Apr 19, 2024, 09:44 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Vortex Manipulators

Started by d0ct0r200004, Jan 25, 2016, 04:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

d0ct0r200004

So, I came across the guy who made the original vortex manipulator's site today, and found no topic had been opened on reference for it, so I thought I'd rectify this.

jackharknessvm.jpg

This image is the one from 05, the exact prop, something I've noticed (and something I'm sure you will once you see the 2013 version) is that it looks a bit scruffy. the lines aren't straight and stuff like that.

jackharknessvm2.jpg

Not sure which episode that one is taken from but gives more good reference.

jackharknessvm3.jpg

This is a image of the 2013 version made by Rubbertoe (or Nick Robatto) rather then by Mark Cordory (who created the original)

jackharknessvm4.jpg

Now, something intresting I found on Mark's website was this:

johnhartvm.jpg

John Hart's Vortex Manipulator. His has notable differences to Jack's, one being the colour, of the strap and speaker, the strap being black the the grill matching the rest of the Vortex Manipulator, I've also noticed it's a lot dirtier. I didn't know John had his own one that was different from Jack's, but there you go.

These were the best reference images I could find on the two websites (http://www.rubbertoereplicas.com/ and http://www.markcordory.com/Site/Welcome.html) but I'm sure there is more and greater reference in Torchwood episodes and Doctor Who Episodes. I'll look later.
-Doc204

d0ct0r200004

So I've found some more images, one of Jack's up close

vortexmanipulator.png

and one of John Hart's up close

johnhartvortexmanipulator.jpg

I've also found some images of the one used in series 5 by the Doctor and River

doctorvortexmanipulator.png

doctorvortexmanipulator2.jpg

I think this one looks slightly different then Jack's but it could be the same prop, who knows?

If I find more images, I'll post them here.
-Doc204

galacticprobe

Jan 26, 2016, 04:40 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2016, 04:52 am by galacticprobe
The differences I noticed (aside from the clean vs. weathered look) are:

Jack's:
-Brown wrist band
-buttons are the same silver as the faceplate
-the lighted bits are blue
-speaker grille is gold/brass

John Hart's:
-Black wristband
-buttons are a slightly different silver than the faceplate (possibly grey buttons)
-the lighted bits are red
-the speaker grille is the same silver as the rest of the faceplate

River's:
-Wristband color? (Hard to tell in those photos. I'm sure someone's got a grab of it in a white light.)
-buttons are dark in contrast to the silver faceplate (much darker, possibly even black)
-lighted bits - not lit up, so not sure what color they are (again someone might have a grab of that)
-the speaker grille is set in a noticeably-raised bezel, where as the others' bezels are almost flush with the faceplate

Rubbertoe's:
-Looks like Jack's
-one of the buttons has what looks like a light on it that none of the other versions have.

Just curious, but does anyone have any good photos of the CO toy version to see how close they got with accuracy?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

d0ct0r200004

Jan 26, 2016, 11:29 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2016, 11:32 am by d0ct0r200004
That bit sticking out of the button on Rubbertoe's is the button to activate the lights, they later updated it to be the button as a whole.

[EDIT]

Up close shot of the CO Vortex Manipulator:

image.jpeg
-Doc204

galacticprobe

Jan 27, 2016, 12:23 am #4 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016, 12:24 am by galacticprobe
Wow. Looks like CO didn't do such a bad job on the thing. It looks like it can actually be a great reference for a home-made replica. All it needs is a little fine-point black paint pen in a couple of areas (mostly in those two "slots" next to the speaker grille) and it will pretty much match that second image of the prop you posted. (Now I wish I'd gotten one when they were plentiful. Oh well, maybe an eBay search will turn up one at a reasonable price. Nice Valentine's gift for the wife? :))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Jul 01, 2016, 05:44 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017, 09:46 pm by The14thDr
I think in these photos, River's vortex manipulator looks brown (which makes sense, as I think in The Pandorica Opens, it was heavily implied that the vortex manipulator belonged to Captain Jack, as Dorium said it was "fresh off the wrist of a handsome Time Agent")

Also, in the first photo, I'm not sure if it's just a trick of the light, but the three buttons along the top do appear to be painted black.
doctorvortexmanipulator.png
Screenshot_2016-07-01-16-57-26_kindlephoto-4213775.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the vortex manipulators worn by Missy and Clara in The Magician's Apprentice and The Witch's Familiar. Both of these manipulators are brown, so I wonder if they just re-used a couple of spare Captain Jack vortex manipulators that were kicking around the props department?
tumblr_ntbxn7YZFc1r9jgwdo1_r1_500_kindlephoto-5395903.jpg
missy-clara-vortex-manipulator.jpeg

As for the CO vortex manipulator toy, I have one that I bought for £40 on eBay last year (although I believe the watch version is a lot cheaper). My only complaint with CO's vortex manipulator, however, is the fact that it is roughly 3/4 of the size of the original prop.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

davidnagel

Jul 01, 2016, 07:43 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 01, 2016, 07:43 pm by davidnagel
Side comment and OT a little, the image of Smith next to the Pandorica... the device on his chest looks awfully like the old sonic screwdriver (obviously it isn't) but the shape is very similar...

5L5lTA8.jpg

Drag and drop the image into a new tab to see it slightly larger.
Regards
David

d0ct0r200004

The prop used since 2013 is made by Rubbertoe, as the previous versions went "missing" after the 2011 series of Torchwood. Rubbertoe's are bigger then the previous versions i believe.
-Doc204

The14thDr

May 23, 2017, 06:30 pm #8 Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:31 pm by The14thDr
I found this on Pinterest, so I've no idea where it came before that, but it appears to be an article from one of the Doctor Who Adventures magazines. Just thought it might be of interest to someone.
f7e424a39c48ea549763abbcaf0b2ec2.jpg

d0ct0r200004

That is from one of the Doctor Who Mags, When I was younger I built it. Had it for ages. can't remember what happened to it. Doctor Who Adventures I think the magazine is
-Doc204

The14thDr

Found another scan from the same issue with some instructions for assembling the template. ;D
IMG_1788.JPG

lofiscifi

Does anyone know what the 3 x oval-shaped may have been sourced from? I know the circular directional pad is from an old Samsung A300 flip phone, so I'm assuming the buttons are also found objects.

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 14.45.34.png

BioDoctor900

Ironically I've just bought one of these phones for my vortex manipulator. I have a feeling the oval buttons were found too, I'm just not sure what off, although id like to know what

BioDoctor900

Davros Skaro

I could be wrong here, but going out on a limb & saying that those oval buttons look like they're off the front panel of an old video machine. Couldn't tell you a make or model, but they look like one I use to have years ago.

Chris.
Chris.

lofiscifi

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Nov 30, 2017, 05:11 am
I could be wrong here, but going out on a limb & saying that those oval buttons look like they're off the front panel of an old video machine. Couldn't tell you a make or model, but they look like one I use to have years ago.

Chris.

I know exactly what you mean ... mind you, they're only small - they can't be any wider than 14mm (the disc button is 15mm) - so I'm thinking a cheap handheld device, maybe a remote control of another mobile handset? Never mind, just thought I'd put the question out there. :)

Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Nov 30, 2017, 12:33 am
Ironically I've just bought one of these phones for my vortex manipulator. I have a feeling the oval buttons were found too, I'm just not sure what off, although id like to know what

BioDoctor900

What did you end up using in the end? I've seen a few 3D-printed options on the likes of Shapeways, but I'm still not convinced they're the correct size.