News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Steampunk Console Project

Started by douglas442, Jan 02, 2016, 01:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas442

Sep 17, 2018, 07:34 am #105 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018, 12:18 pm by douglas442
Oh... I can't believe it.

I can't believe that it's now been almost seven whole months since I last posted even a single word, here. And I apologize... again... sincerely, for my current apparent lack of initiative in this matter.

So, having said that... now for some rants and excuses:

It's just that the past many months have been increasingly filled with so many problems, distractions, obstructions, suspicions, and worries... particularly suspicions and worries... that it's been becoming rather hard to focus. But even worse than all of those is the very most peculiar of sensations.

Some might just call it angst, or getting caught up in that "universal sense of uncertainty and paranoia". But, for me, it's been something more like my having a very spoiled and relentlessly tantrum-throwing child daily screaming non-stop and incoherent gibberish directly into my ears.

There are no children living here, though. Except for myself. But still... every day. Every time I watch the news and commentary. Every single day, now. For over a year-and-a-half!...

Really!...

Mercy! Please!... someone really needs to take away that child's Twitter account! Because I just have to get back to focusing more of my few remaining energies on what I'm trying to accomplish, way out over here, for now.

*sigh!*... although... actually... on a "related" matter... I had wanted to post just a few words on yet even another issue of long-standing concern, just over a couple of weeks ago. And in truth, it's the actual reason why I'm posting here tonight. Especially given the fact that recent headlines, news stories, and consistent observations-of-character concerning a certain associated pair of long-standing mutual string-pulling cronies, have caused dark suspicions to rise to the surface once again. Problem is... that I am still doubtful and uncertain as to whether I have any right to post what might just be "baseless speculation"... especially when it concerns what happened to what was once one of another nation's national treasures. And double that concern, since a number of that very nation's citizens post on this very forum.

Finally, I must confess, that's why I actually wanted, and yet still hesitated, to post something about it just over one year ago... on the twentieth anniversary of an event that basically left the whole world ( yes... including even Fresno, California ) a sadder place. An event which, if it could have been averted, might have actually made our current world a better... and, just possibly, even a much better... place.

Why? Because I am for sure certain that she really was brilliant ( despite having been born into a position that tried to define her whole role in life ). And because I am also equally certain that, in the end, her heart was in the right place.

And so, now... we will never know.    

So, just let me make one thing clear. It's not as if I think that I'm the only one stuck with all of life's little problems. I know that there's currently an abundance of people who have it far worse off. G.O.K., there are currently tens-of-thousands of people, in this country alone ( and millions world-wide ), who have been having their lives shattered, and their homes and dreams destroyed, by wildfires, monster storms, flooding, hurricanes... all of the accelerating ravages of climate-change... only to then be met with the sort of bureaucratic incompetents ( or devious opportunists ) that throws suffering people a role of paper towels ( ask if they really care ) and finally tells disaster victims, basically, to go mop it up on their own.

Now... aren't the now homeless folks just so lucky that a certain "someone", all the while denying climate-change, has simultaneously decided to start a trade war that will push up the costs on necessary building materials and tools. So, rebuilding the homes for disaster victims, and their lives, becomes all the more difficult... if not impossible. A scenario which will also slow down new housing starts, so as to make landlords of currently existing rental properties richer. And finally, not to mention it, a situation which will make what we do, here, even more expensive!

Well, at least it might be good-times ahead for anyone who might happen to be in the family business of making money off of real-estate development and fluctuating property values... someone who has the ego to imagine that he can design the sort of self-serving "public" policies needed to control it.

Phew! So... after that, I guess that I'd better get back on track now...

... except that my left mouse-button has suddenly died... so it will have to be later.

----------------------------------

Parts! Need... more... PARTS!!!

----------------------------------
"Time can paint the Treetops with Colors of the Rainbow... but you cannot find the End, no matter how you try." -Kate Wolf

"... and I find myself on the Mountainside, where the Rivers change direction, across The Great Divide." -Kate Wolf

KIT-KAT

Sorry to hear about all the problems going on :( good to hear your back on track! I bloody love your console!
No, not the mind probe!

douglas442

May 26, 2019, 02:21 am #107 Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:12 pm by douglas442
So, What's the Deal with Big Crystals in the Console Room?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, why not?

After all... Crystals are a Girl's Best Friends...

Oblivion140f.jpg

... are they not?

And, personally, I have nothing against their being used by the TARDIS, as I made clear by posting a few details concerning my Elder Scrolls: Oblivion mods, awhile back. So here's a small update on that issue:

Oblivion176c.jpg

Way back, when my Oblivion player character finally graduated from the Arcane University, and then got herself promoted to Arch Mage ( *sniff*... I was so proud!... ) I ultimately decided to say "the heck with trying to configure my own Ayliad TARDIS prop from scratch", and so I gave her a legitimate POLICE BOX TARDIS ( the nice one submitted by murfy27 ), instead.

... well, it was either that or buy her a new car!

Anyway, I naturally had to start modding that mod right off the bat, and so I added an altered console room with a shiny new stone console which has... you guessed it!... a whacking great glowing crystal for a central column.

Since then, I've gradually added a few other things as well - such as switches and levers that turns on and off the overall lighting; starts up the engines ( a deep resonant thud sound followed by the normal console room hum ); activates the time rotor with a *whoosh!* and a glow surrounding the crystal; and activates the remaining controls by lighting up the panel lamps. There's also a clicky keyboard with ( currently ) 23 keys. Doesn't do anything yet... but there's a crystal ball monitor in front of it, and I've got some ideas.

Currently it can travel to 20 destinations. I'm planning on eventually using a few of the other turn-handles to select from among multiple destination banks of 20 each, including some "off-world" destinations.

Oh!... and there's also a "Pull Me!" rope and handle.

Wait... what's that?... No, Ephraela... you can't have a dragon instead.

They're a bad influence!

---------------------------------------------
"Time can paint the Treetops with Colors of the Rainbow... but you cannot find the End, no matter how you try." -Kate Wolf

"... and I find myself on the Mountainside, where the Rivers change direction, across The Great Divide." -Kate Wolf

douglas442

May 26, 2019, 03:50 am #108 Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:53 am by douglas442
... don't worry folks.

Part of the reason for the post above ( in addition to supplementing some comments in other threads ), was simply to try and get myself back in the habit, or back-in-the-groove, hitting the big Mode Reset button!... to get myself going on this project again.

It seems that, these days, when distractions force me to a grinding [halt!], then inertia takes over, and it's a bit tough getting myself going again.

But I haven't given up.

So... I shall return!

...eventually.

-----------------------

dbobod

Hello Douglas,

I was wondering if you might have made any progress with the Vaporizing Equalizer prop you made a rendering of a while ago.  I am currently working on an Argo replica and I'm not very good at CAD!

douglas442

Jun 21, 2019, 04:57 am #110 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2019, 11:46 am by douglas442
MUST HAVEs and MUST DOs for Time Travelers:

Vaporizing Equalizers and Folk Music Festivals

Quote from: dbobod on Jun 13, 2019, 10:29 pm
Hello Douglas,
I was wondering if you might have made any progress with the Vaporizing Equalizer prop you made a rendering of a while ago.  I am currently working on an Argo replica and I'm not very good at CAD!

I do still have the wavefront .OBJ files for that project. If your interested in having them as a reference that you can display using any one of a number of free 3D modelling apps, then just PM me your email address and I will send them to you ( America Online willing ) when I can.

Though, if you want something you can use for 3D printing, then you might have to wait a bit. I've just looked into some of the file requirement details for 3D printing... and, in several respects the current files are admittedly deficient. I wouldn't want to release anything online that just wouldn't work... but, as it happens, I have been intending to do this for awhile, anyway. So I will be intending to make sure that the files are worth working with before any further releases.

Unfortunately, I'm currently so overloaded with things needing and wanting to be done that straying back into yet another project would be difficult... but the plain-old Object files will, at least, give you a visual perspective on what you might like to try doing... be it by 3D print, or by filing down a piece of half-inch hexagonal brass stock.

Let me know.

------------------------------------------------

Now, then... I'm probably a bit late for attempting an effective and worthwhile plug... so much the usual for the way I do things, these days... but I have been wanting to help call attention to these and related events for awhile now. Well, this one in particular, at least... as a reminder, on a yearly basis, from now on.

Of course, this may have nothing to do with building Steampunk Consoles... or does it?... certainly a background of good music does always make such efforts a little easier! But, anyway... so if anyone should just happen to have time off and they are planning to be in and around the vicinity of Northern California ( ... Mendocino area... or at least in among those parts that haven't yet been burned down... ) next week, then I would heartily recommend the following event ( ... and don't forget to bring a bucket!... just in case... ):

Kate-Wolf-2019-Poster-sm.jpg

If you're wondering why, then my own answer would be nothing less than participation in honoring the memory of the individual for whom the event was named, namely Kate Wolf:

KateWolfSongbookCover1.jpg

Born in 1942 as Kathryn Louise Allen on January 27, Kate had showed signs of talent from an early age, though shyness and the practical demands of life, work, and relationships, eventually forced a postponement of a musical career. But, by the age of 27, the wellspring of her natural abilities could no longer be contained! With considerable renewed dedication, and the support of friends, she began the ascent toward becoming an incredibly talented singer, songwriter, and guitarist. Well deserved recognition began to grow, as the warmth, emotional resonance, and gentle humor of her voice was a perfect match to the heartfelt spectrum of her own music and lyrics, as well as to that of the entire folk and country-folk music scene of the 1970's and 80's.

The early 1980's saw a meteoric rise in her popularity, with highly successful tours, albums, and appearances, culminating in national exposure with an appearance on Austin City Limits in late 1985. Then, with early 1986 leading to an accumulating list of awards, tours, a new album and growing acclaim... that is to say, with her rise to being on the very edge of a stardom that might have endured even to this very day... in April of that year, Kate was diagnosed with acute leukemia.

Despite undergoing chemotherapy ( though... I, myself, would sometimes be tempted to say "because of" ) and despite a temporary remission, we lost this remarkable individual to complications from that terrible disease on December 10th of 1986, at the age of 44.

So... since I've been partially quoting a couple of her lyrics for awhile, now, I'd like to fully quote those
from my favorite, "Across the Great Divide". Why? Oh... I dunno... just seems relevant, somehow:

I've been walkin' in my sleep
Countin' troubles 'stead of countin' sheep
Where the years went I can't say
I just turned around and they've gone away

I've been siftin' through the layers
Of dusty books and faded papers
They tell a story I used to know
And it was one that happened so long ago

It's gone away in yesterday
Now I find myself on the mountainside
Where the rivers change direction
Across the Great Divide

Now, I heard the owl a-callin'
Softly as the night was fallin'
With a question and I replied
But he's gone across the borderline

He's gone away in yesterday
Across the Great Divide

The finest hour that I have seen
Is the one that comes between
The edge of night and the break of day
It's when the darkness rolls away

And it's gone away in yesterday
Across the Great Divide
And it's gone away in yesterday
It's where the rivers change direction
Across the Great Divide

Well... what can you say? It's a strange thing when such Bright Lights are taken away well before their time. Leaving us with... again, what?

Meanwhile...

-------------------------------------------------------