Apr 23, 2024, 07:33 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Primrodo's Capaldi/Smith 2013 Console Build

Started by ThisJustinOnline, Nov 11, 2015, 05:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

May 16, 2016, 07:41 pm #180 Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:43 pm by rassilonsrod
I've been fairly quiet on this thread - but I'm loving this build too :)

This is by far and away my favourite of the new series consoles. I love that it looks like a machine again and the nods to the 5 Doctors console.

You're doing a brilliant job too :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

handofomega

Brush strokes in the silver paint?   Just say that it is brushed steel...  Problem solved!    ;D

galacticprobe

May 17, 2016, 06:27 am #182 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:41 am by galacticprobe
Yeah... okay... Once again just take what everyone else has posted and roll it together into a ball and you've pretty much got what's running through my brain right now. (Well, all except the bit Marc said about this being the favorite console... sorry, Marc, but this is far from my favorite.)

On the flip side of that, I love how you're building this old girl, Justin! The attention to detail is beyond words. (Nice informative video as well. Can't always have the action scenes; you need some dialogue to let people know what's been going on, and what's to come!) It's hard to believe that you've put out 22 weeks of videos already! It seems like just a couple of weeks ago when you started this project. How time flies when you're building a time machine. ;D

I will throw out another dose of Envy(tiny).jpg on this one. (It's been a while since I've done that, and I think the progress on this panel deserves it.) I think it may be directed more towards your skills, the access to the tools and materials needed to build the console, and the room you've got for an 80 percent size build; that's a whopping size in my book!)

And while this might not be one of my favorite consoles, I still have to give this build a 5-stars.jpg rating!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThisJustinOnline

Thanks so much Dino! I appreciate your enthusiasm that that you have been enjoying!

New video up about Parts! Figured some out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo10cciE6KI

Cover23.jpg

handofomega

Justin!!!   :o

Amazeballs!!!!   You are making a prop that is amazing!   Looking forward to seeing it complete!

BioDoctor900

It's looking great so far Justin. I know the struggle of trying to get accurate parts, especially when it's a scale build, as well as the wait to get them in the post. One thing I couldn't get my hands on were the hard drive motors for my console. For some reason they only sell them in America, otherwise you have to buy a bulk load of hard drives and strip them back. The banana connectors are actually on the Tennant console, its a grey board with gallifreyan etched onto it

Keep up the great work and I Look forward to seeing more

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

May 24, 2016, 06:04 am #186 Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
Another great video, Justin! And you're absolutely right; those are banana plugs and jacks. (As an electronics tech I've worked with those since 1981. Now I feel bad; I wish I'd known you were looking for those because I could have told you what they were and saved you a lot of grief!)

The wire going from one plug to the other is the same as that used on multi-meter test leads, so just go to any electronics or electrical supply store (even maybe the electrical section at something like Home Depot) and ask for red test lead wire. (The ones the BioDoc refers to on the 2005 console are indeed banana jacks, but the plugs are different; those are banana jumper leads: different wires and plug housings and designed for connections that are close together - as in connected or not, like a glorified ON/OFF switch - but the jacks are exactly the same.)

The entire assembly - plugs, jacks, and panel - is known as a "Patch Panel". In the military, and probably in other places as well, they're used to patch signals from one path to another. Usually they're audio or RF (Radio Frequency) signals. With that we could connect any radio to any antenna/aerial, mic, or speaker. (They had larger ones using phono plugs and jacks on the 1996 console's patch panel that sat on the "shelf".)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThisJustinOnline

Oh sure now you tell me!

I am looking for EVERYTHING  :P

But that makes alot of sense. Either way making my own aught to be fun!

I have parts coming from ALL over, some are close, some are dead on. Lots of waiting!

galacticprobe

May 26, 2016, 04:52 am #188 Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:53 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Primrodo on May 25, 2016, 04:17 pm
Oh sure now you tell me!

SorryChief.jpg
"Ehh... sorry about that, Chief." ;D

Dino.

dwwho

The old time machine in the police box trick. That's the second time this week!

galacticprobe

May 27, 2016, 07:06 am #190 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:06 am by galacticprobe
I love it when someone catches my references! :D It either dates them so I know they're somewhere near my age, or it proves there are still fans out there of all ages. (In either case, I love it!)

Thanks, dwwho; you made my day!

Dino.

ThisJustinOnline

Smallish update video about making some templates for some laser cut parts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nezA2LjVq8

davidnagel

Nice latest vids Justin

Looks like markofrani got a nice shoutout there ;)
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Jun 01, 2016, 05:13 am #193 Last Edit: Jun 01, 2016, 05:13 am by galacticprobe
Definitely an interesting video, Justin. Nicely done. Two quick questions for you on that one:

1 - How long did that segment actually take you to film? (How long you worked before compressing it into fast-forward)

2 - What program were you using to create the images you needed for the laser cutter, and would that also work for something you wanted to have 3-D printed? (Two-part question, I know, but I'm fascinated by it all.)

Dino.

ThisJustinOnline

Quote from: davidnagel on May 31, 2016, 10:05 pm
Nice latest vids Justin

Looks like markofrani got a nice shoutout there ;)

For sure, his setup inspired me!

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 01, 2016, 05:13 am
Definitely an interesting video, Justin. Nicely done. Two quick questions for you on that one:

1 - How long did that segment actually take you to film? (How long you worked before compressing it into fast-forward)

2 - What program were you using to create the images you needed for the laser cutter, and would that also work for something you wanted to have 3-D printed? (Two-part question, I know, but I'm fascinated by it all.)

Dino.

All in all I probably did that video in about 45 minutes.

I use Adobe Illustrator ad it works well for FLAT, but not for 3D.