May 23, 2024, 10:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A classic sonic chassis suggestion...

Started by Volpone, Jan 09, 2016, 06:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Hi guys.  Once upon a time, I built a sonic screwdriver.  Then I lost the emitter on it.  As I was struggling to build a new, better emitter, I realized I could just buy the Character Options toy and customize it a bit and call it good.  So I'm not in looking to build a sonic right now, but if I had more time on my hands than I knew what to do with...

The other day I was replacing the toilet paper roll so I decided to take a photo of the spring-loaded axle the roll goes on: 
20151107_104720.jpg
A little grinding on the base end, a cut to expose the spring inside, and a coat of silver paint, and you're well on the way to a sonic screwdriver.  You'd need a mini flashlight of a big clunky pen or assorted plumbing bits for the top of the body.  Then I think WWII airplane model parts would be a good (if not very sturdy) choice for your emitter (an airplane propeller nose cone and maybe 3 cylinders from a radial engine for the core) and you could build a pretty cool custom sonic. 

They do have chrome metal toilet paper thingies, but they are generally thinner so you don't get the proper profile (I think). 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

handofomega

;D Great minds and all that.  I have often thought the same thing.

Volpone

Concur. I always kind of thought the same thing, but when you actually put them side by side, it is eerie, how close it is.  The dimensions are almost dead-on. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.