Apr 19, 2024, 11:48 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Doctor's guitar amp

Started by deck5, Nov 04, 2015, 05:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

deck5

Starting with some lights, a floor, and a plain box of the correct dimensions.
show1.png

Pictures of the original Fender amp are sourced and cleaned up.
show2.png

The images are applied to the surface of the box.
show3.png

The box is indented on the top and front, the knobs are added, and feet are added to bottom of the box.
show4.png

Here the conversion from Fender to Magpie is accomplished. The emblem on the grille is removed, and the logo is changed.
show5.png

The back is also modified to be a Magpie product.
show6.png

All the source images are dirtied up to give a sense of age and wear.
show7.png

Here's the dirtied-up version of the back.
show8.png

The greebles are added -- all the sci-fi jazz that makes it a Doctor Who prop.
show9.png

This is the rear view.
show9-1.png

The floor and background are replaced, the lighting tweaked, and a final render is done.
show10.png

galacticprobe

Nov 04, 2015, 06:01 am #1 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2015, 06:01 am by galacticprobe
Whoa! That's one heck of a render! In that last image it looks so realistic that anyone could just walk up to it and carry it away! Nicely done!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

This is a fantastic render Deck5. I have to agree with Dino here; that last photo looks like a photo from the set.
How did you create the Magpie sticker for the back of the amp? Do you have a vector image or anything similar?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

deck5

Nov 04, 2015, 07:06 pm #3 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2015, 07:07 pm by deck5
Quote from: The14thDr on Nov 04, 2015, 04:28 pm
This is a fantastic render Deck5. I have to agree with Dino here; that last photo looks like a photo from the set.
How did you create the Magpie sticker for the back of the amp? Do you have a vector image or anything similar?

Thanks to both of you!

I drew up the plaque on the back very quickly in a paint program, and then distressed it with a couple of grunge textures.  I do have the logo as a vector, but the huge version posted here last week is at least as good.

magpieplateold.png

davidnagel

Nice. I like that! Well done :)
Regards
David

The14thDr

Quote from: deck5 on Nov 04, 2015, 07:06 pm
I drew up the plaque on the back very quickly in a paint program, and then distressed it with a couple of grunge textures.  I do have the logo as a vector, but the huge version posted here last week is at least as good.

Thanks Deck5. :) Do you mind if I printed this out for my real-life guitar amp build?
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Senseidale

"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

rob49152

oh my word!! This is awesome. I started doing my own model a few weeks ago but got more involved in the guitar part. But now I am inspired to go back to finish my model.

galacticprobe

Nov 06, 2015, 05:52 am #8 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Nov 05, 2015, 04:21 pm
Thanks Deck5. :) Do you mind if I printed this out for my real-life guitar amp build?

Ditto, Neal! The Evil One has a small amp for her electric violin and I'd love to stick this on it!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

deck5

By all means!  Feel free, both of you and anyone else who has use of it.

davidnagel

Wait a minute!

There's something missing!

Where's the clockwork squirrel!!
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2015, 06:18 am #11 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2015, 06:20 am by galacticprobe
Thanks, Neal! And I know I'm daft as a brush (more often than not), but have I missed something with this logo? ???

Clockwork squirrel? :-\

Dino.

rob49152

Nov 07, 2015, 06:35 am #12 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2015, 06:44 am by rob49152
Magpie Electronics was the name of the radio (TV) store from the episode 'The Idiots Lantern'. Since then the logo has appeared on almost every episode since somewhere or the other, on some piece of electronics or another.

There  was a reference to a 'clockwork squirrel' a few episodes ago. In 'Under the Lake' the Doctor asks Clara 'Why don't I have a radio in the TARDIS' and Clara replies 'You took it apart to make a clockwork squirrel'

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2015, 07:45 am #13 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2015, 07:45 am by galacticprobe
I know all about Magpie Electricals. Those labels were on several controls of the 2010 console (the pull-down monitor, the red-tipped lever housings). But I definitely missed that bit of dialogue from "Under the Lake". Now I'll have to go back and watch it again and pay more attention. (Thanks for the info, Rob!)

Dino.