SERIES 9: episode 12 HELL BENT 'Brachacki' TARDIS INTERIOR REFS

Started by markofrani, Dec 06, 2015, 08:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

markofrani

Some pics of the latest version of the Brachacki Tardis set.
ClaraandDoctor1-1200x800.jpgp03b0bfw.jpgp03b0bht.jpgp03b0brp.jpgp03b0bw9.jpgd7.pngDW9E12-11-1200x801.jpghell-bent-clara-classic-tardis.jpg

galacticprobe

I would love to get a close look at the Fast Return Switch on this console just to see how close to the original they came with that reproduction. From these long shots, it looks pretty good. Up close details would be great. (Someone will no doubt point me at some that already exist, but that's okay; I do "dunce" once in a while.)

The fact that this console from AAiSaT isn't 100 percent accurate to the original really lends well to this not being the Doctor's TARDIS, but another one that he stole. So this makes two TARDISes that he stole. (And I can't even steal one! ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timewomble

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 06, 2015, 09:35 pm
I would love to get a close look at the Fast Return Switch on this console just to see how close to the original they came with that reproduction. From these long shots, it looks pretty good. Up close details would be great.

I'm afraid that although I did take some shots of this console at The Experience, I wasn't doing close-ups on each of the controls, so this is the best I have of the Fast Return Switch.  :(

Fast Return.png

galacticprobe

Nice photo, Peter! Thanks for posting it. I wasn't thinking of close-ups of all or most of the controls, but that Fast Return Switch has had some serious discussion because it's one of the more intricate controls on this console, albeit added after the fact, not appearing until Episode 2 of "Edge of Destruction" (and I believe that episode was individually titled "Brink of Disaster" - someone correct me if I'm wrong; it's been a while since I've seen that story).

And from what I can see in your photo, they did a pretty accurate job re-creating the Switch - not 100 percent - but I'd say 95 percent. After all, they probably couldn't find some of the bits that were used on the original because of design changes in the components used: like those sockets at the top and that release mechanism at the bottom. And there is some detailing they missed from the main housing, but on the whole I'd say they nailed it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

I love that Peter seems to be the only actor when the set was constructed, probably fanboying it up with the console :D
Regards
David

galacticprobe

See? What did I say?
Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 06, 2015, 09:35 pm
Up close details would be great. (Someone will no doubt point me at some that already exist, but that's okay; I do "dunce" once in a while.)

Thanks for "un-duncing" me, Mark! ;) ;D Yeah; after looking at that image I'd say they got that switch about 98 percent: those sockets at the top are about spot on, and it's just the small details on the housing I mentioned, and which Tony showed in amazing detail here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5884.msg76668#msg76668.

(Again, this is just another hint that it might be a later/more advanced model TARDIS than the Doctor's.)

Dino.

cobalt

In the closeup shot of The Doctor setting his sunglasses on the console, you can see one of the big electrical meters, and the face on it is completely different from the original hartnell design. I believe it should be the water vapour meter, but says like, electrical Power or something.

So, I'm guessing the meters on the AITS console are all different? Are there any good shots of these new meter faces?

bearded4th

That look in Capaldi's eyes in pic 2... He's living the ultimate fanboy's dream  :'(  :)

Also, the perspective in pic 4 makes that guy look huge :P

Rassilons Rod

Seems to be some bits missing from it at this stage. Plus the big faders just look wrong (never noticed that before).
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

I think the doors are too small - Peter may be tall but he isn't that tall.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

cobalt

It looks like they built their copies of the Hartnell walls, with 80's size roundels. So the doors are sized down to compensate.

darren79

It was lovely to see an aproximation of elements of the Hartnell console room.

You can tell they made the walls in two columns of roundel sections, that's why the spatial distance isn't right.

Yeah, the doors should be bigger (and deeper).

This was a one episode temporary set - if they'd made a permanent standing set they would have spent more on the walls - it makes you appreciate what an impressive construction those original walls were!

galacticprobe

Quote from: handofomega on Dec 08, 2015, 01:05 pm
Here are some videos that show some look around the interior and one on the outside

Cor! I hate that "fish eye" lens look! Everything is so distorted that you can't tell which surfaces are supposed to have curves and which ones are supposed to be straight because that "fish eye" gives everything a bend to it. (And my vertigo gives me that feeling a lot all on its own - no extra outside help, please? ;) ;D)

That said, I love seeing the outside of that set and how the walls were backed with that white, translucent perspex. (As a technical guy I love seeing how things are put together. Some people say it destroys the illusion that's created on the screen; I see it as "Now, can I make something like that?")

Many thanks to Don (handofomega) for posting those links!

Dino.