Apr 15, 2024, 02:43 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Bishopsgate / Threadneedle Street

Started by starcross, Apr 07, 2016, 02:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

starcross

Apr 07, 2016, 02:38 am Last Edit: Apr 11, 2016, 11:58 pm by starcross
I'm calling this one the Scrooge McDuck Post, Because this thing is surrounded by Banks.

Here is the AP1 in place Dark as pitch but a nice square view. I think I can use this and the building stone work that still exists to get a rough height. Someone will need to go out and measure it but I'm sure we can convince someone.

Source: Getty Images
"National Provincial Bank, London. The former National Provincial Bank (now the National Westminster Bank) on the corner of Bishopsgate and Threadneedle Street was built by John Gibson in 1864-5."
CoL 33 - 464418685 - AP1 - Crop.jpg
CoL 33 - 464418685 - AP1.jpg

Source: OS Map 1959-62 Scale=1:1250
CoL 33 - Threadneedle - Bishopgate - Crop.jpg
CoL 33 - Threadneedle - Bishopgate.jpg

starcross

Apr 12, 2016, 12:09 am #1 Last Edit: Apr 12, 2016, 04:24 pm by starcross
This image is less Clear, it Could be the PA3 because of the White panel in front, or it could be a person walking in front of a AP2?
I am certain its the same spot though, if it were clearer it would be a good comparison to the AP1.

Source
CoL 33 - London_Bishopsgate_geograph-3066429-by-Ben-Brooksbank - Crop.jpg
CoL 33 - London_Bishopsgate_geograph-3066429-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

I'm thinking that maybe its the AP2 despite looking like a PA3, because the OS Maps Show that the Post was moved after 1965.
Which means I need to find a picture literally around the corner looking South Down Bishopsgate in the 1970s.

Source: OS Maps - Composite 1962 & 1971
The 1962 location in White Circle, 1971 data has buildings Shaded.
CoL 33 - 1962 vs 1971 Map.jpg

starcross

Apr 23, 2016, 03:54 am #2 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2016, 04:00 am by starcross
This photo of the resited PA3 is courtesy of the City of London's own photo site Collage.
There are some excellent photos to be had from this website, so expect more in the future.

This photo also marks the Hat Trick for this location, confirmation of all three Eras.  
CoL 33 - AP1 & AP2 & PA3.jpg

Source: Collage
Lloyds Bank: 39 Threadneedle Street, Bishopsgate

CoL 33 - PA3 - 1969.jpg

starcross

Oct 06, 2016, 08:01 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 08:17 pm by starcross
I was looking through my photo collection and made a discovery.
In 2010 I made a trip out to the Avoncroft Museum in Bromesgrove, where they have several Police Telephones in their outdoor collection.

Avoncroft.jpg

This is a City of London PA3 given it has the Plaque with the Coat of Arms on it as do those still in place on the streets of the Square Mile. That being said, when I saw the Label with "Box No 33" it didn't mean anything. I wouldn't get the numbered map until several years later.

If this label is original, that would mean that the final resting place of McDuck is the Avoncroft Museum.

00 - Box 33.jpg

There are lots of interesting things preserved with this Police Post.
Hopefully most of the devices inside are original and not replacements, either way this is a great reference piece.

I was very curious to see inside the locked doors being that this was a museum persevered post. So I chatted with the museum staff and asked them if I could take a look inside. They were happy to help me with my research, and I know that they've done the same for at least one other person.

00 - Doors open - Small.jpg

Of note is the 2nd Generation Flashing Switch Box.
This is what made the lantern light flash as an incoming call was made to the Box or Post.

00 - Flashing Switch.jpg
DSCF0023.jpg

A closer view of the Lowest section shows that several original pieces made it through the years.

00 - Internal components.jpg

The Internal Light timer switch. Labeled as "Venner Time Switch
Here is the insides from a website. From what I understand these were used all over the place to turn on Lamp posts, Telephone Boxes, and even our Police Box and Posts lights as Evening started.

Timer.JPG

The Filter Suppersion Case No.18A
From what I gather there was a capacitor inside that filtered noise from the telephone line.
00 - Supressor.jpg

Angelus Lupus

Interesting, the PTO sign seems to be a replacement based off the 2005 Tardis one.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.