Mar 29, 2024, 08:35 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The14thDr's Shakri Cubes

Started by The14thDr, Mar 23, 2016, 01:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Mar 23, 2016, 01:32 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016, 01:36 pm by The14thDr
**DISCLAIMER: I tried to post this as an update for my previous Shakri Cube build diary, but for some reason I can't upload photos to posts on that thread. **

It's been a few months since I made my first card-and-duct-tape Shakri cube. Since then it has been dropped on its corner and the tape has begun to peel up slightly at the edges, so I thought it was about time I made another version.

The first step was to make a 2D net, but this time out of a sheet of black craft foam.
image.jpg

After this I folded each of the edges up and glued the net together.
image.jpg

However, unlike cereal box card, craft foam is quite flexible, so the sides and corners were trying to curve around and therefore didn't have straight, clean edges.

To remedy this I cut out six cardboard squares that were slightly smaller (70mm2) than the sides of the cube and glued them to the insides of the foam.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2016, 04:00 am #1 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 04:01 am by galacticprobe
Looks good so far, 14th. Odd about your other Shakri Cube Build Diary. (Maybe one of the Mods can look into that for you, and then possible merge this one in as an Update once they figure out what's causing your posting problems?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Jun 07, 2016, 04:54 pm #2 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 04:56 pm by The14thDr
Why I didn't post this 3 months ago when I actually completed the prop is beyond me. But as they say: better late than never. ;D :D

IMG_20160607_1734159_rewind.jpg

I stuffed the inside of the foam cube with tiny pieces of newspaper to add a bit more weight to the prop and glued the lid shut using PVA glue.

galacticprobe

Jun 08, 2016, 05:17 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2016, 05:17 am by galacticprobe
I'd say that turned out rather well!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino. The plan now is to make a whole army of cubes with all of the variants from the episode.

galacticprobe

Jun 08, 2016, 06:22 am #5 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2016, 06:22 am by galacticprobe
You can make as many of these, with any variations to them as you want... just so long as I don't wake up one day and find one of them sitting on my pillow staring at me! ;D

Dino.

The14thDr

I've got some more foam, and the next cube I want to build is the one with the number 3 inside it, like in this poster for The Power of Three:
The_Power_of_Three.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a graphic for the number, or will I have to free hand it from scratch?

galacticprobe

Jun 20, 2016, 08:58 pm #7 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2016, 08:59 pm by galacticprobe
14th, check out this one! It's got that "3" on it! :o (No! :o I'm not excited! :o What makes you think I'm excited?! :o :o)

http://static.radiotimes.com/editorial/DWCube-A4v2.pdf.

It's from the Radio Times:
(http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-09-21/make-your-own-doctor-who-the-power-of-three-cube)
and they have a PDF for A3 and A4 sizes. The PDF above link is to the A4 size, and it's pretty large so it might be exactly what you're looking for. (Or exactly what everyone who's thinking of making one of these is looking for.)

Dino.

The14thDr

Thanks Dino!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
I don't think my printer could handle almost 2 full A4 pages of solid black, but that side with the "3" will be extremely useful for my next cube build!! Thanks again!! ;D ;D

Maybe someone should create a separate reference thread for the cubes (that way, it will be available to everyone once these comments are collapsed)?

P.S. No, I'm not excited either, what on Gallifrey makes you think that?? ::) ;D

galacticprobe

Jun 22, 2016, 03:35 am #9 Last Edit: Jun 22, 2016, 03:35 am by galacticprobe
You're welcome, 14th. And if you did want to print out the PDF, you could always try taking the file to one of those office places (like we have in the States: Office Depot or Office Max, or similar). Just put the file on one of those little jump drives and then you can use one of the printers at the office place. You can print a few pages on a color laser printer for only a few cents (or pence). In the US it's only about a dollar at the most for several pages, so it's not that expensive at all. (And the color laser image won't run, or get smudged on your fingers when you handle the cube, or the paper while wrapping it around the cube.)

Either way, I'm glad I was able to help out.

Dino.

The14thDr

Thanks Dino, I suppose I could get a few of the cubes printed off and glued onto card (kind of like how I made my first cube, but without the duct tape). That would be a really easy way to mass-produce an army of cubes. ;D

galacticprobe

Jun 24, 2016, 05:07 am #11 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2016, 05:07 am by galacticprobe
I was just thinking, it would be great if there was some way of making the inside of at least one of those cubes accessible. Then you could put a small but bright cool white LED and battery inside, and leave some slits cut in the card that's going to be on the side of the cube where the number will be. Then it will look like the number is really glowing from inside the cube. (Well, it will be, actually, but you know what I mean.)

I haven't worked everything out in my head yet - which is still foggy at the moment (to the point where I can't focus on the keyboard anymore, so this will probably be my last post for the night), but hopefully it will spark some idea that you can take and run with.

Dino.

The14thDr

Thanks for the idea Dino!! ;D In the summer I'm going to start teaching myself circuits and electronics (so that I can wire up the switches on my TARDIS to do various things, so I'll give this a try as well. Thanks again!

The14thDr

Jun 24, 2016, 03:15 pm #13 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 06:58 pm by The14thDr
Rather than making a brand new cube, I printed out the graphic that Dino posted above and glued the number 3 to the front of my existing foam cube.
IMG_20160624_1603167_rewind_kindlephoto-87247.jpg

This cube doesn't light up, but I will be making another cube soon with the glowing "3", as well as the rest of my army of cubes!!! ;D ;D :D <laughs like a madman>

EDIT: Here are the links to the Shakri Cube templates that Dino posted in the comments above:
http://static.radiotimes.com/editorial/DWCube-A4v2.pdf
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-09-21/make-your-own-doctor-who-the-power-of-three-cube

galacticprobe

Jun 25, 2016, 04:17 am #14 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 04:17 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Jun 24, 2016, 03:15 pm
...I printed out the graphic that Dino posted above and glued the number 3 to the front of my existing foam cube.

14th, you might want to edit your post above to include those two links I posted. When you posted your Update, it collapsed the comments, and when you mention the graphic I posted, it could leave new members wondering where those graphics are. At least if you have the links in your Update then they'll always be visible to everyone.

This cube doesn't light up, but I will be making another cube soon with the glowing "3",...

I'll be looking forward to seeing that!

...as well as the rest of my army of cubes!!! ;D ;D :D <laughs like a madman>

<with a box!> ;D ;D ;D

Dino.