Apr 16, 2024, 08:39 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Police Box Plans

Started by theukarchivist, Aug 16, 2007, 02:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Aug 24, 2007, 12:47 am #30 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:54 pm by scarfwearer
Interesting plans, thank you for sharing tUKa.

The blue 40watt is of the "Pygmy" type.

The idea behind it was two fold.

1-When the station called the box, if the police constable was inside it he wouldn't have seen the roof lamp flashing, so the small bulb would make it easier to realise he/she was being called.

2-The bulb also acted in relation to the "Test Switch" mentioned on the plans. This meant that the signal lamp could be tested to make sure that the bulb hadn't blown.

To be completely honest though, the repeater lamp wouldn't really have been needed in the end because when the relay kicks in when a call is coming through, it makes quite a loud clicking sound, more than adequate to have alerted the police constable.

Don't know as to whether the blue 40 watt would be powerfull enough make a difference against the internal 100 watt bulb. Don't forget that the 100 watt bulb not only lit the interior but also the Police Box signs and telephone panel. I'm guessing it would be normal to leave it on all night.

kiwidoc

Aug 24, 2007, 02:14 am #31 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:54 pm by scarfwearer
Two things - a) It wasn't always nighttime so lights may not have been the ultimate answer and b)Wouldn't the phone just ring?

:)

Quote from: mark board=manual thread=1187231444 post=1187916467Interesting plans, thank you for sharing tUKa.

The blue 40watt is of the "Pygmy" type.

The idea behind it was two fold.

1-When the station called the box, if the police constable was inside it he wouldn't have seen the roof lamp flashing, so the small bulb would make it easier to realise he/she was being called.

2-The bulb also acted in relation to the "Test Switch" mentioned on the plans. This meant that the signal lamp could be tested to make sure that the bulb hadn't blown.

To be completely honest though, the repeater lamp wouldn't really have been needed in the end because when the relay kicks in when a call is coming through, it makes quite a loud clicking sound, more than adequate to have alerted the police constable.

Don't know as to whether the blue 40 watt would be powerfull enough make a difference against the internal 100 watt bulb. Don't forget that the 100 watt bulb not only lit the interior but also the Police Box signs and telephone panel. I'm guessing it would be normal to leave it on all night.

fivefingeredstyre

Aug 24, 2007, 08:19 am #32 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:54 pm by scarfwearer
Fantastic...

Many thanks for those.

Steve

Sorvan

Aug 24, 2007, 04:44 pm #33 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:54 pm by scarfwearer
Wow!  This is great!

I'd also like to see the police post plans.

Thanks,
Colin

chriskingbees

Aug 24, 2007, 07:14 pm #34 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:54 pm by scarfwearer
Police post plans,
"Please please please please please" Quoth Homer Simpson
And myself
KB

Rassilons Rod

Aug 25, 2007, 07:31 am #35 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:55 pm by scarfwearer
RE: Police Post

Anyone who lives in or near London just has to pop down to Piccadilly Circus with a camera and a measuring device.

It was looking a bit battered last time I saw it :(

But its right there on the corner of Piccadilly and Picc Circus and Lower Regent Street (the left corner if you're travelling up Picadilly).

-Marc

istockphoto_2850257_police_public_c.jpg
161048003_87477b2677_m.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

theukarchivist

Aug 25, 2007, 11:05 pm #36 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:55 pm by scarfwearer
Will dig out the plans.  Could take a while to post them as the original plans are A0 and I've only an A4 scanner, so I'll need the time to piece together the scans in photoshop.  Best wishes to anyone who builds one - I've been meaning to find the time and the space (no Tardis reference indended) to build one for ten years!

DoctorWho8

Aug 26, 2007, 04:10 am #37 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:55 pm by scarfwearer
If you have Photoshop CS3, there is a new version of Photomerge that does an excellent job of knitting together pics taken or scanned of large objects.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Aug 26, 2007, 08:01 am #38 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:55 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: theukarchivist board=manual thread=1187231444 post=1188083150Will dig out the plans.  Could take a while to post them as the original plans are A0 and I've only an A4 scanner, so I'll need the time to piece together the scans in photoshop.  Best wishes to anyone who builds one - I've been meaning to find the time and the space (no Tardis reference indended) to build one for ten years!

Ah! I didn't spot that you had the actual plans for a Police post! :) In that case, ignore my message about Piccadilly Circus...

Ah you did... *shame mode overload* I... I... I...

:-[
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Mark

Aug 26, 2007, 06:33 pm #39 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:56 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Kiwi,

The original phone that was installed in the boxes were the "Pyramid" 200 series phones. These phones didn't have any sort  of bell or ringer so a seperate one would have to be used seperately if needed.

Some boxes had this seperate ringer, which was normally a simple single gong type affair (you can see it in the inside wall opposite the doors on the Crich box). It all depended where the box was sited as to whether the bell was in use or not.

How annoyed would you be if the box outside your house kept ringing!

I'm guessing that may be one of the reasons a blue bulb might have been used inside. It would have been easier to notice the bulb flashing during daylight as opposed to a normal type of bulb.

kiwidoc

Aug 26, 2007, 07:27 pm #40 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:56 pm by scarfwearer
Fascinating..   :)
Quote from: mark board=manual thread=1187231444 post=1188153209Hi Kiwi,

The original phone that was installed in the boxes were the "Pyramid" 200 series phones. These phones didn't have any sort  of bell or ringer so a seperate one would have to be used seperately if needed.

Some boxes had this seperate ringer, which was normally a simple single gong type affair (you can see it in the inside wall opposite the doors on the Crich box). It all depended where the box was sited as to whether the bell was in use or not.

How annoyed would you be if the box outside your house kept ringing!

I'm guessing that may be one of the reasons a blue bulb might have been used inside. It would have been easier to notice the bulb flashing during daylight as opposed to a normal type of bulb.

stumpers

Sep 01, 2007, 12:43 pm #41 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:56 pm by scarfwearer
WTF?!?!

These are amazing!!!

Check list: Nails/Screws []
                 Hammer/Screwdriver (Sonic or not) []
                 Plenty of wood []

Okay i have none of those...I'll just have to make it out of some other material then...maybe cardboard...

bridesmill

Sep 14, 2007, 10:07 pm #42 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:56 pm by scarfwearer
Brilliant! Add another 50 or so karma points to your account on my behalf as well......
Ron

dalethetimelord

Sep 14, 2007, 10:11 pm #43 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:57 pm by scarfwearer
if you want to give the nice chap a karma boost, click on the exalt button on his profile side bar by his post.  Large jumps in karma come via the admin...

Mark

Sep 14, 2007, 11:52 pm #44 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 02:57 pm by scarfwearer
Good thinking!

Why didn't I think of that?!

Exhalt coming your way UK.