Mar 01, 2021, 07:03 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Movellans Raygun

Started by elkad, Mar 29, 2016, 01:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Davros Skaro

I thought I had put them up on here somewhere before, but I couldn't find them, so I found a page that has some great pics of the Movellan's Blaster, it's here, http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151675 & to save the pics, I was going to include them on here to, but for some STUPID REASON my computer isn't showing the pics so can't post them, maybe someone else might have better luck.

Thanks,
Chris.

Chris.

Davros Skaro

I have tried to contact the owner who posted the photos, but seeing as I don't have any posts on the page, I can't contact him to see if we could post his wonderful pics on this page. If someone else is a member on that page (who has post of 5 or more) could they contact him.

Thanks,
Chris.
Chris.

lespaceplie

Quote from: elkad on Feb 09, 2017, 05:33 pm
I did some measurements of my so far prop. Can anyone make a print out I can trace on the acrylic from these measurements?

Movelon raygun messerments 02.jpg

Give me a day or so, and I can whip up a vector file for a PDF or something for a laser cutter.

lespaceplie

Feb 11, 2017, 12:22 am #19 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 02:58 am by lespaceplie
Taking notes from the link to eagletransporter.com, the work has already been done for us. Those are splendid replicas. PVC pipe might provide a substitute, but the diagram I produce will be based on the original parts from http://www.ema-models.co.uk as specced by Peter Logan. Chances are the sphere (hemis) in the center are EMA as well. We can't get more authentic than that!

VHH-450 ABS dome
VT-450 ABS tube

These are 4.5" / 114.3mm in diameter.

Davros Skaro

Feb 11, 2017, 01:22 am #20 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 01:28 am by Davros Skaro
After a LOT of messing around, I finally got to save the pics, had to go to the "photobucket" page to save them but got there in the end. All credit for the photos go to Bernie Walsh (captainscifi) of photobucket.com

039_zpsdcdbf44c.jpg
040_zpsdb1e11f7.jpg
You can see in this photo that the fins actually go through the dome.
041_zps914085c6.jpg
042_zpsc48f71f0.jpg
043_zps53fabb5e.jpg
044_zpsa0261257.jpg
045_zps49c79aab.jpg
046_zpsef1cca44.jpg
047_zps1b50d189.jpg
048_zps75ab96c0.jpg~original.jpg

got there in the end & your welcome. ;)

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Feb 11, 2017, 07:15 am #21 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2017, 07:15 am by galacticprobe
Yeah! WOW! Those are some killer pics! (And definitely: Thank you for posting them, Chris!) Those replicas are amazing, and it does make sense for the fins to go through the dome; it provides for better structural support than having them just stuck to the top. I don't know how the original props were made, but let's face it; when prop replica builders build their replicas, those replicas are usually built better than the originals were!

Prop replica builders want their "props" to stay around for a long while; some original props are just one-offs (like the Movellan Guns), and longevity probably isn't one of the considerations taken into account when they're built.

That belt clip on the replica is interesting. It looks like a large version of a money clip.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 11, 2017, 07:15 am
Those replicas are amazing, and it does make sense for the fins to go through the dome; it provides for better structural support than having them just stuck to the top. I don't know how the original props were made, but let's face it; when prop replica builders build their replicas, those replicas are usually built better than the originals were!

Prop replica builders want their "props" to stay around for a long while; some original props are just one-offs (like the Movellan Guns), and longevity probably isn't one of the considerations taken into account when they're built.

That belt clip on the replica is interesting. It looks like a large version of a money clip.

Dino.

on this site, http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151675 (don't know if you read the page) I thought/took it as it being an original, but I could be wrong.
I agree the fins going through the dome would make it stronger, so they don't fall off at an inconvenient time, while recording/filming.
& your welcome. :)

Chris.
Chris.

lespaceplie

Just about done with the diagram. There are some slight disagreements I have with those lovely replicas, but they're very, very minor and pretty easy to defend. I'm surprised the EMA parts aren't really metric. This will be a prop of mixed dimensions! After the initial diagram, there will be a suggested way of constructing this as well. As for EMA pricing and laser cutting, well, why make 1 when you can make 4 for not much more?

lespaceplie

movellan1.jpg

Dims and laser template coming soon. It all fell into convenient measures.

galacticprobe

Feb 13, 2017, 05:51 am #25 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2017, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
Lespaceplie, great work on those drawings! I can't wait to see the rest of the things you're working on for these replicas.

Chris, I do poke into eagletransporter from time to time. (Not a member, but I do look in, mostly for the Gerry Anderson stuff.) I did read the thread on the Movellan gun, however after your last post I went back and read it again and it does look like those images are indeed of original props, admittedly restored. But it would appear that the originals did have the pink perspex fins slotted into the dome when they were originally built. Again that makes sense; as you say, no one wants them falling off in the middle of filming.

We'll probably never know if they were initially built with the fins just stuck on, and then modified because that's exactly what happened - fins falling off during rehearsal - but it took a re-read for me to realize those were original Movellan guns.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lespaceplie

http://doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/movellan_sidearm.pdf

The plans don't address the trimmed edge of the cuff. If I had been the one cutting these, I would've pivoted the tube through a band saw to cut the arc. I believe the replicas were made this way. However, the shape of the originals would not have resulted from a single sweep. Perhaps they were done in two sweeps of a smaller radius or done with a jigsaw.

The laser template shapes do not account for any wiggle room in fitting the rings or any internal structure. Though tiny, the width of the laser itself pads the cut a little. I might append with additional templates once I build my own.

movellan1.jpg

lespaceplie

The PDF has just been updated - no changes but the addition of a cuff cutting template. The cut of the cuff was not a true saddle cut or simple arced cross section. Most likely it was done with a jig saw and filed smooth. The EMA tube wall is 2mm thick. Print the template twice, cut, tape together and wrap the tube. Simple as that.

russellsuthern

Hi all,
I'm bumping this thread because I'm about to start building A Movellan gun for my Cosplay thread.
It's easy to take TB for granted & forget what an amazing resource it is.
A quick search & here I am reading a thread that has everything I need to know, including measurements!

The amount of info gathered together here on TB is simply staggering!

So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has done the research on any topic featured on TB & published it for all to access & use for free.

Thanks!!

Russell

russellsuthern

During the research I was doing for my Movellan gun, I found a picture of the guns creator, Peter Logan, holding one of the original props, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone's interested.

peter logan.jpg

Hope you like.

Regards,

Russell