Apr 16, 2024, 04:09 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005-2009 Console Rim Source?

Started by Elvis Gump, Nov 03, 2013, 06:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis Gump

Nov 03, 2013, 06:20 pm Last Edit: Nov 03, 2013, 06:21 pm by Elvis Gump
I was watching playback of the American CBS Sunday Morning show a bit ago and I was about to fast-forward through a story on country music star Kenny Chesney when I happened to notice a image, presumably from a video for his song "Spread the Love" recorded with The Wailers in what I'm guessing was Jamaica. There were various shots of kids playing in the video, but one shot looking up at these kids on a balcony made me dive for the rewind and pause. It's the attached image of the underside of the deck planks they are standing on. They aren't just sort of close, but dead ringers for the oval-ish indented boards used on the rim of the Eccleston/Tennant era console. I always assumed those little oval details were routed into whatever material they used, but I wonder if it was in fact this decking material? I can only guess that this stuff is probably some composite material like a lot of decking is nowadays and that the ovals are part of the moulding process, perhaps to save material on the underside.

I don't recall ever seeing anything about that here, though admittedly this maybe very old news, but I thought I'd share it if it was any value or possibly something no one else had run across.

I cannot find any music video on YouTube for the "Share the Love" song that contains this, nor does CBS Sunday Morning have it available as video so I shot these captures right off the TV.
Boards1.jpgBoards2.jpg

superrichi1a

Wow... OK that is some find!
The lower part of the rim was made from thin white PVC bent around between the framework, that much was obvious at the DWE where on one section a large amount of Plastikote has actually come off revealing the material beneath.
The upper section during the Eccleston days we'll probably never know about, as almost certainly is was destroyed after the move, but that was almost certainly custom shaped by a prop maker as the recesses are uneven, different sizes and different depths.
What's interesting is that the second upper section they used seems to be a pretty dead-on match to this, like you say.
To be honest that's all the knowledge I could give, maybe someone could make deductions based on the backstory?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

FloppyDiskNinja

How interesting, it would seem these are made of metal to me???

what an odd place to find a potential Dr Who prop  ;)

-FDN

galacticprobe

Nov 04, 2013, 06:55 am #3 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2013, 07:00 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: FloppyDiskNinja on Nov 04, 2013, 03:58 am
what an odd place to find a potential Dr Who prop  ;)

I've come to the conclusion that no place is odd when it comes to finding potential parts for a 'Doctor Who' prop. We have the Pyrene Fire Extinguisher that was clipped to the Eccleston/Tennant console (the part invented in Delaware, USA). Then there was that Italian boat/ship throttle used for the Demat Lever on the 2010 console; that console also had a brake master cylinder from a car that I "think" wasn't from the UK. (I can't remember what car that came from and darned if I can find the post that ID'd that part now!)

So I think pretty much anywhere on Earth is a good hunting ground for bits of 'Who' props.

(And now it's time to "try" to get some sleep. Early flight to visit my mom in Arizona for two weeks, and I HATE flying!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Elvis Gump

Feb 01, 2016, 05:10 am #4 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2016, 05:35 am by Elvis Gump
I'm resurrecting this sleepy old thread because of something I saw a little while ago.
Though I've never watched "Downton Abby" I came in from the shop and sat down for a second to check email and it was playing on the TV and by happenstance I looked up when about to change the channel and spotted this detail in the kitchen - which I assume is a built set.
mast-da-s4-spotlight-food-10.jpg

I found a picture of the set and blew this up and what do my amazed eyes does appear under the sinks in the scene
Downton Abby Kitchen Rail.jpg

I wonder if this is just a bizarre coincidence, or is this some sort of molding either once available for old houses or sourced, or a detail made up for the set?

It sure looks the right size, shape and spacing for the recessed ovals on the old Eccleston/Tennant console doesn't it?

rail 2.jpg
rail 3.jpg
No message is associated with this attachment.
rail 5.jpg

Am I on to something or just seeing Doctor Who stuff in my imagination?

galacticprobe

Feb 01, 2016, 07:07 am #5 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2016, 07:10 am by galacticprobe
Well, Elvis, this makes two possibilities for a source of those "dimples" on the 2005 console rim that you've found. Although, since 'Downton' is filmed in an actual house (Highclere Castle), I don't know how much of the "sets" are studio-built, and how much is of the actual Castle structure. That said, I still think your first discovery of that planking on the balconies is the best bet. It has more room to "play with" for casting a mould for fabricating that part of the rim, whereas the part of the sink in the 'Downton' kitchen has a much smaller area.

Still, you've got some great eyes to have made that catch!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Just to let people know, only the exteriors and 'state rooms' are filmed at Highclere castle in Hampshire, 'below stairs' was filmed on purpose built sets.

T

Elvis Gump

The more I looked at it I wondered if the sinks are copper and the wood looks like a close color stain on wood or are those indents moulded to the sink rim. Its too low rez to tell. I would bet money those are studio sets seeing as you'd want wild walls you could pull back and maneuver a dolly into or have space for a guy with a steady-cam, but I've never watched the show to know. Lotta DW past actors in it...