Apr 23, 2024, 08:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Goldendale's First TARDIS

Started by Bob's your Uncle, Nov 06, 2015, 03:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Such is the peril of this board.  Between learning about the props and seeing other builds, you get a desire to build another TARDIS.  And really, it's hard to have an excuse to have 2 TARDISes.  Heck, even the BBC didn't until 1980-ish (unless you count  the Newberry and the Brachaki, which I don't because the Brachaki got retired.) 

Speaking of which, reading your bit on trying to lay cloth on the corners reminded me that you can get resin with glass strands in it for just that kind of application.  Day late and a dollar short, I know.  That said, I suspect the wood will function nicely like glass cloth, absorbing and binding the resin.  At least well enough for your purposes. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Bob's your Uncle

Feb 05, 2016, 07:20 pm #61 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2016, 07:46 pm by Bob's your Uncle
Well, here are the last photos that you will see of my TARDIS without clothes, next comes a coat of primer, or as I prefer to call it, lingerie.   ;D ::)

The last eight pieces of quarter-round were glued and nailed in place.
Holes have been Spackled, gaps have been caulked.
Everything has been sanded smooth, or smooth enough.

DSC05240.jpg

DSC05243.jpg

DSC05246.jpg

Here is one last photo of The Doctors Eye before getting covered in primer.

DSC05256.jpg

I made one last minute design change.
I should have reinforced the joint between the plywood roof panels while I was building the roof, but I told myself..."Don't worry about it, the fiberglass will hold it together". Now that I've had more time to think it over, I've decided to glue a piece of lath strip to the underside of the joint. I'm just worried about expansion and contraction as the weather changes.

DSC05258.jpg

I didn't use any nails or screws, just Gorilla Glue, I didn't want to risk puncturing the fiberglass layer. I don't know if it will do anything, but I will sleep better at night.

DSC05261.jpg

OK, I'm off to start slathering primer everywhere.
Stay tuned.

Greg.

P.S. Can someone tell me how to attach a photo to this thread when it appears on the tardisbuilders homepage?
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

galacticprobe

Feb 06, 2016, 05:34 am #62 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2016, 05:43 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Bob's your Uncle on Feb 05, 2016, 07:20 pm
Well, here are the last photos that you will see of my TARDIS without clothes, next comes a coat of primer, or as I prefer to call it, lingerie.   ;D ::)

Greg! This is a Lady we're talking about here. That primer you refer to - it's a petticoat! ;) :) :D ;D

And she's looking very beautiful. Excellent work on her construction. And I wouldn't worry about those lath strips inside the roof; that Gorilla Glue is some really strong stuff. I ended up using some on that old wooden skiff I restored some years ago and it held up well - better than well!

Quote from: Bob's your Uncle on Feb 05, 2016, 07:20 pm
P.S. Can someone tell me how to attach a photo to this thread when it appears on the tardisbuilders homepage?

This might help. When you go to select a photo to post, you should see your other photos that you've already posted listed in a table like this:
ThumbnailSelection.jpg
All you need to do to get a "Thumbnail" image to be the photo of your thread is to find the photo you want to use, and then under that "Topic Thumbnail" column (red oval), click on the bubble (red arrow) next to that photo. Then that photo will be your Topic Thumbnail and will appear in the "Topic" column on the Forum's Main Page, just to the left of the Title of your topic.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Bob's your Uncle

Thanks, Dino, and you're right, I should have shown more respect for the old girl.  ;D

Just an added note on the priming. I was painting along on the first coat of primer when I looked down at the can in my hand, INTERIOR PRIMER!!! :o

Oh well, I'll just go over it with the right stuff.  ::)
There's nothing like doing things twice.

Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

Volpone

You must absolutely keep us up to date on how effective your work has been, long term.  It looks like you've made some very solid choices for an outdoor TARDIS, although I've gotten almost paranoid on water intrusion (between the TARDIS and my garage) so I just devil's advocate saw some possible issues, but it could just be me overreacting.  And anyway, I think you've got them under control with all the other choices you've made. 

Rather than keep you in suspense, though, as I was looking at your cool metal door-stop to protect the trimwork, it occurred to me that water could run off your fiberglass roof and then cling to the POLICE BOX signs to attack the top of the unprotected walls of the box.  Possible ways to counter that would be flashing under the POLICE BOX signs (the top of a metal strip would go up, behind the sign and the bottom edge would project down onto the trimwork) or some kind of drip-edge on the bottom of the POLICE BOX signs. 

That said, it looks like you've very nicely protected everything and used good materials so as long as you keep an eye out for water intrusion, you're probably fine.  Besides, 90% of the decisions I've made to protect my box seem to have been completely wrong, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.  At this point I'm like Curly, trying to unroll wallpaper, when it comes to water intrusion.  Or Porky Pig with a drippy faucet. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Bob's your Uncle

Feb 08, 2016, 04:44 am #65 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2016, 05:41 am by Bob's your Uncle
"You must absolutely keep us up to date on how effective your work has been, long term." (Sorry, I haven't figured out the quote function, yet).

I will.
When this TARDIS is finished (which isn't going to be for awhile), I plan on hanging around this site into the foreseeable future.
I like seeing all of the great ideas and the talent and craftsmanship, all dedicated to something that I've become fascinated with...Doctor Who.
Who knows? I may want to build Clara's Diner TARDIS next.  ;D  Don't tell the wife.  ;)

index.jpg

I like how the door and window frames are TARDIS blue, and the top of the roof looks very TARDISy.
I suggested to the wife that we decorate the interior of our TARDIS like the interior of the diner. Her reaction  ::) ::) ::)

"it occurred to me that water could run off your fiberglass roof and then cling to the POLICE BOX signs to attack the top of the unprotected walls of the box."

The Police Box at Crich has a groove on the bottom of the "Police Box" sign that I'm assuming was a drip edge. I knew that it might be a good idea to replicate it, but thought that it might weaken the thin piece of wood that I used. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and if it becomes a problem, figure it out later.  ???

DSCF4030 smaller.jpg

I'm not sure who owns the photo above, I probably copied it from this site. Is it OK for me to re-post these without permission. I'm not sure about the etiquette, let me know if I've crossed a line.

"At this point I'm like Curly, trying to unroll wallpaper, when it comes to water intrusion.  Or Porky Pig with a drippy faucet."

I also have problems with roof leaks and gutter drips. That's why I'm hoping the TARDIS will be a success.
I guess I need to search for that Porky Pig episode,  :D

Thanks,
Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09

galacticprobe

Feb 08, 2016, 05:28 am #66 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2016, 06:32 am by galacticprobe
My worry on water intrusion is that it could get in through the doors, or the windows. I would also worry about it seeping between the rails and stiles on the doors and sides, and then sitting in those spots working its evil rotting magic. Of course some pinpoint use of that Flex Shot that Darph Bobo sells on TV could seal those areas so the rails and stiles are absolutely isolated so water sitting on a stile has nowhere to go but out and down, or evaporate.

Quote from: Bob's your Uncle on Feb 08, 2016, 04:44 am
(Sorry, I haven't figured out the quote function, yet).

Easy one, Greg. If you look at the upper right corner of the post you want to quote from, you'll see a "Quote" link. Just click on that and your comment/reply will include that post in a quote.

Then, if you need to edit out some parts of the quote, just highlight the parts you want to edit out and press the Delete key. And if you want to break things up so you can reply to it in chunks (like I do quite often), just add a line return where you want to break it by placing your cursor where you want the break, click the mouse so you get the blinking line in place, and then press your Enter key to get that line return. Once you've done that, press the key with the [ bracket on it, then type in (without quotes) "/quote", and then press the key with the ] bracket on it. That will end the post that you want to quote.

To continue answering and breaking the post in chunks, just add another line return after you've finished with that part of your reply, look for the beginning of the original start of the post you're quoting (it will start with - again without quotes or spaces after the bracket - "[ quote author=" and have the member's username, topic number, more numbers, and will end with a "]"). Highlight that line, copy it, and then paste it in that extra line return you've added. That will "restart" the quoted post from where you left off. Then find where you want to break the post again, do the line return, add the [ /quote ] (no spaces; I needed them here just to avoid the error message), put in another line return and repeat.

(Does that makes sense?)

I'm not sure who owns the photo above, I probably copied it from this site. Is it OK for me to re-post these without permission. I'm not sure about the etiquette, let me know if I've crossed a line.

Usually, if the image has been posted here, there's no problem with reposting it in another thread for reference. Usually, when someone does that, they'll add a little comment like "Image courtesy of" and put the member's username. So you're safe.

I also have problems with roof leaks and gutter drips. That's why I'm hoping the TARDIS will be a success.

I'm sure the Old Girl will be a great success!

Thanks,
Greg.

You're more than welcome. I'm always glad to help out in any way I can.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Bob's your Uncle

Feb 08, 2016, 03:34 pm #67 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2016, 03:35 pm by Bob's your Uncle
Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 08, 2016, 05:28 am

(Does that makes sense?

Dino.

Well, let's try it and find out.

Edit: Yes, I might have just learned a new skill. Thanks.

Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09

galacticprobe

Feb 09, 2016, 04:30 am #68 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2016, 04:30 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Bob's your Uncle on Feb 08, 2016, 03:34 pm
Edit: Yes, I might have just learned a new skill. Thanks.

You're more than welcome, Greg! I'm glad it made sense to someone other than me. I'd think about adding that little tidbit to the "Helpful Hints" post, but I don't want it to grow into a monster. Maybe I'll just keep a copy of the link to that post so the next time someone has the same question about quoting, I can just post the link and direct them here... make it there... (I think you know what I mean. :P)

Dino.

Volpone

This thread inspired a post in my old thread.  Long story short, it's easy to waterproof the top, but the base is important too.  Notwithstanding water seeping up from the ground, everything runs down the walls to the lip of the base.  And even with a nice beveled edge, there's a chance for water to get in there too, so if you've got any resin left, it wouldn't hurt to hit the bit where the walls join the base with some. 
-The Doctor.

Bob's your Uncle

Great minds think alike, Volpone.

I neglected to mention this in the post above, but the last two batches of resin that I mixed up for the roof, I had extra. So instead of just throwing it out, I quickly-before-it-hardened spread it on the base and up the corner posts a few inches. Of course my walls aren't in place yet, but it might help protect the base.

'Hide'  S07 E09

Bob's your Uncle

Feb 13, 2016, 12:34 am #71 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016, 01:26 am by Bob's your Uncle
Time for the unveiling.

After two coats of primer, she's looking more beautiful than ever.

DSC05268.jpg

Let me update you on the latest TTI numbers. On the last shopping trip I picked up the last six pieces of quarter-round ($26.82), another can of Spackle ($4.28), a gallon of oil-based primer and some misc. paint supplies ($24.18), for a Total TARDIS Investment of $596.13

DSC05266.jpg

The next person that I need to talk to is my friend Robert in the Home Depot paint department. Robert is another long time Doctor Who fan and the only one I will trust with the blue paint. He already has a color in mind for my TARDIS, so I'm going to have him mix up a sample of his color, and then mix up a sample of a color taken from a small toy TARDIS that I have on my desk.

DSC05279.jpg

'Hide'  S07 E09

galacticprobe

Feb 13, 2016, 06:13 am #72 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016, 06:14 am by galacticprobe
WOW! So far she's looking like she's ready for her shots in the beginning of "The Mind Robber", when she's in the White Void. And you're managing to keep your costs down nicely while still turning out something that looks very solid! And your seams look very well sealed up. Bravo on that!

Dino.

Volpone

Magnificent.  I'm too late (just as well) to suggest the interior should show off your carpentry and just be swabbed with linseed oil. 

(Paint is more accurate and probably more weather resistant.)
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Agreed!
Loving this build.
Looking forward to further updates.
Truly a thing of beauty!

Russell.