Mar 29, 2024, 06:32 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The14thDr's TARDIS Console Room

Started by The14thDr, Oct 17, 2015, 09:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Hi 14th Dr...
Your TARDIS door looks lovely, but what I'm really impressed with is your console which looks amazing!
I'm quite jealous, especially as I don't have room for a console build & that was the only one left on my list to do (TARDIS, Dalek, Console.)
Oh, well, two out of three ain't bad as Meat Loaf said.
I love the way your console lights up, it looks really cool.
Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing the whole project finished!

Russell

galacticprobe

Nov 29, 2015, 08:56 am #16 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015, 08:56 am by galacticprobe
Everything is looking great, 14th! Those lights on the console look just fine (and sometimes the easy method really is a great one). And you're quite welcome on the St. John Ambulance logo! I'm always tickled when I see someone using one of the logos I created. It just makes me feel great knowing that people are getting pleasure from them.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

phillbarron

I think it looks brilliant! The lights work really well. I love your big lever too, I need to build something like that.

The14thDr

Feb 17, 2016, 04:15 pm #18 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2016, 05:21 pm by The14thDr
Thanks for the kind comments guys. ;D I haven't been on TARDIS Builders for a while (I've been working on some Star Wars-themed props over the past month or two), so this update is WAY overdue (by about 2 and a half months :P).
For Christmas I received a few new parts for the TARDIS console. The first was a pack of 10 rotary toggle switches. I installed six of these onto the coordinate dials on panel 3, and 2 more were installed onto the chicken-head knobs on panel 5. The final 2 will be kept as spares. All of the dials now make a satisfying click when you turn them. :)
IMG_20151227_1328030_rewind.jpg
IMG_20151227_1518001_rewind.jpg
IMG_20151227_1517547_rewind.jpg
In the above image to you can also see the 10 thumbwheel switches that I received as a birthday present back in November.

Another console part that I got for Christmas was 2 LED cork lights. I'll be placing one in the bottle in centre of the time rotor.
IMG_20151227_1527041_rewind.jpg
IMG_20151227_1527118_rewind.jpg

And here's a night-time shot of the console all lit up. :D
IMG_20151227_1524339_rewind_kindlephoto-183465.jpg
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

greggnowling

I love this.  Just absolutely love this.

galacticprobe

Feb 18, 2016, 05:44 am #20 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2016, 05:45 am by galacticprobe
I have to agree with Gregg! And to think that many parts of this are made from cardboard makes this console even more astounding! Great work, 14th! And it's nice to see you back. (I figured your classwork and studies were keeping you busy, but 'Star Wars' props? BLASPHEMY! ;D ;D ;D)

Okay... how about a little peek at one of those other props, just to showcase your talents?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Feb 18, 2016, 06:29 pm #21 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2016, 06:30 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: greggnowling on Feb 17, 2016, 04:46 pm
I love this.  Just absolutely love this.

Thanks. :) You're Hartnell console is looking great too.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 18, 2016, 05:44 am
I have to agree with Gregg! And to think that many parts of this are made from cardboard makes this console even more astounding! Great work, 14th!

Thanks Dino. :) I've still got a few more upgrades to do in the not-too-distant future, so more photos will be appearing soon.
And it's nice to see you back. (I figured your classwork and studies were keeping you busy, but 'Star Wars' props? BLASPHEMY! ;D ;D ;D)

You can blame the new movie for that! ;D ;D
Okay... how about a little peek at one of those other props, just to showcase your talents?

Dino.

I'll try to get some photos uploaded soon, but only one of the props looks anything like complete. ::)

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

The14thDr

Feb 27, 2016, 05:18 pm #22 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2016, 05:20 pm by The14thDr
As promised, here's a couple of photos of the Star Wars props I've been working on recently - an R4-P17 astromech droid and a Jedi communicator (or comlink).
image.jpg
image.jpg

On a more TARDIS-related note, today I made a start on the new scanner (based on the one from the 2005 console).
I made the basic shape using three cardboard nets, which I stuck together with masking tape.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I had hoped to cut out the remaining panels for the second TARDIS door, but the cardboard I've been stockpiling recently wasn't big enough, so it's back to square one on the door front.

galacticprobe

Feb 28, 2016, 05:51 am #23 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2016, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
Great progress on the 2005 scanner monitor! It should look the part nicely once the silver paint goes on. Also, nice work on that Droid head. (Great minds think alike. Way back in the late 1970s after the first 'Star Wars' film came out, I made a droid head exactly like that one - red dome with the white details - only I used the rounded end of the plastic egg the Leggs(R) pantyhose used to come in. I was planning to complete the Droid using a soup can that fit that part of the egg nicely, but my mother kept throwing out the cans. I still have the head, though.)

Nice work!

Dino.

The14thDr

Mar 05, 2016, 06:27 pm #24 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2016, 06:30 pm by The14thDr
I made more progress on the 2005 monitor today. I started by painting a rectangle of cereal box card. Then I used a pencil to lightly sketch out the details of the scanner's display. To complete the screen I used a silver pen to trace over the pencil lines.
image.jpg

To give a shiny, screen-like appearance I also trimmed down a plastic document wallet until it was the same size as the monitor. I then attached these to the inside of the monitor frame using double-sided sticky tape.
image.jpg
image.jpg

After finding a reference photo that showed the back of the monitor, I added a tapered rectangle to the back of the scanner and paper mached the whole thing.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mark

Loving your work. I'm a big fan of building stuff using cardboard and paper mache myself, and the stuff you have posted pictures of here just go to prove how great they can look.

Looking forward to the next installment.

galacticprobe

Mar 06, 2016, 04:29 pm #26 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2016, 04:30 pm by galacticprobe
Ditto! And I would imagine the next installment would (most likely?) by some silver paint on the monitor frame. (Or an I too far off course with that one? ;) :D)

Dino.

The14thDr

Mar 06, 2016, 04:41 pm #27 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2016, 04:54 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: Mark on Mar 05, 2016, 06:51 pm
Loving your work. I'm a big fan of building stuff using cardboard and paper mache myself, and the stuff you have posted pictures of here just go to prove how great they can look.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you. I prefer building things out of cardboard instead of wood and other materials because it means I can work on my projects all the time (even when the weather's too bad to go out into the garden and cut wood).

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 06, 2016, 04:29 pm
Ditto! And I would imagine the next installment would (most likely?) by some silver paint on the monitor frame. (Or an I too far off course with that one? ;) :D)

Dino.

Not quite, Dino. ;) I've still got to finish the paper mache and undercoat the monitor frame in white paint first. I've also scored a huge sheet of corrugated cardboard, so yesterday I made a start on the second Police Box door (photos coming soon).

I've also ordered some new components for the console, so stay tuned for future updates. ;D

The14thDr

Today I finished paper mache-ing the monitor, so all that's needed is a white undercoat and the silver paint.
On Sunday I ordered a couple of new components for the console, and the first to arrive this afternoon was the coordinate lock (a.k.a. A receptionist's desk bell! ;))
image.jpg

The14thDr

Today I made the sticky notes for the edges of the monitor. My scanner is about half the size of the 2005 scanner, so I made these about half the size of a standard sticky note (1.5x1.5").
image.jpg
I chose the design for the bottom symbol by typing my name into one of those "Gallifreyan translators" you can find online, but I'm not 100% happy with it so I may redo it in the future.