Apr 20, 2024, 01:41 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Doctor's Baby Cot

Started by galacticprobe, Feb 11, 2016, 05:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Feb 11, 2016, 05:43 am Last Edit: Feb 11, 2016, 06:35 am by galacticprobe
Hey, All! I've seen the Doctor's baby cot referenced once before in another topic (somewhere), and I just made reference to it again in a post. Then I discovered there are no reference images for it at all! So I thought I would get this one started (with hopefully more contributions from other members). I found these while trolling the net way back after Series 6a took us to that long mid-series break.

DoctorCot01.jpg
Nice side view, showing the mobile and its hanging mechanism (and of course the Doctor's name on the side). It also shows the "headboard backing" (more on that in a few) with that Time Lord-ish "notch" cut out of the top. It looks like that backing is made from four separate pieces of wood... well, 3 1/2 or so pieces anyway.

DoctorCot02.jpg
Here's another view of the side and the Doctor's name. (There are plenty of graphics for the Doctor's name out there - some goodly-sized - for someone to use as a template for carving this into the wood. Just Google it and search the Images.) This image also shows the curl on the ends of the rockers.

DoctorCot03.jpg
Sort of an off-angle view, showing some details on the finials. (Sorry it's not the best image.)

DoctorCot04.jpg
Another off-angle view... I know it's fuzzier than the last, but at least it's an image to reference. :P

DoctorCot05.jpg
Here's a view looking in towards the "headboard". (I told you I'd get to it in a few.) Much sharper of an image than the last two! This one shows the inner headboard is one piece (probably of ply), and again it shows the headboard "backing" with that Time Lord-ish notch in the center is made from more than just one board. It also shows some inside corner construction, and more details on the mobile.

DoctorCot06.jpg
End view, a little higher up looking into the cot. With more of the headboard visible it does look like the inner board was made from one sheet. This is also a nice view of how the scalloped bit over the opening notches onto the side rails. And again some details on the mobile.

DoctorCot07.jpg
A real end view, showing more details on the finials and that Gallifreyan writing on the outer footboards. A little more detail on the rockers, but not as great as I would have liked to present to everyone. (Maybe a little lightening will help?)

DoctorCot07a.jpg
Okay... so... a lot of lightening! (Sorry about the glare - and someone thought it would take J.J.Abrams to bring "lens flare" to 'Doctor Who'! <cue maniacal laughter like Renfield>) It shows a minuscule more of the rockers' shapes, but it does give a better look at the base of the cot where it meets the sides.

DoctorCot08.jpg
This is a nice view of the footboard and the Galligreyan writing on it. Again I've seen this graphic on the net using a Google Image search, again for things like the Doctor's name.

DoctorCot09.jpg
One final image, this one being a cropped and much lightened version of the fifth image down. (Yeah; these images were huge and I had to reduce their size somewhat, but if you open them in a new tab or window you might get larger images. If anyone wants the really large images, just shoot me an e-mail, or a PM with your e-mail. Some are over 2,000 by 3,000 pixels, at about 2 MB file size.)

I lightened this one because as I looked at these, something inside caught my eye. And sure enough, there is a Gallifreyan symbol on the inner headboard! I can't quite make it out, but it is definitely there. (Maybe someone with a better image could help out with this?)

And that's all I've got for the Doctor's baby cot. If anyone recognizes any of these images, please speak out so the proper person gets the credit for them. As I mentioned, I found these a few years ago and I can't remember where. But I hope everyone enjoys them, and others are inspired to contribute their images of the cot if they have any (maybe even some showing more details of those rockers and how they attach to the bottom).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Aug 21, 2016, 11:39 am #1 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2016, 11:39 am by The14thDr
Here's a photo of the cot from the Doctor Who: The Vault book:
Screenshot_2016-08-21-12-35-25_kindlephoto-10628410.jpg
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Aug 22, 2016, 04:45 am #2 Last Edit: Aug 22, 2016, 04:45 am by galacticprobe
Now there is an excellent image for that large symbol on the headboard inside the cot! Thanks for posting that, 14th! (I think I may have to pick up The Vault after all. I've been seeing too many interesting images coming from it.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"