Goldendale's First TARDIS

Started by Bob's your Uncle, Nov 06, 2015, 03:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Oct 07, 2017, 08:14 pm #361 Last Edit: Oct 07, 2017, 08:15 pm by galacticprobe
UltimateCool.jpg
Yeah... it's THAT cool! ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Bob's your Uncle

Thanks Five,
I'm quite proud of that one.

Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

Bob's your Uncle

Mar 08, 2018, 05:51 pm #363 Last Edit: Mar 08, 2018, 06:23 pm by Bob's your Uncle
Hello Everyone,

I would like to show-off the latest addition to my TARDIS.

A 3D printed St. John Ambulance emblem.

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

(I started another thread here... http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8516.msg108020;topicseen#msg108020 ...to get answers to some questions I have about 3D printing.)

I designed the 3D printed version using elements from two photos that I found on tardisbuilders.com.

stj.jpg

MetBoxBadge(Variant)-300dpi.jpg

Now, I know that the Crich Police Box does not have an ambulance sign on it, but my Crich replica/TARDIS will, just because I like it (and nobody but you guys will ever notice).   ;D

Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

wine-o

Well reading through this thread has left me dizzy.

It has made me realise 2 things.

One. My (cough) Tardis is a pale imitation of this one (I didn't know Tardis envy existed until today)

Two.  I didn't take enough photos...

3 things... 3 things.

Three. Timber is much cheaper in the USA than in the UK

OK 4 things...

Four. Paint is also much cheaper in the USA..
Barman says "I'm sorry we don't serve time travellers.."

The Doctor walks into a bar.

galacticprobe

Apr 27, 2018, 05:18 am #365 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018, 05:21 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: wine-o on Apr 26, 2018, 06:22 pm
Well reading through this thread...

It has made me realise 2 things.

3 things... 3 things.

OK 4 things...

This was beginning to sound like it should have started with "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" Okay... make that "...The TARDIS Inquisition!" ;D (Sorry... just couldn't resist that one.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

I actually typed up "Right, I'll come in again," but apparently didn't post it because it seemed too silly. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Bob's your Uncle

Apr 29, 2018, 03:58 am #367 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2018, 06:04 am by Bob's your Uncle
Thanks Wine-o, that was a nice ego boost.
And I do love photos.  ;D

This is also a good time for a TARDIS update.

I was reading another thread on here about doing a springtime inspection of your outdoor TARDIS', and it reminded me that I have an outdoor TARDIS in MY backyard, too.
Now that it's built, the TARDIS is just another part of the yard. I walk by it everyday without really thinking about it. I haven't been paying much attention to it lately.

So a springtime inspection was a great idea!

Last spring, the most concerning problem I found was dried water stains under a few of the windows. This year...nothing new to report. No new leaks, no new stains.   :)

The fiberglass roof shows no problems other than dirt and grime. The winter even washed away most of the bird poop.

The paint is a little dirty, and the caulked joints are showing through, but a new paint job is just not going to happen this year.

Groot (the root in my TARDIS basement) is now only a twig with eight leaves, growing through a loose floorboard. If I trim back Groot and replace the floorboard, I think that my root problems may be over.
The Floorboard was out of place because that board is my access to the electrical outlet under the floor, which someday is going to be used for.....? Stay Tuned!!

DSC00624.jpg

After looking through my earlier posts, I realized that I never showed you any photos of my TARDIS phone in it's proper place.
The phone door held up well against the winter, but now it rubs a little on the bottom corner. You have to give it a little extra tug to get it open.

DSC00631.jpg

DSC00626.jpg

I know that the phone isn't authentic to 'Doctor Who', but it's the weirdest phone I could find, and it was free.
Plus, it has roses on it.
You know...like, Rose...the companion.   ;D  (Sorry, kinda lame)

So, all in all, the TARDIS passed her Annual Springtime Inspection with flying colors. The cat even checked the basement for rodents. Nothing to report.

Greg.
(P.S. I have one more photo to share, but I'll save it for my 'TARDIS Gallery')

'Hide'  S07 E09

Volpone

A couple thoughts on the phone:  1) It isn't *that* eccentric.  If you painted it black it would look more or less correct.  2) a garden-themed phone is fitting for a garden TARDIS. 3) it would be almost worth the monthly bill to install a land-line phone to the police box.  Almost.  One day I plan to do the simpler and less expensive option of wiring up a military surplus phone as a kind of intercom in mine. 

Next thought is on the lawn chair.  It reminds me of the occasional episode where The Doctor promises to take his crew to some oceanfront paradise and everyone emerges with beach balls and lawn chairs and swimwear--only to find they're in Antarctica or some radioactive place with Daleks. 

In closing, this thread has been fun, to see your methodical approach to everything up to and including unforseen tree roots.  All the best. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

wine-o

I think I replied on the same thread regards springtime inspection/maintenance...

Mine has been out for one winter and the roof is already showing signs of wear and tear. Good quality ply used, all cut edges sealed. 1 x primer, 1 x undercoat and 3 x coats of oil based gloss...

Yet still paint has flaked and a small area of ply is showing signs of delamination.  I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get the ladders out and get a fibreglass kit to cover the lid. Never used fibreglass before. I assume I'll have to sand off the paint first ? Or will it bond without sanding all the paint off ? (say just sanded to give a "Key") ??
Barman says "I'm sorry we don't serve time travellers.."

The Doctor walks into a bar.

Volpone

I used tar paper/roofer's felt.  Cut triangles large enough to cover 2 sides and then overlapped them so all sides had 2 layers of tar paper on them.*  Painted that.  Caulked the seams.  It sucked up a ton of paint but it worked fine.  One of the few things I got right on the first try. 

*Actually I only had enough leftover tar paper to have 3 squares, so one panel only has 1 layer of tar paper on it, but that's just because I ran out of material. 
-The Doctor.

Bob's your Uncle

Apr 30, 2018, 03:12 am #371 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2018, 03:28 am by Bob's your Uncle
Thanks, Dino.
When I ran the underground power line, I added a phone line. It's not connected to anything now because we no longer have landline service to our house.
Smart phones, and all.   ::)  But it might come in useful someday.

Wine-O, in my experience, fiberglass sticks to anything. I think I've still got some on my garage floor.   ;D
Seriously though, I'm not sure about over paint, there could be some kind of reaction, I suppose.
Someone on here should know the answer.

Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09

galacticprobe

Apr 30, 2018, 04:32 am #372 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2018, 04:33 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Bob's your Uncle on Apr 30, 2018, 03:12 am
Thanks, Dino.

You're welcome, Greg... I think. ??? (I know I'm daft at times, but... what did I say? :-\)

Quote from: Bob's your Uncle on Apr 30, 2018, 03:12 am
When I ran the underground power line, I added a phone line. It's not connected to anything now because we no longer have landline service to our house.
Smart phones, and all.   ::)  But it might come in useful someday.

Erm... unless it was about this, in which case Other Steve (Volpone) gets the credit (though I do agree with him about the phone). :)

Dino.

Bob's your Uncle

Apr 30, 2018, 04:46 am #373 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2018, 04:47 am by Bob's your Uncle
::) My bad. I misread Volpone's post.
Let me start again...

Thanks, Volpone. I regret that I didn't get to see your TARDIS before you left Portland.

Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09

Volpone

Don't. It isn't nearly as nice as yours.  Although I'm quite content with it. 
-The Doctor.