Apr 26, 2024, 10:52 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The14thDr's TARDIS Console Room

Started by The14thDr, Oct 17, 2015, 09:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Mar 10, 2016, 04:29 pm #30 Last Edit: Mar 10, 2016, 05:06 pm by galacticprobe
Nice stickies, 14th! (I've got them all over the house and it's driving the wife insane! ;D) I made a few tracings of the graphics using that graphics program that created the St. John logos with, as well as the graphics that kiwidoc put on his 2005 console Demat Lever housing. I just stuck the stickies to a sheet of paper and ran it through my inkjet printer and hoped for the best. It worked, so I started putting stickies up. The wife slowly took them down as she found them (still hasn't found them all! ;D ;D ;D), but at least she let's me keep them on all of the computer monitor frames.

As for those on-line Gallifreyan translators, if you don't like the way your name came out, then maybe try these:

HelloSweetie.jpg
This one says "Hello, Sweetie"(can't remember where I found this one since I've looked at so many sites)...

EmergencyStop.jpg
...and this one from one of those on-line translators says "Emergency Stop: Pull Hand Brake!"

Hopefully you'll be able to make use of them. (I know where the "Emergency Stop..." one is going over here - on the car's dashboard! And I just know the wife will love that one! ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thank you Dino. ;D I think I might print the "Emergency Stop" as a replacement for the bottom symbol, and print the "Hello Sweetie" symbol onto a full-size sticky note for my console room's blackboard.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

Mar 14, 2016, 05:28 pm #32 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2016, 05:40 pm by The14thDr
Today I made a version of the TARDIS dedication plaque from the 2010 console. I printed out the graphic I made on Publisher and glued it onto a piece of hardboard.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here's a link to the graphics I made: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6617.0

The14thDr

Mar 15, 2016, 07:15 am #33 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2016, 07:16 am by The14thDr
Finished the scanner. I gave it a white undercoat and then three coats of silver paint.
I also glued on the first sticky note I made (still working on redoing the second symbol).
image.jpg
image.jpg

galacticprobe

Mar 16, 2016, 05:01 am #34 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2016, 05:01 am by galacticprobe
Looking good, 14th! (And it reminds me that I need to get my printer working again; my "TARDIS stickies" are losing their "stick", and I need to print out some new ones... and replace the ones the wife took down, but do a better job of hiding those! ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Mark

Looking very good indeed!

I appreciate it is probably a little too late, but it has only just occurred to me that if you were to put a low wattage bulb inside it could give a very respectable impression of that glow you get from a real one so to speak.

What part are you planning next?

galacticprobe

Mar 17, 2016, 05:11 am #36 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2016, 05:13 am by galacticprobe
Excellent idea, Mark, and maybe not too late either. 14th, when you build the attachment armature to mount this monitor to your console, you'll have the chance to cut a small hole in the back side of it, where the armature tube goes in, and then there are the cables (even if they're just for show), you'll need a few small holes in the back to insert the cables. So...

When it comes time for that, you can use Mark's idea, but rather than trying to wedge a low-wattage lamp inside (which could be a pain as those lamps aren't really all that small), you could use the smaller holes and some bright white fairy lights to backlight the monitor from the inside. Then your wiring won't be just for show; it will really light up the monitor, and the fairy lights won't put off any heat so your monitor will be bright and cool (or, cooler 8) than it already is ;D).

Dino.

The14thDr

Mar 17, 2016, 07:54 pm #37 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2016, 03:44 pm by The14thDr
Thanks, Dino. With regards to putting a bulb/LEDs inside the monitor, I don't think it would work. I painted the 'screen' onto a piece of corrugated cardboard, so the light wouldn't shine through properly. :-\ But thanks anyway for the suggestion, Mark (and you too, Dino). Maybe someone else who sees those posts will be inspired to try this on their own console?

Next up I'll be working on the second Police Box door for the console room (still waiting on the delivery of a couple of new components :()

The14thDr

Mar 18, 2016, 03:46 pm #38 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2016, 03:49 pm by The14thDr
I bought a new component for the console today! I was shopping at the local supermarket, and I found this cool garden thermometer. Very alien and TARDISey, don't you agree? ;)
image.jpg
image.jpg

I also bought some foam pipe insulation for the inside of the door frames in the shed (as a nod to the 2013+ TARDIS).
image.jpg

And last but not least my latest order of switches arrived today. I bought a pack of 100 tactile button switches (a few for the TARDIS, and a few for my other props).
image.jpg

galacticprobe

Mar 19, 2016, 05:35 am #39 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016, 05:35 am by galacticprobe
Thermometer: very TARDISy.

Pipe insulation: nothing needs to be said; it speaks for itself!

Tactile button switches: used on the 2005 console control on the metal mesh panel - the control that Tennant loved pommelling with the mallet. (I think he managed to knock most of those buttons off by the end of his run.) So those are very TARDISy. They're also the buttons used to activate the 9th Doctor's sonic screwdrivers, and the 10th Doctor's first sonic before he made the new one at the ending if "Smith and Jones". It was also used to operate the 11th Doctor's sonic (which carried over to the 12th Doctor until he decided to give it to Davros... makes one wonder if that gave Davros some ideas for how to build the Dalek casings so advanced that they were practically bulletproof).

Nice new incoming stock, 14th. Now I'm looking forward to seeing your modifications.

Dino.

The14thDr

Thanks Dino; I never realised those buttons were used on the Ninth/Tenth Doctors' TARDIS. Looks like I'll be off to the reference section to find a photo of that panel.
More updates soon. ;)

The14thDr

Mar 19, 2016, 06:46 pm #41 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016, 06:55 pm by The14thDr
A couple of weeks ago I started work on the second police box door. I cut out the main shape in 2 halves like I did with the other door, but so far I haven't cut out the panels.
image.jpg

I also printed out the pull to open sign. I had to print this over 2 sheets of paper and glue the halves together.
image.jpg

And finally for the door, I assembled the telephone cubby for behind the PTO sign.
image.jpg

For this and various other projects, I printed out a sheet of graphics and templates, some of which will be used throughout the console room.
image.jpg

And last of all for today, I made a start on the 'decorations' (or set dressing) of the console room; a HUGE well done and thank you to Dino for creating his graphics for the Encylopedia Gallifreya bottles. I printed the first two out and glued them to a pair of empty glass bottles.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

galacticprobe

Mar 20, 2016, 05:01 am #42 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2016, 05:02 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Mar 19, 2016, 11:23 am
Thanks Dino; I never realised those buttons were used on the Ninth/Tenth Doctors' TARDIS. Looks like I'll be off to the reference section to find a photo of that panel.

You're welcome, 14th. And I'll lend a hand with finding a nice image of that switchboard:
Switchboard.jpg
This is the one after Tennant had a little too much fun pounding on it with that mallet. Lots of the buttons are broken off, but taking a closer look at it, I might have been mistaken about those buttons being used on it, although there are a few that look like variations of those buttons; so since yours is a custom console, you could always customize that switchboard if you're planning to use one.

Dino.

The14thDr

Mar 20, 2016, 03:26 pm #43 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2016, 03:30 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 20, 2016, 05:01 am
You're welcome, 14th. And I'll lend a hand with finding a nice image of that switchboard:

Thanks for that, Dino. I wasn't sure which of the mesh panels you were referring to, but those push buttons look very similar to the ones I've got.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 20, 2016, 05:01 am
This is the one after Tennant had a little too much fun pounding on it with that mallet. Lots of the buttons are broken off, but taking a closer look at it, I might have been mistaken about those buttons being used on it, although there are a few that look like variations of those buttons; so since yours is a custom console, you could always customize that switchboard if you're planning to use one.

Dino.

Thanks for the photo, Dino. I have a graphic for that director's control board that kiwidoc emailed to me a while ago. I've been planning on refitting panel 3 (the one with the black coordinate dials and the 2 black and silver Hartnell levers), so I think I might base the new design on the 2005 console's mesh panel.
I think the buttons on the original director's panel were slightly bigger than the one I have, but I don't think it will be noticeable since I'll have the scale the graphic down to fit on the panel anyway.

And speaking of the Eccleston console, today I trimmed down the smaller sticky note that I printed yesterday and glued it to the bottom right of the monitor frame.
photo 3 (2).JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG

I also managed to bag another part for the console's new 2005-inspired "junk" panel. It's an old junction box that my dad bought about 15 years ago and never used, so he was throwing it out when I salvaged it for the TARDIS. ;)
photo 4 (2).JPG
photo 5 (2).JPG

More updates soon.

The14thDr

Mar 20, 2016, 04:53 pm #44 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2016, 05:01 pm by The14thDr
I had a spare hour this afternoon so I booted up good ol' Google SketchUp and started working on the roundel designs for my console room. These started out in my head as a more 2D version of the 2010 "flower pot" roundels, and now they've developed into an amalgamation of the 2005/2010/2015 roundels.
roundels.jpg

I decided that there wasn't enough colour in this design (the dark greys feel too much like the Master's TARDIS to me), so I added a gold ring to the inside of the 'hexel'.
roundels2.jpg

Measurements:

• Outer Hexel: 520mm (diameter)

• Inner Hexel: 420mm (diameter)

• Outer Circle: 300mm (diameter)

• Centre Circle: 220/240mm (diameter)

• Roundel Height: 30mm

I just need a little input/advice with the centre circle. I've got two diameters in mind and I'm not sure which one looks better. Thoughts?? ???

• 220mm Diameter

roundel_circle.jpg

• 240mm Diameter

roundel_cirlce_2.jpg

More updates soon.