Apr 19, 2024, 12:53 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Recent work

Started by gravitydeficit, Mar 14, 2016, 06:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gravitydeficit

Just a note of thanks to this site, for providing so much information and history. My simple doorway may not qualify as a Tardis build, but I hope you will indulge. I opted for some mixture of the early and late props, and with some upset to scaling as necessary.

I just wanted to note one observation on the colour. I was told by a friend that there was a dulux colour called Tardis Blue, which there is. It is a blue, but with a tinge of green which is likely a result of a colour match off one of the props. I did not go for this colour as each of us has an idea about which colour is right as it were, and I went for a regent blue, (used to be called royal blue I think) and loosely based on the colour of woad. I note that this green tinge is exactly that obtained when using only one coat of the royal blue over an undercoat white, which has a hint of yellow. As a handyman painter I am used to changes in colour and mixing etc. I propose that the origin of the dulux tardis colour may be less a result of BBC design and more about the speed needed to paint the prop. Two coats see's this effect disappear.

My best wishes to all you Tardis lovers!

IMG_6355.JPG

russellsuthern

Hi there,

I think that's a great job!
Nice detailing & the colour looks spot on.

I think TARDIS doorways should certainly count as builds.
For people who can''t or don't want to attempt a full build, the doorway TARDIS is a great alternative.

If I had my way, every door in my house would look like this!

All the best,

Russell

galacticprobe

Mar 14, 2016, 05:50 pm #2 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2016, 05:50 pm by galacticprobe
I agree; this definitely counts as a build and we have several TARDIS doors in doorway builds posted here. Great job on this one (and if I didn't know better, I'd say you used my pre-War 4-hole mount St. John Ambulance logo graphic for your door ;)).

And if I'm right about the logo, I love it when I see someone using the graphics that I posted. It makes a build that much more special in my book!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Mark

I have to say I had to look several times before I realised that the door panels and door divider were infact painted on. They look so realistic. Amazing paint work there, and a great TARDIS build.

davidnagel

Quote from: Mark on Mar 14, 2016, 09:25 pm
I have to say I had to look several times before I realised that the door panels and door divider were infact painted on. They look so realistic. Amazing paint work there, and a great TARDIS build.

OH! So they are!! I didn't realise either haha

Nice doorway!
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Mar 15, 2016, 05:01 am #5 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2016, 05:01 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: davidnagel on Mar 14, 2016, 09:50 pm
OH! So they are!! I didn't realise either haha

Might as well count me in on this. I didn't notice it either! I thought this was an actual 3-D, normally-built set of TARDIS doors! Great painting talent you have there!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"