News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Crich box dimensions.

Started by anita, Jan 22, 2009, 03:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

anita

Jan 22, 2009, 03:59 pm Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:13 pm by Scarfwearer
Hello all,

I've managed to gather together measurements using the Trench plans and some plans that Mark posted here some time ago but I'm still unsure of certain dimensions.
I don't know the width of the steps at the top of the box - they measure 3,3 and 5 inches high. I'd also like to know how wide the police box sign is across to the pillars...
Would the Britannia miniatures police box be accurate enough to scale up?  
I'm completely obsessed with building a 1/4 scale model but I won't do it unless it's perfect
Can anyone help me - please!?

Thanks folks -

Anita

Mark

Nov 25, 2009, 09:42 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 11:37 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Anita,

Hope I'm in time to help!

There are slight variations between the Trench plans and the Crich box.

Measuring the Crich box is a pain, and a step ladder is recommended. I was amused by the funny looks I got from other visitors.

Just to add to your sign box problems, I measured 46.5 inches (double checked on two of them though).
I've PM'd you my email by the way.

dalethetimelord

Jan 22, 2009, 04:17 pm #2 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:10 pm by scarfwearer
take the width of the sign box from the total width of the box including pillars, but not including the base, and divide the remaining measurement by 2, and you have the indent into each pillar before the call box sign starts...

With the roof tiers, take the smaller roof tier from the larger roof tier, and divide by two for the gap either front to back or left to right - it's a square so it matters not which; it'll give you the instep for centreing each tier of the roof.

anita

Jan 22, 2009, 04:33 pm #3 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:10 pm by scarfwearer
Dale,

Thanks for the advice but could you reiterate for me as I'm a little confused!
Can anyone PM their Crich dims to me? :'(
It would save me the Journey to the Tramway museum when it re-opens...

Anita

dalethetimelord

anita

Jan 23, 2009, 08:19 am #5 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:10 pm by scarfwearer
Unfortunately I don't have the measurements for the plinth sign.
Thanks anyway.

dalethetimelord

Jan 23, 2009, 08:36 am #6 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:11 pm by scarfwearer
It's a set measurement, and it's on the Trench Police Box plans available on the forum.  Download and you're away!

anita

Jan 23, 2009, 10:52 am #7 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:11 pm by scarfwearer
Again, unfortunately the Trench plans I currently have don't have the sign plinth measurements.
Most of the download links on the forum are dead now except for lorisarvendu's which he acknowledges have seen better days.
Why are people so cagey about giving out measurements?
Don't get me wrong - I'm not being funny about it but I'm very curious about the level of secrecy around certain measurements whether they be from the season 18 box or the met.

I'm just building a 1/4 scale box and I'm obsessed with accuracy - what's the problem?

dalethetimelord

Jan 23, 2009, 12:17 pm #8 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:11 pm by scarfwearer
Probably because the whole kit and caboodle are now copyright BBC, and we don't want our backsides sued and the site shut down.

However, with a quick scan through page two of a thread you've already posted on, I found an active download of the plans, that are clean, crisp and give all the measurements in glorious detail, including the plinth sign and every other measurement!
All you need to do is click the site link and wait 20 seconds for the download link to appear...

anita

Jan 26, 2009, 10:40 am #9 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:11 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks Dale!
Seems like it was a firewall issue in work because they download perfectly at  home!

The Trench plans are a little annoying all the same - they're still missing vital measurements.
I think I'll make the model using  lorisarvendu's method.
I'll blow up the plans to 1/4th scale using a measurement I know for sure and use some dims quoted by Mark for the doors.  I'll use Autocad and a CNC machine to cut from Styrene sheet which I will mould.
Then the whole box will then be made in fastcast resin - pictures to follow...

anita

Feb 02, 2009, 04:49 pm #10 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:11 pm by scarfwearer
I've using the trench plans enlarged to 5th scale (quarter scale is too big) I'd always assumed the Trench plans were drawn to scale but some measurements are off completely.
For example,  the sign boxes come up as 47 inches instead of 46  - what shall I go for and what measurements should I believe?

Anita

anita

Feb 03, 2009, 10:04 pm #11 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:12 pm by scarfwearer
Nobody?

Rassilons Rod

Feb 04, 2009, 08:47 am #12 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:12 pm by scarfwearer
Coupla suggestions:

Do you have any other plans with which to compare? (I could throw you my brachacki ones when i get home in a coupla days).

Also if the plans are drawn in good scale you could use the measuring tool in photoshop :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

anita

Feb 05, 2009, 06:30 pm #13 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 09:14 pm by Scarfwearer
Thanks Marc,

I've got the Brackacki plans already (never to sure about the size of the posts in the plans) in the mean while I'm recreating the Trench plans;

Click the thumbnail to enlarge.

th_PoliceBoxcopy.gifth_PoliceBox2.gif

I'll post one set without measurements for people here to fill in and another with the measurements I've gathered so far.
Perhaps anyone who is in the know could correct any errors I've made.

I do intend on going to the Tramway museum and getting a set of definitive measurements too!