Mar 28, 2024, 08:24 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

River Song's Sonic Trowel

Started by kolchak92, Jan 05, 2016, 03:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Oh how I envy you people who have access to 3D printers... ;D Maybe in a few years time when they cost the same as a normal printer, perhaps? :P
With the trowel part of this being completely flat, I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the concept and use it as a template to be cut out of a material of your choosing (or maybe create a CAD design for those of you who have access to a laser cutter).

The handle could be made on a wood lathe, or by using a piece of wooden dowel.
In the week I might have a go at manipulating and extrapolating the concept art to include complete measurements for every part of the prop, just to make it easier for anyone wanting to replicate the sonic trowel (as if we don't all have enough sonic devices already ;D ;D)

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

May 01, 2016, 08:45 pm #16 Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:54 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 30, 2016, 06:17 pm
In the week I might have a go at manipulating and extrapolating the concept art to include complete measurements for every part of the prop, just to make it easier for anyone wanting to replicate the sonic trowel (as if we don't all have enough sonic devices already ;D ;D)

"Who looks at a trowel and thinks, 'Oooh, this could be a little more sonic'?" ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

d0ct0r200004

-Doc204

galacticprobe

May 03, 2016, 04:29 pm #18 Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:02 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: d0ct0r200004 on May 02, 2016, 08:12 pm
Dat hurt, Dino :P

Not the intention, believe me (hence the winky and all the smiley faces). But with all the talk on this thread about the sonic trowel, I just couldn't resist paraphrasing Captain Jack from "The Doctor Dances" when he has his exchange with the Doctor over a 'sonic screwdriver':

Jack (brandishing his blaster at the encroaching gas masked crowd): "Okay. This can function as a sonic blaster, a sonic cannon, and a triple-enfolded sonic disruptor. Doc, what you got?"
The Doctor (holding his sonic screwdriver that Jack hasn't seen yet): "A sonic, er... oh, never mind."
Jack: "What?"
The Doctor: "It's sonic, okay? Let's leave it at that."
Jack: "Disruptor? Cannon? What?"
The Doctor: "It's sonic! Totally sonic! I am sonicked up!"
Jack: "A sonic what?!"
The Doctor: "SCREWDRIVER!"
(After dropping through the floor to escape the gas mask people)
Jack: "Who has a sonic screwdriver?"
The Doctor: "I do!"
Jack: "Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks 'ooh, this could be a little more sonic'?"
The Doctor (somewhat insulted): "What, you've never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?"

And with that reference the War Doctor made in the 50th when the 10th and 11th Doctors were pointing their sonics at the soldiers -
War Doctor: "Oh, the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?"

In "The Husbands of River Song" I was just waiting for the 12th Doctor to say to River "Who looks at a trowel and thinks 'ooh, this could be a little more sonic'?" Alas, he never said it, even though the reference was there for the saying.

So my comment was all done in jest, erm, (can I just call you "004" - as in "Double-Oh-Four"?). No malice or intent to cause hurt.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

d0ct0r200004

May 11, 2016, 02:28 pm #19 Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:28 pm by d0ct0r200004
I understood the reference, hence the :P.

Also yeah, feel free to call me 004
-Doc204

13drwho

I started working on a 3D model for this. Pictures soon!

13drwho

May 11, 2016, 11:24 pm #21 Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:25 pm by 13drwho
Here's a first pass at the Sonic Trowel for 3D printing. It's not perfect, but I think it's a good start. Let me know what you think. (I need to start my own thread, sorry for the hijack)

sonic trowel dimetric.JPG

sonic trowel side.JPG

sonic trowel top.JPG

galacticprobe

May 12, 2016, 07:18 am #22 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:19 am by galacticprobe
I don't think you need to start a separate thread, The Jason. Just PM one of the Mods and ask them to split this topic starting with your post where you said "I started working on a 3D model for this. Pictures soon!" and I'm sure they'll split it. That way you won't have to worry about reposting your images and having them here as well.

Dino.

The14thDr

May 13, 2016, 05:02 pm #23 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:05 pm by The14thDr
For anyone wanting to build the sonic trowel from scratch, I've started adapting the BBC concept art with measurements for each part of the trowel. So far I have only managed to complete the handle, but over the next few weeks I hope to add measurements for the rest of the prop (between that and juggling the 10,000 other projects I've started ;D ;D)
Sonic Trowel MEASUREMENTS.jpg

"Would you like a jelly baby?"

kolchak92

Quote from: 13drwho on May 11, 2016, 11:24 pm
Here's a first pass at the Sonic Trowel for 3D printing. It's not perfect, but I think it's a good start. Let me know what you think. (I need to start my own thread, sorry for the hijack)

sonic trowel dimetric.JPG

sonic trowel side.JPG

sonic trowel top.JPG

Looking good sir! And its ok! Hijack away. That's why I started this thread, because no one else did and I like seeing all the replies and posts made :)
J.
"Door? Boring. Not me."

kolchak92

Quote from: The14thDr on May 13, 2016, 05:02 pm
For anyone wanting to build the sonic trowel from scratch, I've started adapting the BBC concept art with measurements for each part of the trowel. So far I have only managed to complete the handle, but over the next few weeks I hope to add measurements for the rest of the prop (between that and juggling the 10,000 other projects I've started ;D ;D)
Sonic Trowel MEASUREMENTS.jpg

This is great! Thanks for posting this! I haven't had a chance to start building mine bc I've been designing and researching for a new and different DW cosplay. In my final version I'm going to include the circuit board etching that is shown in the storyboard drawings. :) Thanks again!
J.
"Door? Boring. Not me."

13drwho

Jun 24, 2016, 03:14 pm #26 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016, 01:44 am by 13drwho
I have been working on my model. I got some picture off the internet that might help others wanting to make one. There are several major differences between the concept and the actual prop. I originally modeled mine from the concept art (which is a great starting point), but now I'm reworking it. Here are some reference pictures...

Vlcsnap-2015-12-27-17h42m08s357.png

These_are_the_original_designs_for_River_Song_s_sonic_trowel.jpg

0e2ec1738bd69d7df81f2ef99ef85ded.jpg

galacticprobe

Jun 25, 2016, 04:07 am #27 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 04:07 am by galacticprobe
Nice images, The Jason! It's a shame, though, that the last one is so small because it looks like it has a great view of the handle. Are you going to post a few photos of your replica as you started it so we can see how you modify it? Or are you still working on the rendering stage at this point?

Dino.

13drwho

I took the concept art and drew my notes on it for anyone wanting to recreate the sonic trowel. I will be starting a thread soon for my replica.

sonic trowel practicle.jpg

kolchak92

That looks great 13drwho! I'm so excited to see others posting on this thread. :) I'm looking forward to seeing the final props you guys build! When I get around to making mine, I will post, been working on schematics and templates for a Ghostbuster project. After its finalized, I will begin working on this sonic :)
J.
"Door? Boring. Not me."