Apr 20, 2024, 07:06 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The14thDr's TARDIS Console Room

Started by The14thDr, Oct 17, 2015, 09:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

May 18, 2016, 03:20 pm #60 Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:22 pm by The14thDr
Over the past couple of months I've been working away on the second police box door.

(**side note: I used the same method to build this door as I did for the right-hand door, so for more information see the page 1 of this thread**)

When it came to painting the door, I had to buy another bottle of paint, as I had used an entire bottle to paint my first door.
However, the branding for the blue craft paint has changed, and the new paint is darker than the original paint.
image.jpg

Personally, I think this new paint is much better than the old paint, as it looks much closer to the "Oxford blue" used on the Matt Smith TARDIS.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

nebula1253

That door seems a little bent at the top. How are you going to rectify that?
Also, nice progress there!  ;D

The14thDr

Hopefully when I attach the door to its frame, the top of the door should straighten itself out (that's what happened with the other door).

nebula1253

The14thDr

May 22, 2016, 11:17 am #64 Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:24 am by The14thDr
I've spent most of the weekend repainting my first TARDIS door to match the one I completed last weekend.
IMG_20160522_1053563_rewind.jpg

One undercoat with one-coat emulsion paint, a thin coat of dark blue paint (which I left overnight to dry), and finally a really thick coat of dark blue paint that takes about 24 hours to dry properly.
IMG_20160522_1140585_rewind.jpg

When I was repainting the door, I caught the St. John logo a few times with the brush, so it's looking a bit worse for wear (and I haven't even gotten into the Vortex yet!! >:( ;D)

I'm not sure whether to leave this as it is and put it down to damage from the Time Winds, replace it with the same logo (the series 8 variant) or replace it with a different version of the logo (maybe the one from the 1963 TARDIS, as a homage to where it all began, perhaps?) Thoughts??
IMG_20160522_1141079_rewind.jpg

Finally, I went out to the shed to measure up for the roundels. I have decided to use plain circular rounders as a nod to the Classic console rooms, and I will make them using sheets of craft foam.
Below are the quick notes I drew up to work out how many roundels I will need (which may or may not make sense to anyone other than me ;D)
IMG_20160522_1220279_rewind.jpg

galacticprobe

May 23, 2016, 07:01 am #65 Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:01 am by galacticprobe
Nice door! (Nice color, too.) As for the St. John Ambulance logo, I'd leave it as it. The Series 8 version goes well with your windows, and a little "wear" showing on it is sort of a nod to the Hartnell version; that one was pretty well wiped over with blue paint when they dirtied the prop down after the pilot. (Just take a look at it in some of the color publicity photos in the TARDIS Reference Section.) So a little blue smearage on the Series 8 logo is kind of a serendipitous touch - at least in my book.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

May 28, 2016, 04:34 pm #66 Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:47 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: galacticprobe on May 23, 2016, 07:01 am
Nice door! (Nice color, too.) As for the St. John Ambulance logo, I'd leave it as it. The Series 8 version goes well with your windows, and a little "wear" showing on it is sort of a nod to the Hartnell version; that one was pretty well wiped over with blue paint when they dirtied the prop down after the pilot. (Just take a look at it in some of the color publicity photos in the TARDIS Reference Section.) So a little blue smearage on the Series 8 logo is kind of a serendipitous touch - at least in my book.

Dino.

Thanks Dino. :D I must admit that the damaged/weathered look is beginning to grow on me.

--- Update ---

Today I temporarily moved the console outside to mark out the piece of hardboard for the base of the plinth.
IMG_20160528_1335082_rewind.jpg

This first photo reminded me of a few scenes from the early Pertwee era, where the Doctor would remove the console from the TARDIS in order to carry out repairs, so I decided to take a couple more photos of the console.
IMG_20160528_1335169_rewind.jpg
IMG_20160528_1335251_rewind.jpg

Throughout its exile in the garage, the Old Girl has received quite a bit of damage in places (the most notable being the demat lever handle in the first photo and the right-hand door lever in the third image.

The sonic charging port is also fairly damaged from the number of sonic screwdrivers being plugged in and out constantly (although to honest I'm surprised that it lasted this long, the tube is only held on with masking tape and a layer of paint.
IMG_20160528_1335448_rewind.jpg

However, I have plans to replace this with a new charger port inspired by Iron Man's arc reactor:
IMG_20160528_1716065_rewind.jpg

Last of all for today, I marked out the rough location of each of the window panes and began to paint on the windows.
IMG_20160528_1454164_rewind.jpg

galacticprobe

May 29, 2016, 05:26 am #67 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:26 am by galacticprobe
Well, 14th, if it makes you feel any better, your console looks to be in better shape than the original Brachacki did in her last story, "Inferno". She was in a sad state in that one, and it was equally sad to see her like that.

At least your repairs (at a glance) appear to be fairly easy ones, but then some photos can deceive, so do let me know if the repairs are more complex than what I'm thinking.

Good luck with the repairs, and with building the plinth. (I can't wait to see the design you've created for that.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

May 29, 2016, 03:15 pm #68 Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:57 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: galacticprobe on May 29, 2016, 05:26 am
Well, 14th, if it makes you feel any better, your console looks to be in better shape than the original Brachacki did in her last story, "Inferno". She was in a sad state in that one, and it was equally sad to see her like that.

At least your repairs (at a glance) appear to be fairly easy ones, but then some photos can deceive, so do let me know if the repairs are more complex than what I'm thinking.

Good luck with the repairs, and with building the plinth. (I can't wait to see the design you've created for that.)

Dino.

At the moment, the repairs I need to carry out are purely cosmetic (a bit of glue should be enough to fix the demat and door levers). In fact, the biggest job I need to do is to rebuild the sonic screwdriver charger. As for the plinth, there are a few more parts to cut out before we begin putting it together (photos soon ;))

The first job of the day was to paint the frames for my Pull to Open sign. I cut these out of 3mm thick hardboard yesterday afternoon, and my dad sanded the edges and adjusted the angles to allow the corners to meet at 90o.
IMG_20160529_1031125_rewind.jpg

After that I spent most of the day in the shed, adding the finishing touches to the left-hand door. For the lower left- and right-hand window panes I cut out two pieces of white paper.
IMG_20160529_0956544_rewind.jpg

I then stuck some pieces of thin acetate to the black window panes to make them look like glass. (I didn't have a big enough sheet of acetate to cover the entire window, just the black parts ::) :P)
IMG_20160529_1016306_rewind.jpg

Yesterday I cut out the window bars from thin corrugated cardboard and painted them with a thin coat of white paint. In person this gives a nice wood grain effect. This morning I fixed the bars to the windows using PVA glue.
IMG_20160529_1022334_rewind.jpg
IMG_20160529_1027409_rewind.jpg
IMG_20160529_1029546_rewind.jpg

Next week I'm going to pick up the hardware for the doors (ie. handles and hinges, and maybe a lock depending on the price), and after that I can finish the door frames and install the Police Box to the inside of the shed. If I work hard, I think I can have the console room finished in three weeks from now (fingers crossed 8) :))

galacticprobe

May 29, 2016, 10:00 pm #69 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:02 pm by galacticprobe
Those windows look great, 14th! (Your terminology is a little off, though. Those white cardboard bits you put in place are the "frame": the "sash" around the edges, and the muntons which are the cross pieces; the "panes" are actually the "glass" pieces).

Terminology aside, you're doing a magnificent job on the doors. I'm looking forward to seeing how your Phone Panel turns out.

Dino.

russellsuthern

Agreed.
Looks great!
Loving these cardboard builds.
Just shows what amazing results you can achieve from such a simple material.

Keep up the good work!

Russell

The14thDr

May 30, 2016, 05:01 pm #71 Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:02 pm by The14thDr
Thanks for the correction Dino, I've edited my last post to avoid any confusion (TBH I'm not sure why I called them window panes :P)
Last night I glued the frames to the door panel, so ill post some photos soon.

Thanks russelsuthern, hopefully it shouldn't be long until this particular project is complete. ;)

The14thDr

Yesterday I glued the frames onto my Pull To Open sign and attached the handle. Thanks to the scale of the doors, I was able to use a cupboard door handle for the sign.
IMG_20160604_1310430_rewind_kindlephoto-299771.jpg

Last week I glued the box for the telephone to the back of the left-hand door.
A quick mock-up of the doors in their rightful place:
IMG_20160604_1306013_rewind.jpg

sonicfez

Those doors look amazing!!! Although, they seem a little curved at the bottom?
Stay TARDIS fans, my friends. -Fez

nebula1253

What sonicfez said, plus...don't those doors look a bit too large?