Apr 26, 2024, 02:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sonic Screwdriver Display rack MK 2

Started by Davros Skaro, Feb 24, 2018, 12:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Davros Skaro

Feb 24, 2018, 12:18 am Last Edit: Feb 24, 2018, 01:40 am by Davros Skaro
OK, finally got around to doing this, (to be honest I thought I had done this ages ago but), I had acquired some more sonic screwdrivers so needed a bigger rack, so instead of going higher, I went compact.
These pics show what I had planed & designed just had to make it.
Over all size is 242w x 190h x 130 deep.
Sonic Rack Mk 2.6.jpg

There's a front, middle & rear section to this, the front & middle are the main pieces at this point. The second part of the pic shows the size of the holes needed for the sonics. Where there are 2 sizes the top refers to the front size hole, the bottom is the middle size. The holes in the middle are 15mm lower than the front, so that the sonics sit at a slight angle.
This pic gives the measurements for drawing it all up. I hope it makes sense to others.
Sonic Rack Mk 2.7.jpg

I drew it up on some coloured card 1.2 mm thick. Then glued the front onto some foam board for strength, & cut them out with a circle cutter carefully. the middle I left as card (not glued to foam board. When these are done I made the sides & back from foam board. Sides are120mm wide, back is same as the front. Then with the sides, I cut a thin channel 87mm from the front edge, for the middle piece of card to slide into, which I also had to trim 3mm off each side of. I then glued the front, sides & back together with PVA glue making sure ti was square, measured the inside size & cut a base. This would give it strength & KEEP it square.I also cut a slot in the base for the middle piece to sit in too.

Here is the finished build so it will make more sense of what I have said.
100_0166.JPG
100_0164.JPG
100_0169.JPG
These are my "2nd" Doctor's sonics, 3 variations, The 6th doctors laser, & Romana's sonic that I made.
100_0168.JPG

Hope you like.

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Now that is cool! I love the "wine bottle rack" idea - you can store loads more sonics but I can't imagine it taking up much more space than your Mk.1 design.

In a word: genius!
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Feb 24, 2018, 03:45 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2018, 04:50 pm by galacticprobe
I would love to see something like this in Series 11 - hidden behind one of "the round things" in the console room. (I mean, they had them all sitting on the desk in that holder thingy throughout Series 10, so why not have them available in Series 11 as well?)

The Doctor could just walk up to a round thing, open it up, look over the "wine rack" of sonics, and then pull out the one she thinks is best for the job. (And that's something I never thought I'd hear myself say about the Doctor - the one she thinks is best.)

I can't wait until October! :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

d33j r093r5

Feb 24, 2018, 08:44 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2018, 08:44 pm by d33j r093r5
That is very cool, you can effectively show off a very large number of your collection and not have it take up so much space. And this is expandable too, in a whole variety of ways, so if your collection does expand hugely, the design can be very simply "added-to". In fact, you've given me some ideas for modularity with my own design, so when I finally revisit it I can incorporate that! :) Another aspect of the brilliance of this is that, even if the stand does need to get bigger as the collection grows, the stand itself isn't going to increase that much, if at all; certainly, the footprint need get no bigger.

Bravo sir, bravo! :)

D.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

Davros Skaro

Thanks for the great compliments guys, the main reason for doing this one was space, which it took up a lot less of. when I get my "3rd Doctor's door opener" done it can go in there too, same for any other custom builds.
Quote from: d33j r093r5 on Feb 24, 2018, 08:44 pm

Bravo sir, bravo! :)

D.

Thank you, & I was watching "The Next Doctor" with the cybernen just last night too!  :D

Chris.
Chris.

Davros Skaro

Feb 25, 2018, 01:54 am #5 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2018, 01:56 am by Davros Skaro
Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 24, 2018, 12:00 pm
Now that is cool! I love the "wine bottle rack" idea - you can store loads more sonics but I can't imagine it taking up much more space than your Mk.1 design.

In a word: genius!

Your comment gave me the thought of taking a photo of the 2 together, so just for comparison here they are together in the same pic. MK 2 is a lot more compact & expandable. :) ;)

100_0171.JPG

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Feb 25, 2018, 10:03 am #6 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2018, 05:44 am by The14thDr
Wow - that’s half the size but with slmost triple the storage capacity! A brilliant design... absolutely brilliant. :)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

steve757

Very precise construction, and you can see all the details of the sonics too.  Great design!

Davros Skaro

Quote from: steve757 on Apr 29, 2018, 11:23 pm
Very precise construction, and you can see all the details of the sonics too.  Great design!

Thanks for the compliment, I'm happy with it, makes & keeps things tidy too!  :)

Chris.
Chris.