Apr 18, 2024, 03:09 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Brachacki Door Sign Frame Size

Started by jamiebate, Apr 10, 2016, 01:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelus Lupus

I can understand that. It's inevitable with ongoing research that new info will make previous knowledge obsolete. The problem is, the internet makes the 'wrong' stuff just as easy to find. If only certain research topics (and probably academic journals) could be like an app store, where you automatically download the latest update.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Apr 15, 2016, 05:47 am #16 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2016, 06:35 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 14, 2016, 11:07 am
Actually Dino, in 'your' very old drawing, the widths of the corner posts are half an inch too narrow as well!

Oh well. I guess that version of the drawing is headed for the dust bin (or in computer lingo, Recycle Folder).

If my post came across as a tongue lashing, that wasn't my intention and I apologise.

No... no need to apologise, Tony. I did put out the wrong info because of an outdated drawing, and you very rightly corrected me. (Besides, I enjoy a good tongue-lashing now and then. ;D ;D ;D Yeah... 'nuff said on that one!)

I simply want people to have the most accurate and up-to-date information: To misquote Jon Pertwee from Day of the Daleks, "this won't do at all, we can't have two sets of plans running around!"

Rather than calling that a "misquote", I'd call it a paraphrase; and I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Er, no.... The fact that the panel recesses have been incorrectly stated as 15" means that the window frames are also too short in this old version as well (though the figure of 3/4 of an inch for the widths of the stiles and cross-rails is correct).

I saw that one coming! :D That old red measurement drawing is already gone. Hopefully all of the measurements that were on it - in corrected dimensions - will appear on the revised version, and include that enlarged window frame showing the cross-rails.

Haha, you should see the state of my laptop's filing "system" - the word system is singularly inappropriate! In all seriousness though, I'd delete the 2008 version of the Brachacki Police Box 'plans' - the proportions are fundamentally incorrect.

Yup. Already done.

I know a lot of people use the formula 25 millimeters per inch but this results in what used to be called a "metric foot" (300 mm). I've always used 25.4 mm per inch as the conversion factor which results in the true value of 304.8 mm per imperial foot.

Yeah; I've seen that, too. I've always used the 25.4mm (or 2.54cm) per inch. (I had a maths teacher that almost literally drilled that into our heads when I was growing up.)

As an aside, you'll find that the studio floor plans for season 14's wooden console room are expressed in metric feet rather than imperial feet (which probably goes someway to explaining why some of our information regarding this version of the Tardis' interior doesn't quite tally with what was built - particularly the size of the circular platform on which the wooden console stands).

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Apr 14, 2016, 12:14 pm
Bugger!  :o

I just saw this one and I agree with Marc on that! :) I wonder if this explains the discrepancy between the size of the S14 console that Crispin built, and the new measurements that lespaceplie was working on for Nate's nightstand console.

As a second aside, Nathan/Warmcanofcoke (why do I always want to put spacings in "warm can of coke"?!   :)) has asked if I'd like start a topic on the wooden console room as well as the Mike Kelt console. I genuinely like the wooden console room but I have no interest (design-wise) in anything after Season 14 (and, in any case, Lespaceplie seems to have the Kelt Console 'pinned down'  :)). I want to finish the Kenneth Sharp Console first and - as a third aside - I've been driven to the conclusion that it was a good two inches taller than previously thought - but, more of that elsewhere!

Good idea on finishing the Sharp console first. (There are just some things you shouldn't multitask; measurements are one of them.) Though, once that console is done, I would like to second Nate's suggestion for doing the same with the S14 console. A lot of people like that one, and it's one that many can actually fit into their homes without having to scale it down. Having the correct measurements for it would make that even easier since your theory of the metric foot vs. imperial foot concurs with lespaceplie and the measurements he's working on for Nate. It means the console is smaller than the one Crispin built, and therefore would fit better in peoples' homes. (Perhaps a collaboration? Since lespaceplie is already working on the measurements, Tony, you could work on the drawings based on the new measurements? And hopefully the measurements won't have to be refined again once lespaceplie is done with them.) In either case, I think having the correct measurements of the S14 console posted for reference is a great idea.

Quote from: lespaceplie on Apr 14, 2016, 03:43 pm
The 6" posts version of the drawing is my old one. It predates better knowledge about the corner posts...

I thought I'd gotten those from that same link. And now that I think about it, I have vague memories of you posting that you'd revised those plans, but the link was the same, and then I downloaded the new version. (Just checked that crowded Brachacki TARDIS folder... yep... got new plans with blue measurements on them and they've got a later date than those red measurement ones I just trashed.)

So, Tony; I should have noticed that, ergo, tongue-lashing well-deserved! ;D

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 14, 2016, 05:55 pm
I'm not in any way 'knocking' your old plans Lespaceplie, I'm just saying that this version has been superseded by - as you say - 'better knowledge'. If the old version is still 'live' somewhere here on TB, it might be better to update the thread concerned so that we don't have contradictory plans floating about.

Tony, those old plans aren't on TB anymore, not since lespaceplie updated them. As I mentioned above the link is the same, but the plans are the latest ones lespaceplie's created - like Bill Rudloff's done with his Richmond-Thomas plans. Anytime someone clicks on that link, they'll always get the latest version. (But unlike me, they should remember to delete the older ones, or at least tell their computer to "Replace" or "Overwrite" the existing file to avoid the flub I made.)

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 14, 2016, 05:55 pm
...knowledge and understanding moves on... There's no harm in double-checking what someone has said, if you agree, great; if you don't agree say so. Everyone should be be man or woman enough to accept polite constructive criticism.  :)

Hence my saying there is no need to apologise for the tongue-lashing. I can take it! (Thank you, sir! May I have another?! ;D ;D)

Quote from: lespaceplie on Apr 14, 2016, 06:54 pm
I wish I could kill off all the obsolete plans floating around out there - quite a few of which I'm responsible for. To date I've only updated links, but there are crumbs of the past versions littered all over. That and I love when new info surfaces that can refine and sometimes radically change things. I'm not at all defending the old plans. They're just part of the journey.

Well, at least know that I've killed off the old version that I had. As long as your link has your latest version then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If you happen to see a copy of those old (as you called them) 6-inch post drawings somewhere, just post something to let people know those are obsolete and that you've created new ones, available via the same link.

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Apr 14, 2016, 11:00 pm
...If only certain research topics (and probably academic journals) could be like an app store, where you automatically download the latest update.

As long as the latest update is posted to the same link as lespaceplie and Bill Rudloff have done with their drawings, then once they post a notice that an updated version is available, all one has to do is click that link and get the new version.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

By way of an apology for hijacking Jamie's thread and to fill in some of the 'missing' dimensions from the most up-to-date plans for the original Brachacki Police Box prop:

brachaki_1_.png

T

galacticprobe

Apr 16, 2016, 04:07 am #18 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2016, 04:08 am by galacticprobe
Tony, you are an absolute genius! That drawing is amazing, and of good size, too! And if lespaceplie isn't opposed to it, I can turn it into a PDF and e-mail it to him. Then all he has do to is rename the file, replace the one in his link with this new one, and that link in his thread, and all of the posts where I referred to it, will give anyone clicking on it the most up-to-date accurate plans for the original Brachacki prop.

Tony, lespaceplie: what do you think?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

I'm hardly a genius.... The drawing didn't take any effort as the additional parts and dimensions are described here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4489.0

What we have above is a mish-mash of two styles (Lespaceplie's and now my own) which - whilst accurate - doesn't exactly look pleasing to the eye.

If Lespaceplie hasn't got the time, I'd be happy to put the effort in do a 'properly' finished diagram with the additional elements added in a matching 'house style'. That way people could download something which looks 'properly finished' (rather than something with bits hastily added by me).

T

galacticprobe

Apr 17, 2016, 05:35 am #20 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2016, 05:35 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 16, 2016, 11:30 am
I'm hardly a genius.... The drawing didn't take any effort as the additional parts and dimensions are described here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4489.0

Ah, but you forget who it was that started that topic, and did most of the calculations and perspective line measurements. (Your modesty is showing. ;))

What we have above is a mish-mash of two styles (Lespaceplie's and now my own) which - whilst accurate - doesn't exactly look pleasing to the eye.

Well, whilst "pleasing to the eye" is relative, this does give members an accurate set of measurements for the Brachacki-Original. (Better to have an accurate bit of mish-mash than an inaccurate "looks nice" drawing.)

If Lespaceplie hasn't got the time, I'd be happy to put the effort in do a 'properly' finished diagram with the additional elements added in a matching 'house style'. That way people could download something which looks 'properly finished' (rather than something with bits hastily added by me).

That's a very generous offer, Tony, and if lespaceplie is too busy I hope he accepts the offer. And if you do create a nice large high-res drawing (like the WIP that's on lespaceplie's link now), if you aren't able to convert it to a PDF, feel free to e-mail it to me and I can convert it, and then forward it to lespaceplie so he can update his link.

Just trying to do my bit to help out.

Dino.