return" in before selecting another photo (press Enter on your keyboard), but make sure you use the "Save Draft" button after selecting each photo; if you select more than one photo before using that button, not all of your photos will post. Sometimes they will, but 9 times out of 10 they don't.

I hope this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Reuben01

Apr 21, 2016, 12:22 am #3 Last Edit: Apr 21, 2016, 12:22 am by Reuben01
Thanks for the help and reassurance from both of you, makes me feel heaps better about the whole thing!
Also, a specific thanks for the uploading images help! I'm normally pretty tech savvy, but it was starting to drive me insane!

So, this is where i'm at currently!
3 walls of my walls are semi completed, (without the cross pieces still) and i couldn't resist standing them up and putting them in a semi TARDIS state... (just being held together with claps at this point as i haven't put together a base yet)
I've chucked my basic prototype i made next to it as well  :D
TARDIS semi assembled.jpg

Volpone

It looks promising.  Since I had this problem myself and it looks like you're still early in the build, I'll mention that you may decide you need bigger corner posts.  But the truth of the matter is, it is already recognizable as a TARDIS and anyone who hasn't spent years hanging out on this board will never notice.  Have a good time.   :) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Reuben01

May 10, 2016, 12:15 am #5 Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:01 am by Reuben01
It's.. been a while since I've been able to do anything on my build  :-\
But... i'm chipping away and hopefully it'll still all come together!

Thanks for the tip Volpone! Sadly... I don't know if i'll be able to manage it... design, cost and skill wise i had issues recessing back the walls behind four main corner posts.... and so I've attached what will be the corners onto the walls themselves (not ideal). What was the issue you found with smaller corners?

So... I've put my cross pieces on three of my walls (i'm still waiting/working on the fourth one because i made a tiny mistake  :-[) and... yeah, will be starting work on the base of the thing next!

Reuben01

Hello everyone!!!
This thing is still being made! Sadly, (i believe the cause is restrictions made by my schools internet) i can't put them directly onto this site... :/
sooooo.... i've chucked them up on the site imgur! so if you're interested in seeing where i am at with this thing so far feel free to check it out!
http://imgur.com/a/0TJEE
I'm currently building the tiered roof, and joining my walls together. I'm attempting to make this thing semi modular, so that i can remove some parts to make transport easier.
Once again. This is a BASIC build of the TARDIS, i'm not out here to boast about my woodworking skills or anything (quite the opposite in fact) i'm just doing this for documentation, and doing something i've wanted to do ever since first experiencing the show!!

galacticprobe

Jun 22, 2016, 04:30 am #7 Last Edit: Jun 22, 2016, 04:43 am by galacticprobe
Here's a little help with showing your progress, Reuben01. (You might want to save these images to your home computer so you can re-upload them as an Update because once you make your next Update, these comments will collapse and the images will be hidden. If you repost them as an Update, then they'll always be visible.)

zluMoAZ.jpg

UYYLpbe.jpg

tBVfH4N.jpg

eYU0Ou5.jpg

QIUaz2h.jpg

Many schools, and businesses (and military) computer networks have restrictions on their internet access because if they didn't, then people would never get any work done; they'd always be on the internet uploading or downloading images, chatting on Facebook, etc. I remember when the military put the restrictions on our systems. We couldn't even get at our own Facebook page and they always told us at briefings or training "If you want to know more about this program we've got for <insert the name of the project here> just go to the Facebook page". (When it was mentioned that the IT Crowd had blocked access to even our military Facebook page, they just told us to do it from home. HA! Like that was ever going to happen. 99 percent of the time I never did any work when I was home; that was my off time!)

My home computer has no such restrictions, so I was able to help you get your images posted. (Just remember to save them, and then repost them as an Update so they'll alway be visible. I had to resize some of the larger ones so they met with the Forum's image criteria, so you won't have to worry about that; just save and repost.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Reuben01

Aug 27, 2016, 11:05 pm #8 Last Edit: Aug 27, 2016, 11:06 pm by Reuben01
QIUaz2h.jpg
UYYLpbe.jpg
zluMoAZ.jpg
eYU0Ou5.jpg
tBVfH4N.jpg

Sorry :P finally got around to putting these images up on here.

Reuben01

I uh, had to knuckle down and make quite a bit of progress within the past few weeks. The time is coming when this thing is due!!! If only someone was building a time machine so I had more time to get it done....

Because of that, I've done a fair bit without documentation, (but made sure to take lots of photos) sooooooo this is gonna be a fairly big update!!!
I suppose the biggest change is that as I went on, it started to have a more Capaldi box feel to it, so I just kinda rolled with it :3

Well, let the sequence of updates begin!!

Reuben01

Aug 27, 2016, 11:28 pm #10 Last Edit: Aug 27, 2016, 11:30 pm by Reuben01
The roof!!!

well, this thing caused me some trouble, Getting my angles right was a bit of a fuss and my teachers advice was just to "make it taller" and so that's what ended up happening. Whilst it isn't as flat as I originally would have liked. I'm just happy it's up!

ROOF.jpg

I put some supports underneath each joint to keep the thing up, and then filled the gaps in the joins with some filler.

P_20160726_131840.jpg

I cut out a circle in the middle, and chucked a piece of PVC pipe down it. This will give my light something solid to sit on! Speaking of lights... I ended up going with one I found in Bunnings

https://www.bunnings.com.au/duracell-silver-led-solar-tabletop-lantern_p4351869
Not the most accurate, but after a paint job and removing the handle it was close enough!!

Reuben01

Aug 27, 2016, 11:45 pm #11 Last Edit: Aug 28, 2016, 12:15 am by Reuben01
Next came cutting out the windows!!
After which I had to take all my walls home to give them a good paint. The family helped with this one and we got them all done in one night!
P_20160816_204627.jpg

And, they came up rather nicely, in the words of a great man (namely Wallace from Wallace and Gromit) "it's surprising what a lick of paint'll do isn't it?"! I used British paints "sea shepherd" which was a little different to some others suggested, but... to be honest I liked the colour and thought why not?

Snapchat-570100779534193025.jpg

The next night involved cutting out the little "bits" on the windows!! and gluing the acrylic as well! ( i used prismatic diffuser)

Screenshot_2016-08-28-09-41-00.jpg

Snapchat-6325260507879185988.jpg

Reuben01

Aug 27, 2016, 11:50 pm #12 Last Edit: Aug 27, 2016, 11:50 pm by Reuben01
Then it was a matter of putting it together!!
(I painted the roof and base in some spare time)
Snapchat-3972400763754073559.jpg

Reuben01

Aug 27, 2016, 11:59 pm #13 Last Edit: Aug 28, 2016, 12:00 am by Reuben01
And then I had to call in a few favours.... mostly with the art department!!!

P_20160817_144020.jpg
P_20160823_130828.jpg

P_20160823_091530.jpg

P_20160825_130432.jpg
P_20160825_130447.jpg
P_20160825_130458.jpg

(I printed them onto sticker paper)

Reuben01

Aug 28, 2016, 12:06 am #14 Last Edit: Aug 28, 2016, 12:06 am by Reuben01
And then came the absolute amazing moment when I put them on...

I can't really describe the feeling, but... just geeking out I think?

P_20160825_170930.jpg

Putting all the bits and bobs on the doors came next (as you can see in this it's just a cut-out of my windows holding the doors closed!)