Jul 19, 2024, 12:46 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Primrodo's Capaldi/Smith 2013 Console Build

Started by ThisJustinOnline, Nov 11, 2015, 05:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisJustinOnline

And another video! Thanks for watching me ramble!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDqyT6rQKwQ

Parts in this video:

ORMOND BAKELITE SLOW MOTION TUNING UNITS

Potentiometer With 10 Turn Counting Dial Rotary Knob

Radio Knobs

Serrated discs

Sandblasted Marbles

Crank Knobs

Flat switches

galacticprobe

Dec 17, 2015, 05:09 am #46 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2015, 05:38 am by galacticprobe
Great video again, Justin! And this time I might be a little more help than last.

You're absolutely right about that "oval" screen having an LCD/LED wide-screen monitor under it, and you can definitely see the edges of the monitor in several of the images in our Reference Section. (They do a great job of hiding the monitor frame, but bits of it do sneak through on the sides and top where the oval is at its widest.

The two blue "roly balls" on the panel:
RolyBall01.jpg
(Roly Ball in place...

RolyBall02.jpg
...and removed) are Rubbertoe creations - or at least he's got replicas of them, but only in goldish, silver, and copper:
RolyBall(Rubbertoe).jpg
(from the Rubbertoe product selection page on the web site). They're not the most expensive items on his list, but they're also not on the low end either. I didn't see an option for any blue ones, but I think with some careful application of transparent blue paint (and they do sell it in hobby/craft stores) to the silver ones should give you the results you're after.

Those corrugated "discs" under some of the knobs do indeed look like they came from a pastry cutter. I'm not sure what they actually are, but knowing how the props department works their cannibalistic magic on things to make a console (and other props), it wouldn't surprise me if that is what they are. (I think I've seen really cheap plastic ones in some stores' kitchen sections.)

Those larger knobs, however:
VRMknob.jpg
(seen here with that "pastry cutter" thingy under it) was on all of the old AN/SPS-64(V) Radar indicators that I used to work on. They were for controlling the Variable Range Marker (VRM) - which was a small bright dot that you could run out from the center of the screen, place it on your Target of Interest, and get its exact range from you. Each Indicator had two of them, one for the VRM, and one to adjust the bearing ring crosshairs (I forget the exact name for that part), but it was the same knob.

Other equipment used those knobs as well, but they were most common on the "64-Radar" Indicator because you really had to crank on those things to get the crosshairs to rotate, and to get the VRM out to the target quickly. I've been poking around to see if there were any sign of them on the internet, but haven't had any luck finding a source for those yet. If you've got any military surplus stores nearby, I would check them out - maybe even bring a photo of that knob with you - to see if they've got any; electronics surplus stores might also have them. (I tried to find a part number for the knob, but my old manual is more than a bit tattered in the parts list section, and that part number would only apply to a radar that was taken out of service in 1997.)

Still, I hope this gives you something to go on. You know where to find the roly ball, and what (at least in the US military) that knob was mostly used on. I hope you can find some. (Once again, if only I knew this was coming, I would have snagged as many of those knobs as I could when they were tearing the old radars out. Since I was one of the main radar project guys at the time, I could have grabbed enough knobs for several people to build this console!)

And that yellow indicator light at the top of the panel (sorry I didn't grab an image of that one) looks like one of the larger indicator lights (medium-sized?) like the ones found around the "throttle" lever on the left side of the panel with the Demat Lever on it. It looks like it's got that same knurling around the lens base where it screws into/onto the indicator socket, and that slightly pointed dome lens. Again a trip to an electronics supply store might yield some good results there as these are still in use.

Anyway, I hope this ramble is helpful. (Sorry I couldn't ID any other bits.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThisJustinOnline

Hey Dino!

The balls I have those close ups, very helpful. The Paperweights he has are 80mm, which are not in scale at all. I will be using a glass or plastic marble to do it like this properly, plus I want it accurate to the lines etc too!

The Corrugated discs I am not sure are cutters, only because of the size.  These would be 3"-3.5" and that is LARGE for cutters. Most are 2-2.5, even 1". Plus you can see on some close ups that there is an inner ring to them as well, not sure if its part of it or yet another part to add on top.

SecondRing.jpg

As for the crank knobs, pretty cool use. I only know them form Ghostbusters, but easily obtainable online, yay!

The yellow light is the same small pilot light used all over, there are something like 22 yellow lights on the console. The square under it though, not sure what that is.

TopLight.jpg

davidnagel

I'll come back here when the videos show the start of the build! Good luck with the pre-work :)
Regards
David

Mark

The square thing looks like it could belong to an engine or gear box type thing. Maybe from a lawn mower or mini moto perhaps?

ThisJustinOnline

Quote from: davidnagel on Dec 17, 2015, 10:43 pm
I'll come back here when the videos show the start of the build! Good luck with the pre-work :)

Will start sooner than you think ;)

Quote from: Mark on Dec 18, 2015, 12:14 am
The square thing looks like it could belong to an engine or gear box type thing. Maybe from a lawn mower or mini moto perhaps?

No sure but probably in the right direction!

ThisJustinOnline

BioDoctor900

Dec 29, 2015, 10:49 pm #52 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2015, 10:56 pm by BioDoctor900
Hey Primrodo

This may be of use, http://www.bobsbits.tv/bits?q=&price_type=price_to_buy&price=&cursor=CiQSHmoLc35ib2JzLWJpdHNyDwsSA0JpdCIGa2IwMDM2DBgAIAA=

It's the link to Bob's Bits page, the guy that sells the parts to the BBC, it may be helpful for reference of naming things

http://www.bobsbits.tv/bits/kb0060

http://www.bobsbits.tv/bits/kb0064

http://www.bobsbits.tv/bits/kb0067

http://www.bobsbits.tv/bits/pa0011

I know his warehouse is here in the UK, but he may be able to work out some reasonable postage to the US

Hope this helps :)

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Dec 30, 2015, 07:05 am #53 Last Edit: Dec 30, 2015, 07:05 am by galacticprobe
Oh my Glob! :o I knew Bob's Bits provided some parts for TARDIS consoles (and other 'Who'-related props), but I had no idea he has a part for just about every console that ever existed! (Or so it looks when scouring all of the things he's got!)

Great links, BioDoc!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThisJustinOnline

I've seen Bobs site and have contacted him, he did not reply to me but I tried again. I have a feeling if I could walk in and gather everything I need I would be set!

galacticprobe

Jan 01, 2016, 06:17 am #55 Last Edit: Jan 01, 2016, 06:17 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Primrodo on Dec 31, 2015, 10:29 pm
I've seen Bobs site and have contacted him, he did not reply to me but I tried again.

Don't get discouraged, Justin. Depending on when you contacted him, he might have been out for the holidays. Give it a little more time (like until sometime next week, depending on how the UK New Year holiday runs). He might even need a little time to play catch-me-up once he gets back in. I'm sure he'll get back to you. After all, if he never got back to those that contacted him, he'd never have any business.

Quote from: Primrodo on Dec 31, 2015, 10:29 pm
I have a feeling if I could walk in and gather everything I need I would be set!

After looking through all of what he's got, I don't doubt that one bit!

Dino.

ThisJustinOnline

I emailed earlier in the year (Septemberish?) as well as recently.

Wonder if any UK friends want to go in with a list....

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2016, 06:06 am #58 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016, 06:07 am by galacticprobe
Great progress with all that cutting in one day, Justin! (The movement in the video as you walked around caused a little motion sickness, though. :P Blame it on my vertigo.) Motion sickness aside, it was a great video. And I know it would take some time, but it would be nice to see some of the wood cutting taking place, especially when cutting the angles of the mating edges of some of the pieces.

Even scaled back a little, she looks like she's going to be a good size. (I'm not a fan of this console, but I love seeing people building replicas of it and how great they turn out... and I think you're the first one to have a go at this old girl, so you're setting the bar for all that follow. No pressure, though. ;D)

Dino.

ThisJustinOnline

Sorry Dino!

My plan is to tripod further videos to show stuff happening as well. then fast forward some of it.

Glad to set a bar! now to find some parts!