SERIES 9: episode 12 HELL BENT 'Brachacki' TARDIS INTERIOR REFS

Started by markofrani, Dec 06, 2015, 08:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

phillbarron

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 09, 2015, 06:36 am
That said, I love seeing the outside of that set and how the walls were backed with that white, translucent perspex. (As a technical guy I love seeing how things are put together. Some people say it destroys the illusion that's created on the screen; I see it as "Now, can I make something like that?")

I love seeing this sort of thing after I've seen the episode -it deepens my connection to the show. First time through I want to know as little as possible so I can enjoy it for what it looks like it is.

Mark

I purposely buy Doctor Who Magazine and then don't read it for just that reason. I also switch channels just before the "next time" segment. Unfortunately there are odd occasions when spoilers slip through.

It looks like the doors don't have their inner "skin" on yet in one if the pictures.

darren79

Director Tachel Talalay hated the set as she couldn't shoot it in the ways she wanted to.

She says in her DWM interview that it was a rush job to make, due to a schedule change, the art department only had something like a day and a half to build it.

They build the set next to the current set and she said so many fans were in awe of it.

cobalt

Maybe the lesson here is that they need to stop overthinking the console room design. Clean, simple and uncluttered is bold. Less is more.

This room is my current top favorite. It came out amazing. Makes me wish we were keeping it instead of going back to the old one.

Heh, judging by the way Capaldi is famboying it up at the controls in those photos, I bet he'd like that too.

markofrani

I admit I'm not a fan of the new series, however I do think you make a very good point.
Today's designers seem to me to have brought nothing new to the party.
As well as the new console rooms, you only have to look at the 'Ikea' Tardis police box, the flared trousered Cybermen, the Teletubby Daleks (even Steven Moffat now thinks they were a bad idea!), the awful opening titles sequence, the horrible tinny theme music etc etc etc etc. Everything is over worked, over designed, and over everything!

tony farrell

Haha. Say what you think Jonathan!  :)

I don't disagree with any of your specific examples but feel it's fair to point out some triumphs - Gallifrey and the Capitol were beautifully realised as were the High Councillors' and Sisterhoods' robes; if the rushed nature of the Brachacki-esque Tardis interior build is true, then the Production Team did an outstanding job!

I genuinely like this set because it is so evocative of the original.

Yes, it has its faults - the obvious use of repeated (two colums of roundels) narrow wall sections, the short double doors (and the curious spacing of the roundels in this section), the central column is too low when 'powered down' and there is no way for anyone to get in to the Computer Bank/Fault Locator section! But these 'faults' aside, it is recognisably an homage to the original and - for a 'one-off' set with roughly ten minutes screen time, I think the crew did a bloody good job.

I do wonder why they didn't just nip next door and borrow the Tardis walls from "An Adventure in Space and Time" from the Dr Who Experience - surely it would be cheaper to have painted these a very pale grey (and they clearly simply repainted the Console). Re-using the walls would also have got them round the problem of the overly short double-doors and odd-sized roundels as well.

T

galacticprobe

Quote from: markofrani on Dec 10, 2015, 08:37 pm
...the awful opening titles sequence...

There is really only one thing I like about this new opening title... "Basically it's the eyebrows". ;D The really sad thing about it is that in one of the 'Doctor Who Insiders' that BBC America shows in between advert breaks, where they give some behind-the-scenes info and interviews with cast and crew, Moffat admitted to creating the new opening sequence based on a "fan-made Doctor Who theme music video" that he'd seen on YouTube. So some fan created the design, and Moffat took it and tweaked it. (And there are far more decent fan-made "opening titles" on YouTube than this one. (Just keep the eyebrows!)

Quote from: markofrani on Dec 10, 2015, 08:37 pm
the horrible tinny theme music etc etc etc etc. Everything is over worked, over designed, and over everything!

Agreed! The Series 1-3 theme wasn't too bad. It sort of took the middle years (Pertwee to Tom Baker Season 17), with a hint of the original thrown in, and updated it. From Series 4 on it's been going down hill. And they definitely need to bring back that "stinger" at the end of each episode! I think Moffat did away with it in Series 6 (possibly 5; I'll have to check). I know it's somewhat there in the opening after the "Teaser", but it's a must at the end of each episode. It's been there since the start of the Pertwee era right through to sometime in New Series 5 or 6, and they need to bring it back!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rob49152

I love this interior as well. I have a 2009 mazda 3, my friend has a 2010 mazda 3. When I get into her car it's rather odd because it's 90% the same. but that 10% is really odd and puts me off my game. So I kind of feel this interior is like that.

cobalt

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 10, 2015, 11:11 pm
And they definitely need to bring back that "stinger" at the end of each episode!

I agree. Bring back the stinger, and put the "next time" trailer AFTER the credits so that the stinger swooshes right into the end theme.

torran

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 10, 2015, 11:11 pm
So some fan created the design, and Moffat took it and tweaked it.

The fan was actually quite heavily involved, and did most of the work, except that the BBC Wales VFX team made the actual final thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOBHnWiinY
http://billyhanshaw.co.uk/portfolio/doctor-who/

It was personally my favourite choice for an opening title at the time (pre Series 8 )

tony farrell

Returning this thread to its subject matter, some pictures of the "Hell Bent" Tardis interior  :)

d14-13f-c470.jpgd14-13f-c473.jpgd14-13f-c486.jpgd14-13f-c492.jpgd14-13f-c508.jpgd14-13f-c519.jpgd14-13f-c521.jpgd14-13f-c532.jpgd14-13f-c543.jpgd14-13f-c544.jpgd14-13f-c571.jpgd14-13f-c600.jpgd14-13f-c600.jpgd14-13f-c605.jpgd14-13f-c619.jpgd14-13f-c623.jpgd14-13f-c624.jpgd14-13f-c625.jpgd14-13f-c626.jpgd14-13f-c633.jpgd14-13f-c629.jpg

Td14-13f-c698.jpgd14-13f-c705.jpg

Mark

I know its been mentioned earlier but looking at the picture of Peter stood near the open main doors maks it appear as though he has to duck down to get through!

Also, are the slatted walls the same ones as in the Time Lord "capture room"?

tony farrell

I think that you're correct on both counts:

p03b0b4q.jpg
p03b0bfw.jpg
p03b0bht.jpg

I think the main Tardis doors in this version are no more than six feet tall. Which seems especially odd as the doors to the 'Living Quarters' appear to be six foot six (a standard height for a doorway)!

T

Vale

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 12, 2015, 05:21 pmI think the main Tardis doors in this version are no more than six feet tall. Which seems especially odd as the doors to the 'Living Quarters' appear to be six foot six (a standard height for a doorway)!

True, but the interior doors didn't have to conform to the roundel pattern. Maybe they should have made the exterior doors four roundels tall...