Mar 01, 2024, 10:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mark's Cardboard NSD/2005 Dalek

Started by Mark, Mar 20, 2016, 09:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Dino, I always thought that should I ever have a build diary that warrented it, then a Dino "Envy" would be the greatest accolade.

I'm more pleased to have a Dino "speechless"!
  ;D

Got through 4 blades and countless glue sticks for that last update. Possibly more tomorrow, depends if I can be bothered once I return from hell, I mean Work.

galacticprobe

Mar 25, 2016, 05:23 am #16 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2016, 05:24 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Mark on Mar 24, 2016, 05:35 pm
I always thought that should I ever have a build diary... a Dino "Envy" would be the greatest accolade.

I'm more pleased to have a Dino "speechless"!
 ;D

Still speechless, but now have both!
Envy(medium).jpg
Every letter of it very well earned!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Holy moly, look at the accuracy cutting in that!

Stunning stuff and in cardboard!
Regards
David

Mark

Oddly I never got a notification that you had posted Dino, but wow!  :o Thanks.

With an "Envy" like that I'm going to have to up my game. I have done some more to the build but I'll post an update when there is more to say and show.

Thanks David A. To be honest, I'm as surprised as you because cutting corrugated card can be an absolute arse sometimes.

Some of the shoulder cuts are nowhere near as nice, a lot easier cutting with a metal rule than free hand on a curve!

galacticprobe

Apr 08, 2016, 04:18 am #19 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2016, 04:19 am by galacticprobe
Hey, no need to thank me, Mark. I was very remiss as that ENVY! was way overdue. (I guess you'd left me so speechless I couldn't even think straight enough to put up an ENVY!!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

When its all done Mark, sell the templates to the BBC so every child can make their own pop out full size dalek.
Regards
David

Mark

That's a cool idea, bit like a really massive "Build the TARDIS" book.

Wouldn't be very good bed time reading though lol

Mark

IMG_20160325_193508 small.jpg

We left off with my build beginning to look like a Dalek.

I am genuinely happy with where I'm at with the build however sometimes I do get disheartened by the slow progress. In one build session I  spent 3 hours marking out, cutting and glueing and when I had finished for the day I looked at him and wondered exactly what i had done as there was very little noticeable difference.

A quick browse through other member's brilliant looking completed Daleks in the galleries soon cheered me up and gave me more drive to crack on.

I attached the upper cladding which was straightforward. Unlike the original method I used on the shoulders which was using paper templates, this time I just lined up the bendy cardboard and drew the approriate cutting lines. This method worked ok and the upper cladding was soon done.

It occurred to me that mounting the gun boxes was the next stage I had to tackle in order to carry on any further as everything else depended upon them being in place.

After a lot of pouring over the plans and reference pictures I concluded that I had somehow managed to make the gunboxes slightly wrong which resulted in them being too short in the front to back dimension. A cup of tea later and I concluded that rather than remake the whole things again I could rescue them with a suitable bodge job.

IMG_20160412_194519 small.jpg

My thinking was that once the paper mache had been applied, the actual structures would be sturdy enough.

With these newly adapted boxes compete it meant more chopping away of the shoulder section. Finally after measuring, aligning, trimming and repeating a number of times I was happy with the results.

IMG_20160412_194541 small.jpg

Next along I did some more cladding, this time on the lower section around the back.

IMG_20160412_194605 small.jpg

Last thing for now was to add yet more cladding, this part being the small sections over the top of the gun boxes.

IMG_20160427_153041 small.jpg

A long while ago I mentioned how annoying hot glue could be and this last picture just illustrates the point in question.

IMG_20160406_182336 small.jpg

The completion of the shoulders is getting close and I can then move on to making it  and the neck rings look less cardboardy.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

tony farrell

Quote from: Mark on Apr 27, 2016, 08:27 pm
IMG_20160325_193508 small.jpg

We left off with my build beginning to look like a Dalek.

I am genuinely happy with where I'm at with the build.

And so you should be!

T

galacticprobe

Apr 28, 2016, 03:47 pm #24 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 03:47 pm by galacticprobe
I agree with Tony. I knew cardboard was versatile, but you've taken its capabilities to a whole new level!

Dino.

Mark

Thanks guys, coming from you two (and Russell) I am made up.

Tony, I have seen your Dalek on "the other channel" and it is awesome, and you have a rotating gun section! How cool is that!

Dino, cardboard is versatile however sometimes annoying and time consuming LoL. I have some interesting ideas for the dome however if they don't work I shall go with the tried and tested "16 segment" method.

I've also been thinking about how practical a full size cardboard TARDIS/Police Box may be. Very doable however thoughts in progress at the minute....

tony farrell

Apr 29, 2016, 07:54 pm #26 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2016, 08:03 pm by Tony Farrell
Blimey Mark, you've got a good memory, it must be eight years ago that I built the rotating shoulder section and five years since I last took him to Gloucester and the Royal Air Tattoo!

It was easy enough to get the shoulders to move either left or right but they never went all the way round:

Just make an essentially open-sided inner cylinder - slightly taller than the shoulders - fit small ball-bearings to the underside of the shoulders and slot your shoulders over the inner cylinder and put the neck-bin on top of the whole thing! The inside cylinder needs to have big voids in the walls to allow things like the gun and arm not to snag as the outer shoulders are rotated and you can't get away with anything but a solid back otherwise it won't take the weight of the neck-bin and dome (and hence the reason why the shoulders can't be rotated through 360 degrees)!

The partial rotation of the shoulders actually works better with the Dalek as a static display as, when the inner cylinder is fitted, there's even less room inside than normal. For chasing the kiddos, it's much easier not to fit the inner cylinder at all.

All the spacing uprights on your build remind me of how my Dalek looked before I put the cladding on. It's amazing how people completely independently come up with the same solutions to a problem. It looks really good!

T

elkad

I just found this thread today & was wondering if any progress has bin don since then? I curious how It's going to turn out, & want to maybe add some suggestions for making the head piece, dome lights & armatures.