Mar 29, 2024, 02:20 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Primrodo's Capaldi/Smith 2013 Console Build

Started by ThisJustinOnline, Nov 11, 2015, 05:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greggnowling

This looks great....and I thought mine was going to be heavy!

Keep it up.

Gregg

handofomega

The hexagonal tube in the center of the base...   Is it going to be painted silver to reflect light within the base???    If so have you ever considered aluminum tape?   http://www.supplyhouse.com/Venture-Tape-3520CW-2-Foil-Insulation-Tape-2-x-150?gclid=CjwKEAiAluG1BRDrvsqCtYWk81gSJACZ2BCeRogTKGZwsHlbs53g4Ukt3ODHrVEkw08YjdaLQttBuRoC3Wnw_wcB

ThisJustinOnline

Quote from: greggnowling on Feb 08, 2016, 04:39 pm
This looks great....and I thought mine was going to be heavy!

Keep it up.

Gregg

Thanks Greg!  Should be a beast I am sure when its done! Yours is looking great as well!

Quote from: handofomega on Feb 08, 2016, 09:11 pm
The hexagonal tube in the center of the base...   Is it going to be painted silver to reflect light within the base???    If so have you ever considered aluminum tape?   http://www.supplyhouse.com/Venture-Tape-3520CW-2-Foil-Insulation-Tape-2-x-150?gclid=CjwKEAiAluG1BRDrvsqCtYWk81gSJACZ2BCeRogTKGZwsHlbs53g4Ukt3ODHrVEkw08YjdaLQttBuRoC3Wnw_wcB

Do you mean the internal bit where the ribs slot into? You won't really see it, I was going to price it for sure, but I think its just there for creating a central core. Unless you mean a different part?

handofomega

Quote from: Primrodo on Feb 09, 2016, 01:44 am

Do you mean the internal bit where the ribs slot into? You won't really see it, I was going to price it for sure, but I think its just there for creating a central core. Unless you mean a different part?

I figure it is a structural component.  I was thinking that you might could use the aluminum tape to cover the central core so that it reflects the light of the illuminated tubes back out strongly.

galacticprobe

Feb 09, 2016, 05:18 am #79 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2016, 05:29 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Primrodo on Feb 09, 2016, 01:44 am

Justin, I think Don was referring to these surfaces (red arrows):
SupportCore.jpg
Lining them with aluminum tape would reflect the light from the plinth tubes outward. Painting them silver might have the same effect, maybe even with more of a diffuse reflection rather than a mirrored one. It's hard to see exactly how they've got the inner bits of the plinth on the actual prop, but there is a photo somewhere in the Reference Section (which I can't find, so I've got a cropped version here) that shows the console under construction...
UnderConstruction01.jpg
...and I think you've pretty much got that inner core nailed as far as shape goes. It also looks like they've got that part painted silver. (In all honesty the entire console looks silver at this stage.) So the diffuse reflection of silver paint might better match the look and paint scheme of the original (and might cost less than the aluminum tape).

Just a guess.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThisJustinOnline

Oh right, apologies!

I actually planned on doing the tubes like mini lightsabers anyway.

Good thoughts though!

galacticprobe

Feb 10, 2016, 05:54 am #81 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016, 05:54 am by galacticprobe
Justin, sorry, but in my last post I forgot to mention that was another great video! (And while I'm not a fan of this console, I do like the new plinth. I'm starting to wish I had one like yours - scaled down like yours. I might try to incorporate this "lighted tube" plinth into my 'Identity Crisis' console instead of the reject hexagon end-table that I found to work with.)

Even more, I wish I had access to the equipment and a friend like you've got to help with the build!

Another dose of Envy(tiny).jpg to throw in there!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

handofomega

Justin have you thought about the time column changing colors?   Being able to switch between the Smith turquoise and the Capaldi orange???   Reason I asked is that when the series came back on the air the opening credits shifted between a blue effect and a red effect.   This was to denote the direction the TARDIS was traveling in time, blue for the past and red for the future.
With the current console time column having been 2 different colors (Smith and Capaldi) the color changes remind me a bit of that effect.   You could gear the lighted tubes on your column to change from turquoise (for traveling to the past) to orange (for traveling into the future).   Just a thought as I am not sure what your plans are.   At the very least you could have the switchable so you can change from the Smith console to the Capaldi console...    ;D

davidnagel

Quote from: handofomega on Feb 11, 2016, 08:51 pm
Reason I asked is that when the series came back on the air the opening credits shifted between a blue effect and a red effect.   This was to denote the direction the TARDIS was traveling in time, blue for the past and red for the future.

Thats actually a pretty neat idea, I like that. I may steal that...
Regards
David

ThisJustinOnline

Actually that was a big plan of mine. I want to be able to add it into the actual controls but have it go to whatever colour fancied. And that way when I go to an event I can have it switch for whatever in the picture.

For the most part the controls may actually do things, sounds, change lights etc. But the Colour changing LED strips is what I was going to use for that exact purpose :)

greggnowling

Looks great.  I love how you've captured the look of this piece.

Gregg

galacticprobe

Feb 16, 2016, 06:16 am #87 Last Edit: Feb 16, 2016, 06:33 am by galacticprobe
Yet another great video, Justin! You sure are (as we said in the military) "turnin' and burnin'" on this! I have to agree with Gregg; you've really captured the look of this old girl. (And I'm really curious to see what you do with that nonagon.)

Dino.

BioDoctor900

Looking good Justin, Looking forward to seeing more progress. Although it's making me want to get on with mine...I'm making baby steps with it lol. I'm guessing the Nonagon is for the placement of the vents on the floor ;)

BioDoctor900

ThisJustinOnline

Another Monday, another video!

Working on the ribs and the inner core to the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrDhduT4UI