Apr 20, 2024, 12:25 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Planet of the Spiders TARDIS key.

Started by warmcanofcoke, Mar 26, 2016, 02:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Mar 26, 2016, 02:12 pm Last Edit: Mar 26, 2016, 02:14 pm by warmcanofcoke
Went over to the Facebook Group "Doctor Who Props Masks, Costumes and Studio scale models"

One of the members claims to have the Original Pertwee TARDIS Key

I don't know the authenticity or the provenance of this piece but thought it would be a good idea to share it on the off-chance.

12471894_10153439320244422_5886259765798226389_o_zpsa4euhqoh.jpg
921441_10153439320849422_5693739203254778220_o_zpswdizg8sv.jpg
Tardis%20key_zpsdjarp8vx.jpg

I have blurred the name to protect the owner, but you can always join the group and find the original post.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

13drwho

Beautiful, detailed pictures! If it's not the real one it's an incredible replica. I need to make a 3D model of it and print it in stainless steel. That would be awesome.

galacticprobe

Mar 27, 2016, 06:09 am #2 Last Edit: Mar 27, 2016, 06:18 am by galacticprobe
I picked up one of these from Mooncrest Models years ago while I was still working. The price wasn't bad (very reasonable, actually, including shipping), and at the time I think they said they'd made their master from the original mould. Theirs is pewter, though, and not as rough-looking at this one. Knowing just how rough Pertwee was with some of the props, I can see his "spade key" getting a bit chewed up and looking like this one.

I don't know how many keys they made for Pertwee's final year (when this key design came into existence), but I remember reading somewhere that Pertwee kept the key when he left, so another was cast for Tom Baker, using the same mould.

A stainless one would be stronger than the pewter version, and maybe could even have some sort of working lock made to go with it. (The stainless key would certainly be able to handle the torque of turning the lock far better than a pewter key.)

Mooncrest still has this version (and a "Clean" version for use as the 4th Doctor's key - though they were actually made from the same mould, not retooled for T. Baker). They also have a pewter 7th Doctor key - all keys for just £12.00, for anyone that would like one but can't afford to have one printed from stainless. (They're currently out of stock, but I believe an e-mail to them asking when more will come in should get an answer to that one.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fivefingeredstyre

I've a couple of the Mooncrest ones as well, I use them as key tags for the keys to my TARDIS :D