Hartnell plans available and ready for revision

Started by lespaceplie, Jun 17, 2006, 08:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deck5

Sep 19, 2009, 07:14 pm #45 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 09:33 pm by scarfwearer

anita

Sep 20, 2009, 09:34 am #46 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 09:34 pm by scarfwearer
I've just noticed the roof was made an inch too high in my Sketchup so here's an updated version;
http://rapidshare.com/files/282531450/LESPACEPLIE_NEW.skp

capture2mr.jpg

Sorry!

zbigniev hamson

Sep 20, 2009, 07:20 pm #47 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 09:34 pm by scarfwearer
Shouldn't the base be bevelled for the original Hartnell prop?

anita

Sep 20, 2009, 08:20 pm #48 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 09:34 pm by scarfwearer
As far as the Sketchups go I'm just going on Gene's plans - it's easily fixed though...

Capture-2.jpg

lespaceplie

Sep 20, 2009, 10:28 pm #49 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 09:34 pm by scarfwearer
I think it probably is for at least the first series. I haven't found a definitive photograph from that early. It's definitely beveled in the photo from The Web Planet and definitely not at some point after the top chop (though possibly not immediately after the top chop).

markofrani

Sep 21, 2009, 09:36 am #50 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 09:35 pm by scarfwearer
The original bevelled base survived until the first Pertwee story, Spearhead From Space where it was last seen in the outside location scenes. When the prop was moved to the the UNIT lab, a new temporary black non-bevelled base had been made.

anita

Sep 21, 2009, 12:01 pm #51 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 09:35 pm by scarfwearer
I've changed the Sketchup to take in to account these details...

http://rapidshare.com/files/283004843/LESPACEPLIE_bb.skp

ionsith

Anyone who has made or modeled this box, how tall is the original fresnel lamp? I'm guessing between 5 and 6"? I have searched the board but can't see that this has come up...
Thanks in advance :D

galacticprobe

Nov 22, 2014, 05:06 am #53 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2014, 05:34 am by galacticprobe
I think that was the consensus in the Build Diaries - average about 5.5 inches (wide and tall) for just the lens. (I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) I don't think there have been any definitive plans for the Original Brachacki available, and routing through all of the comments and other things in the Build Diaries can be very daunting. Of course if that size doesn't "feel" right to you for your build, you could always go for the plain, frosted cylinder "lens" that was used from Season 2 onward. (See the great reference image for the Old Girl as she appeared in "The Chase": http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=212.30. She's got the square lamp cap with a higher, narrower, more hemispherical dome on top, but still not a bad look.)

Later, near the end of the Hartnell era, though they kept the frosted cylinder for the lens, they went back to the round lamp cap with the lower, wider dome on top (seen in the image here for "The Ark" http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2654.0). Also in that link you'll get a better look at the square cap and its dome. (But pay no attention to those funky side windows in the image labeled "The Massacre"; that was a knock-together-in-a-hurry bit for a publicity photo shoot, and because the prop needed to be in two places at the same time!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

markofrani

Quote from: ionsith on Nov 21, 2014, 11:21 pm
Anyone who has made or modeled this box, how tall is the original fresnel lamp? I'm guessing between 5 and 6"? I have searched the board but can't see that this has come up...
Thanks in advance :D

I recently built a 1:3 scale Hartnell model, and I initially went for a 6"  fresnel lamp diameter. This seemed too small so I went for something around the 7" size...

IMGP0631B_mono.jpg

ionsith

That's a beautiful model! I am blown away by that. Thank you both for your feedback.. I wasn't far off but I will muck about with the dimensions and see what looks best.

galacticprobe

Nov 23, 2014, 07:33 am #56 Last Edit: Nov 23, 2014, 07:38 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: markofrani on Nov 23, 2014, 12:35 am
I recently built a 1:3 scale Hartnell model, and I initially went for a 6"  fresnel lamp diameter. This seemed too small so I went for something around the 7" size...

It just might be those stanky old wizzard(sic) eyes of mine, but for the Fresnel lens lamp, that looks a little on the large side, especially when you look at the images in this post http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2654.0 (specifically the images for "An Unearthly Child" and "The Keys of Marinus"). Now for the frosted cylinder "lens" lamp, as shown in the rest of the images, that size looks about right.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Grimusaur

roof trouble2.png

Wanted to build the original Brachacki for the third time just to make sure I had everything right since I'd learned some things about the doors and windows from Tony's Brachacki-Altered article, but I'm running into some trouble with the roof. Tony's Brachacki-Altered article states that the original roof was most likely 44.25" wide, but I can't reconcile this with Gene's plans. The step below the roof can't possibly extend 1" outwards without engulfing the post caps!

roof trouble.png

And if I follow Gene's advice on how far in the roof steps are relative to the posts and the post caps, I get something I'm happy with, but the roof is 42.5" wide, which I can't reconcile with Tony's research! My second build is to the right, with a 44.25" wide roof as per Tony's dims. Everything else matches up between Gene's plans, Tony's plans, and my model, so I'm not sure what's going wrong. :-\

tony farrell

Sorry Will - you've confused me here. You state that a 44.25" roof overhangs the post caps but then state you've used a 44.25" roof in the right-hand diagram which shows the roof fitting correctly!

Could you clarify?

Cheers

T

BTW, on a separate subject. I realised this evening I sent you the wrong diagram last night. Perhaps you'd message me?

Grimusaur

Jan 18, 2017, 07:25 pm #59 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2017, 07:45 pm by grimusaur
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Jan 18, 2017, 07:00 pm
Sorry Will - you've confused me here. You state that a 44.25" roof overhangs the post caps but then state you've used a 44.25" roof in the right-hand diagram which shows the roof fitting correctly!

Could you clarify?

Cheers

T

BTW, on a separate subject. I realised this evening I sent you the wrong diagram last night. Perhaps you'd message me?

Apologies, the roof itself wouldn't overhang the caps, but the edge of the step below the roof would be right in the middle of the corner round of the cap, as I tried to illustrate in the first picture with the dotted line. That's why the step looks so thin with the 44.25" roof in the second picture, as I made it protrude by only .625" instead of the full inch as Gene specifies.

Shot you a message on twitter!