Apr 20, 2024, 12:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BioDoctor900's 12th Doctor Sonic (Series 10)

Started by BioDoctor900, Dec 18, 2015, 03:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BioDoctor900

So something I've been working on for the past 6 hours...thought I'd show you my progress, this is made from things I've found around my flat and through searching through my boxes of random tat

IMAG0322.jpg

1450399795809.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

1450407620113.jpg

Now I await Oblivions build diary  ;D

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Dec 18, 2015, 06:11 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2015, 06:11 am by galacticprobe
Great job, BioDoc! And from all found items, too - very frugal and clever. (And I'll bet Oblivion is already planning his replica, but I wouldn't be surprised if he waited until after the Christmas Special to see how the new sonic operates - whether or not the emitter is only blue or if, as someone suggested, has color-changing "lights" in it - before he dives into his build. I'm looking forward to that one as well, and to seeing yours completed.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BioDoctor900

Dec 18, 2015, 05:17 pm #2 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2015, 05:22 pm by BioDoctor900
Right, apart from the switch cover and the three rings around the emitter tip, it's finished. I'm pretty Damn happy with it and it will be the stand in till CO release theirs. The list of what it's made of are as follows:

Emitter - Straws and a pen
Bottle Top
Brass Ring and button

Square section - Old portable charger case, which houses the switch and the batteries (watch batteries)
Cardboard for switch housing

Claws - Smith Sonic claws
Nuts and cardboard

Handle - Buttons and a washer
Segmented part from interchangeable Sonic toy
Bottom of a Board marker
Coke can metal

End - Washer
Piece of snapped metal
Ariel lead end
End of pen
Screw

Time taken to make, 11 hours over two days

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

galacticprobe

Dec 19, 2015, 05:56 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2015, 05:57 am by galacticprobe
That's a pretty great-looking "stand-in", BioDoc! I'd certainly be proud of that one if I was you!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BioDoctor900

Well I'm pretty happy with this....

Screenshot_2015-12-21-00-35-45.png

;D

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Dec 21, 2015, 06:13 am #5 Last Edit: Dec 21, 2015, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
You should be! How can anyone argue with that?! :o :o :o

Dino.

steve757

Using translucent straws as light pipes is inspired!  Outstanding construction.

BioDoctor900

So I may have taken some time this evening to make the sonic, a bit more sonic ;)...https://www.instagram.com/p/BBGi0rni4-u/

I gutted out the electronics from a CO Smith sonic and wired them up to the switch and the existing flashing lights

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Jan 29, 2016, 09:49 pm #8 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016, 09:50 pm by galacticprobe
Not bad at all, BioDoc! Though, you might want to think about replacing the switch with one of those micro push-button switches (like the kind used to activate the 9th Doctor's, which was slightly reworked for the 10th Doctor's first one (in Series 2), and the 11th Doctor's). That action to get the different sounds looks like it's pretty hard on the thumb - pushing and pulling like that to move the switch. The push-button kind might make it easier. (I know my arthritic thumbs could never handle what I saw you doing! And did anyone notice what kind of activation button was on the actual prop?)

It looks great with the sound and lights.

Dino.

BioDoctor900

The one on the actual prop is a 3 position switch. Mines only a two

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Jan 29, 2016, 10:50 pm #10 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016, 10:50 pm by galacticprobe
I'll have to pay closer attention to things when we re-watch the Christmas Special. A 3-position switch? That's something different. So far everything has been push-button momentary (or in the Classic years - including the TVM - a momentary "pull down spring-loaded" activation mechanism). Knowing the TVM was a different animal, being telescopic, I think it had another way of activating it. Granted all those Classic era ones had no lights (2nd Doctor's excepted), but the momentary action was still the same as with the New Series versions. This 3-position switch is a departure from that, but then so is the odd design of this sonic.

I can't wait to see it in action (more action?) in Series 10. I also am curious to see how Character Options handles their replica, provided, of course, that they even make one.

Dino.

BioDoctor900

I think the switch works that you have the switch pushed up it activates one of two light and sound functions:

- static with one sound
- rotating with another sound

The switch in the middle means its off and then pushing it down activates the other two settings:

- static with another sound
- pulsing with another sound

If you check out the thread for the sonic I linked in Rubbertoes Instagram video of the new emitter with the lights and sounds

BioDoctor900

BioDoctor900

So today I received something in the post ;)

13118991_10209583955901563_4177172361725486913_n.jpg

This is a 3D printed version of the New Sonic. It cost me £20 to print and £5 for the core from CO. I had to file and trim some of the parts to make the bits fit together and some of them are still quite a tight fit.

Link to the 3D Model...https://www.youmagine.com/designs/twelfth-doctor-s-sonic-screwdriver

This is an exploded version of the 3D printed parts...

Capaldi Exploded 1.png

The latched parts I had printed in one piece as I couldn't be bothered trying to put them together. I spent quite a while trying to sand some of the bits down with wet and dry, but got rather bored with it and just sprayed them up. You don't really see the lines of 3D printing unless you look up close, but I wasn't going to spend half my life trying to sand and file the parts down.

While constructing the sonic I realized that I didn't print 3 of the parts, which is a bit of a pain up the backside, but I will either get them printed or make the bits that are missing....like a hybrid :P

Capaldi Exploded 1.png

The bits I've circled are the bits I missed from the print list. I found that the CO core doesn't fit very well into this version, so I've got to gut the electronics out of the case and put them into the sonic body itself, which isn't a bad thing as it allows me to wire it up to my two position switch. I've tested another core in my mates sonic who he had made by a friend of ours, some of you may know him, Richard from 'It's an Ashton'. He gave one to my mate tom, but his version is printed in 3 pieces rather than the separated pieces. I changed over the white LED in the CO core to a blue one, it makes it look a lot better. I plan to put 5 LED's, one for each rod in mine as that's what's in the original and is what will be in the toys.

So this is how it's looking so far....

13131275_10209586506285321_2297066743448565442_o.jpg

As you can see, it's not far off, but the emitter is too long, so that's going to be shortened, and the bits that are missing will soon hopefully be made or printed so I can finish it off. I made the little stand out of two light bulb fitting bases and the inside of a hose lock garden hose and the sonic slots in nicely. I made it to look like the port on the 11th/12th Doctor's console

More Soon

BioDoctor900

The14thDr

Looking good, BioDoc!! (Can you tell that this is my favourite sonic device? ;D) I've been working on some 3D print models for this sonic using the BBC America blueprints. Where did you get this printed?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

BioDoctor900

The link for the model is above 14th, I had them printed through 3D hubs online, but don't believe the plans 100% as they were refined slightly by Nick when he was making it, so they're not completely accurate, they're more of a reference of how he wanted the prop to look, as with a lot of Who props, the measurements aren't always what they use for the finished article

BioDoctor900