Mar 01, 2024, 07:34 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Primrodo's Capaldi/Smith 2013 Console Build

Started by ThisJustinOnline, Nov 11, 2015, 05:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisJustinOnline

Lights.jpg

What I was meaning is that most of the lights have this thicker collar, like the Jewel ones (But with a diamond knurl as opposed to the fluted knurl). The Jeweled lights would be an "Ok" substitute but the entire collar is 1/2", the same size as the lenses.

It seems only the red and blue lights have just the standard flange

galacticprobe

Nov 21, 2015, 07:18 am #31 Last Edit: Nov 21, 2015, 07:19 am by galacticprobe
I see what you mean. (What I think is that the prop designers are watching us, and thinking of ways to confound us just to see how determined we are to build as close of an exacting replica as we can get. Think about it: every time we figure out the console - how to build it and what was used for the controls on it - they throw a more complex one at us with harder to find bits for the controls. I think they want to see just how resourceful we are. Hopefully they're sitting back, smiling and nodding with approval.)

But that's just me... not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything, but... ;) ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThisJustinOnline

HAHA, or more likely they just snatch and grab whatever and WE have to backtrack. For them its a pile of stuff that looks cool.

ThisJustinOnline

Totally forgot to post this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9DKTyLSlW0

I have Identified a few parts since posting this though so the next video may include that!

galacticprobe

Nov 29, 2015, 09:27 am #34 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015, 09:28 am by galacticprobe
Great video, Justin! And I don't know if this will help at all, but here's a topic on that Key in the console: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4650.0. If you do some eBay searching for "Smiths Clock Key" you'll probably find a few listings. I lucked out when I got a lot of old keys, mostly for The Evil One and some of her Steam Punk stuff. This Smiths key came in the lot, and that was one key that she wasn't getting her hands on! Have a look if you haven't seen it already, and I hope he helps a little. I wish I could help with the thing it fits into, but I've never seen one of those before, unless it's from an old door lock and there's just a post (or a large rotary switch with a modified post to fit the key) under it so the key has something to hang on to.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThisJustinOnline

Thanks Dino!

It is definitely on a regular type lock, but its one of those ones with the decorative discs that hides it. Much like the 1996 TARDIS Door :P I have seen this kind before elsewhere, but what is it called? It has to have a name I am sure!

galacticprobe

Nov 29, 2015, 07:09 pm #36 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015, 07:13 pm by galacticprobe
I'm not 100 percent sure, but if what you say about it is true, then I believe it's a lock (or keyhole for said lock) that goes on an external door. That "swing plate" (for lack of a better name for it) is there to keep drafts out, otherwise as with the regular internal door locks, you'd have a great hole in the door; and in the case of an exterior door that would be a great source of heat loss in the cold weather. (The house I grew up in had those kinds of keyholes on all of the interior doors before my gran had it renovated. And just like you see on those TV shows, you really could peer in through the keyhole to see what was going on behind those closed doors. Didn't get to see anything nasty going on; just the grown-ups drinking and playing cards, and talking about things that made no sense to us kids at the time. I think they only closed the doors so the noise wouldn't disturb us kids - who were supposed to be sleeping, but were sneaking a peek into adult life just because it was fun to peek through the keyhole. Hell of a mad dash down the long hallway to the bedroom, though, when we saw someone headed for the door. We just made it into the bedroom 90 percent of the time before someone stepped into the hallway. That other 10 percent of the time? Oooh... I believe the terms used back then were "tanned hides" and "warmed bottoms"!)

So anyway... maybe searching for key words like "antique exterior lock plate" or some such would lead you to something like it.

Dino.

ThisJustinOnline

In searching I also came across a safe with a similar decorative plate. Sometimes it was to hide the keyhole, sometimes it was for added decoration. Fun fun! They easily could have mashed two locks together for this as well. Plate from one added to a bolt they liked. FUUUUUN!

ThisJustinOnline

New video uploaded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-a8iTz6VVk

Identified a few of the parts for the Circle Panel, on the hunt for more! Special thanks to Dino about the key identification, hopefully I repaid in identifying a couple other parts!

galacticprobe

Nov 30, 2015, 06:26 pm #39 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2015, 06:26 pm by galacticprobe
Another superb video, Justin! Great ID on those C&C machine parts. (Now if you can only find one that's being junked so you can grab the wheels and other assorted "cranks" off of it, as you say, without having to spend hundreds of dollars on the machine just to cannibalize it.)

And no need to thank me for the info on the key. I'm more than happy to share any info I come across. And as for being "repaid"... the only payment I get from things like this is seeing great consoles grow at the hands of members like you (and of course those beauty shots of the finished old girl).

I guess that means I work cheap! ;) ;D

Dino.

ThisJustinOnline

Just a small update of the parts I had shipped to a friend in the UK, but starting to get lots of little parts:

12282139_1643395789268522_833911934_o.jpg12287158_1644727452468689_1266412824_o.jpg12334211_1647557582185676_700986754_o.jpg

galacticprobe

Dec 04, 2015, 08:36 pm #41 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2015, 09:01 pm by galacticprobe
Wow! You managed to find a Smiths clock key! Now that is smurfy! That is very smurfy! (Sorry, but I'm really running out of descriptive words: had a really bad turn with the vertigo yesterday so I'm seriously medicated, and since I've been using the term "smurfy" to describe things that I think are, well, smurfy, since 1982, I thought this one was definitely smurferrific!)

Great find, Justin! (And where did you find yours? Ebay like I found mine? Though, mine was by accident: serendipity.)

Dino.

ThisJustinOnline

Ebay is incredibly helpful! And Smurfurific!

ThisJustinOnline

galacticprobe

Dec 10, 2015, 10:38 pm #44 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015, 10:39 pm by galacticprobe
Another great video, Justin! Keep those links posted!

I'm not going to be of much help on this panel, other than with that one toggle switch and the red "safety cover" on it, and that's only to say that you're right about it. The cover does come in different sizes, but there must be a "standard size" for it because I've seen literally hundreds of them on the equipment I worked on while in the military and those were all the same size, with the same size toggle switch under them. Some had spring-loaded switches, which automatically moved to the vertical (middle) position once the cover was lifted, and then you could push the toggle forward (towards the cover's hinge) and the switch would click into position. Then to shut things down you just closed the cover and it moved the switch for you. Others had a toggle switch with only two positions: locked backward (cover closed) and the switch stayed like that even with the cover lifted, and then you flipped the switch forward to the other position when the cover was lifted. And of course closing the cover would flip the switch back to the starting point.

So the cover is probably one of those "standard" sized ones. The toggle switch under it? Not sure how it's configured. I can't remember seeing it used in the show yet, and unless someone gets to touch the console during one of those TARDIS Tours (which I hear are gearing up again), or they show it being used in one of the episodes, we won't get to find out what type of toggle switch it is. (But those switches are easy to change out if that level of accuracy is desired.)

Anyway, great vid, and keep 'em coming!

Dino.