Jun 23, 2024, 12:09 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Primrodo's Capaldi/Smith 2013 Console Build

Started by ThisJustinOnline, Nov 11, 2015, 05:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

I'm extremely jealous that you have the space and resources to build this TARDIS. :o ;D
And I might have missed this, but do the panels slide out on drawers (like they did in Flatline to reveal the siege mode lever?)

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

ThisJustinOnline

I can, but I likely will not use that feature ;)

Thanks guys! Next weeks video will make you all squeal with delight I think!

timewomble

Mar 18, 2016, 01:02 pm #137 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2016, 01:05 pm by timewomble
Quote from: The14thDr on Mar 17, 2016, 08:24 pm
And I might have missed this, but do the panels slide out on drawers (like they did in Flatline to reveal the siege mode lever?)

They didn't. They cut a panel in the underside of one bottom "drawer". The lever was mounted on the other side of that panel and visible when it was open. We don't see the panel being opened but we see the Doctor dive towards it when already open, and pull down the lever. It all looked a bit delicate and ugly to me actually, with horrible hinges, and it would be a shame to mar Primrodo's beautiful console with the same kind of bodge.

The14thDr

I never knew that (you learn something new every day! ;D). And I agree, this build is too fantastic to ruin for the sake of something that only appeared for one episode and was never mentioned again.

Looking forward to more videos!

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Mar 19, 2016, 05:18 am #139 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016, 05:21 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: timewomble on Mar 18, 2016, 01:02 pm
It all looked a bit delicate and ugly to me actually, with horrible hinges, and it would be a shame to mar Primrodo's beautiful console with the same kind of bodge.

Quote from: The14thDr on Mar 18, 2016, 02:42 pm
And I agree, this build is too fantastic to ruin for the sake of something that only appeared for one episode and was never mentioned again.

Looks like a few (and probably a lot more) of us are in agreement about not wanting to see Justin's build get "the ugly treatment" for the sake of a Siege Mode Switch installation as seen in "Flatline". That said, with the precision that Justin is going through to get this console looking as beautiful as she is (and from me - not a fan of this console - that's saying something of how impressed I am with this), I'm sure that if Justin ever wants to add that Siege Mode Switch feature to his console, he'll figure out a way to make it look like it was intended that way all along, rather than a quick props guys job (because they were told at the last minute this Siege Mode Switch panel was needed for the next scene; you may think I jest, but I know people that have worked on several 'Trek' series and films, and far too many times they were given less than an hour notice that something was needed, and they had to bodge something together and make it look 'Trekful').

So if Justin does want his console to have a pop-down panel with a Siege Mode Switch, I'm sure he'll build it in so no one will ever know which panel it drops down from, and when it does drop down, it will look sufficiently technologically advanced to match this console's grandeur. (I hope I'm not praising your abilities up too high, Justin, but you're setting the bar on this one rather high! ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThisJustinOnline

LOL Bar set!

But yes if I decide to add things here and there I may try different attempts. Lots to think about and decide. I have had a few people wonder what things will be included as there are some parts of the console changed here and there and really when it comes to it it will be whatever I think I like more at the time. So you never know!!

ThisJustinOnline

Thought I would reach out for some opinions!

My custom panel!

Panel2.jpg

Not 100% done, but to give you an idea on parts I have so far and want to include. I still need to find some stuff!

Panel1.jpg

I've had some donated parts, so they are included.

The 3 black buttons under the crank knob and the multi blocks will be my extra keys from the keyboard.

The big black boxes beside the lights will be classic slide switches.

Half sphere lights for fun!

The middle at the bottom will have a flap/door to open for it.

As for overall design, I figured the top part to have the black glossy metal like the panel, the second area to be recessed and the third to be a shelf and level with the floor.

If that all makes sense?

Thoughts?

ThisJustinOnline

Mar 21, 2016, 02:02 am #142 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 02:02 am by Primrodo
Here is how they would all look together.

All.jpg

Mark

I think that your custom panel fits perfectly with the overall style of this console with a few nice nods to older consoles.

I have to say that it looks a whole lot better than that weird foam thing the real one has!

ThisJustinOnline

Latest Video is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggp_FUqE2dQ

Let me know what you think and about the panel update above!

ThisJustinOnline

Quote from: Mark on Mar 21, 2016, 12:04 pm
I think that your custom panel fits perfectly with the overall style of this console with a few nice nods to older consoles.

I have to say that it looks a whole lot better than that weird foam thing the real one has!

Thanks Mark! That was my hope, I wanted it to fit in with the overall aesthetic for sure, and yet reference some things not referenced yet. Obviously some very classic traits but I think still pretty fun and unique for my own wants.

galacticprobe

Mar 22, 2016, 04:44 am #146 Last Edit: Mar 22, 2016, 04:44 am by galacticprobe
Your videos are just as amazing as your build, Justin! Fast-forward aside, you're still zipping through this build. You're doing an outstanding job and seeing the console assembled like that was a real eye-opener. (And it's scaled down to boot!)

I'm already looking forward to the next installment!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

It has certainly come along way after not too long ago! Just as quick as Gregg is with his Hartnell build, you console builders are all so stunningly fast!

It'll be interesting to see how the scaling down of the console affects how the unscaled bits and bobs look on it, like the electric kv meter for example.
Regards
David

ThisJustinOnline

Ask and ye shall receive!

I printed out everything I had laid out so far. Basically I kept everything at full size and just brought them in closer, with minor exceptions

IMG_9604.JPG

IMG_9605.JPG

galacticprobe

Mar 23, 2016, 04:23 am #149 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016, 04:24 am by galacticprobe
It looks like everything is going to fit rather well. One panel I'm really interested in seeing come together is the "clockwork" panel. I'm guessing you'll have all of the gears cut out on the CNC machine, but do you have any plans (or any ideas) on how all of those gears fit together, and reach out enough so that crank handle can turn them?

That one's always puzzled me. Even looking at a clear still of that panel - after the lighting was added, post "The Snowmen" - it's impossible for me to decipher the inner workings of it. (And speaking of the lighting in that panel, are you going to be using the initial blue lighting, or the updated purplish-lavender-ish lighting?)

Dino.