Jul 22, 2024, 07:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Goldendale's First TARDIS

Started by Bob's your Uncle, Nov 06, 2015, 03:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Bob's your Uncle

Thanks Tony. I'll put that on my Must Watch List.

Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

Volpone

I'd try to go into it with low expectations.  The first time I saw it, I hated it.  The second time, I thought it wasn't a bad way to waste 2-ish hours.  I'd love to have seen it executed by a different producer--tighter writing, better direction, a Doctor that isn't dressed like a clown... 

But there is a scene where angry miners load the TARDIS onto a cart and push it into a mineshaft.  And there are some kind of neat moments in it and an interesting premise. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Bob's your Uncle

I'm excited!!
Tomorrow is moving day! I will finally have a TARDIS in my yard.
Sure, it's still just a skeleton of a TARDIS, but no less exciting.

My buddy Ken will be over in the morning. I hope he eats his Wheaties, He's going to need all the strength he can muster.

Stay tuned.
Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

Bob's your Uncle

May 27, 2016, 05:25 am #109 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:55 am by Bob's your Uncle
Well, today was the big day!  ;D
TARDIS moving day.

Here's a shot of the TARDIS heading down the driveway to the back yard.

DSC06231.jpg

Almost there. A tight fit through the gate.
That's my buddy Ken. Thanks Ken. I couldn't have done it without you.

DSC06233.jpg

The view from my favorite patio chair.

DSC06235.jpg

The view from the other side of the yard.

DSC06237.jpg

Does anyone know how to keep the little yappers from peeing on the new TARDIS?

DSC06241.jpg

My yard got a little smaller but my garage got a whole lot bigger.

After moving it out into the sunlight it became obvious that five coats of paint were not enough. I can still see the white primer showing through.
Once I get the wall/door panels built, I'll give everything another coat.

'Hide'  S07 E09

TheOncomingStorm

May 27, 2016, 06:40 pm #110 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:40 pm by TheOncomingStorm
Drool...
Wonderful build. I am very jealous. Keep it up!

Bob's your Uncle

Thanks Storm.

I'm very happy with the results so far.
Now it's time for Mother Nature to have a crack at Her.

Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09

Volpone

I don't know if I've seen a build progress in this manner.  It's interesting to see the "skeleton" of a TARDIS put in place, with the panels to come.  Looking forward to the next post. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Bob's your Uncle

May 28, 2016, 05:18 am #113 Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:30 am by Bob's your Uncle
Hi Volpone,

I was a little apprehensive about moving her out into the weather without her walls, but she takes up a lot of real estate in my workshop and I need the space to build the walls. Catch 22?

The TARDIS skeleton is completely covered in exterior paint, so I'm not worried about that, but I'm still going to put some temporary braces across the middle to keep the center door stops from warping. I might end up covering her in a tarp until the walls are ready (blue, of course).
I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to start the wall panels. The TARDIS Inc. CEO (Mrs. Bob's Your Uncle) has been sending out schedule changes like crazy.  ;D  We have our youngest daughter graduating from high school one day (as Salutatorian, no less  ;D), and the next day my son gets married north of Seattle, a four hour drive. Then, after that, our oldest daughter just bought her first home in Spokane, WA (four hours in the opposite direction) and needs help remodeling, which will involve a few weekends of hard labor. Now, I'm not complaining (they could be reading this), but come on....how's a guy supposed to build his TARDIS!

But, wait till you see what I accomplished today!  ;D
I'll try to get some photos posted tomorrow.

Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09

mobius

you can get tinted primer paint! but more coats is better anyway if it's an indoor outdoor Tardis. I don't envy anyone making one water resistant. I do that on real houses enough, happy to keep mine safe from snow and squirrels. lookin good anyway, solid!
It's always a matter of time...

Bob's your Uncle

I thought about tinting the primer, but then I would have needed a second can of primer for the white interior. I was trying to save money. I may do something different when it comes time to paint the wall panels.

Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09

Bob's your Uncle

May 30, 2016, 02:00 am #116 Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:04 am by Bob's your Uncle
OK, so I've got the entire day to devote to my TARDIS.  ;D
Let's get started!

The first place I started was the "Police Box" signs.

I lined the inside of the box with glazing tape. It's 1/16" thick, sticky on both sides and sticks very well to many surfaces.
And it's free!

DSC06260.jpg

Actually it's from the leftover supplies from the glass business that my wife and I ran for nearly twenty years, before my Home Depot career began. Our home is on one end of the building, and the glass shop is on the other. The glass shop is closed now, but it is still my workshop.

Next I squirted some silicone around the outside edge of the glazing tape and set a piece of 1/8" glass against it. The glazing tape will hold it in place until the silicone dries.

And yes, it's very windy here today.

DSC06264.jpg

The view from the outside.
I'll clean up the silicone that oozed out after it's set.

DSC06265.jpg

Next I cut up the poster print.

DSC06270.jpg

Next I cut the four pieces of glass for the inside.

DSC06267.jpg

I set the poster paper against the outside pane of glass, held the inside pane in place with a couple of glazing points, and went around the whole thing with more silicone.
So, in theory, the poster paper should be sealed inside a moisture-proof enclosure, with no way for any water to get in and spoil everything....

I hope.

In theory.

DSC06276.jpg

Next came the top lamp.

I started by gluing the glass fresnel to the lamp base.
Since I don't want any leaks, I bought the newest, greatest, most high-tech silicone sealant that money can buy.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Then I cut a piece of aluminum screen to fit between the glass and the top cap.
I know that bugs are going to get into my TARDIS, I just don't want to make it easy for them.

DSC06280.jpg

And the finishing touch!

DSC06283.jpg

At this point the TARDIS is 100% complete from the tip top of the lamp, down to the bottom of the three-step lintel.
Hey, it's a start.  ;D

DSC06288.jpg

The sunset shining through the signs.

DSC06292.jpg

The sunset shining through the top lamp.

DSC06294.jpg

So, what's the first thing you do when you get the top lamp of your TARDIS done?

Wait for dusk and....
Light It Up!!  ;D

DSC06299.jpg

That shot was taken with a battery powered camping light stuck up through the bottom of the lamp and a 75 watt incandescent bulb shining though the "Police Box" signs, with the camera flash on.

The next shot is with the flash off.

DSC06301.jpg

The "Police Box" sign have a very purple tint to them, it may be the light bulb that I used. I'll try some other light bulbs to see the if it changes the color.
If that's the best that it gets, I'm OK with it until something better can take it's place. Trust me, the price was right.

Well, that's it for now.
It was a very productive TARDIS day.

Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09

mobius

looking beautiful man! is the lantern engineered to vent heat out of the top below the cap?
It's always a matter of time...

russellsuthern

Absolutely beautiful!

Really high level of workmanship.
I'm very excited to see how this build develops.

Russell

Bob's your Uncle

Yes, the lamp cap should allow enough air flow to vent the heat.

Greg.

'Hide'  S07 E09