Mar 29, 2024, 01:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Twelfth Doctor's Electric Guitar & Amp

Started by The14thDr, Oct 13, 2015, 05:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Oct 13, 2015, 05:06 pm Last Edit: Oct 13, 2015, 05:06 pm by The14thDr
With this becoming a regular feature of the Twelfth Doctor's persona, I thought I'd start a reference thread for anyone interested in creating the electric guitar and amplifier from Series 9.

I haven't been able to find any good screenshots of either prop online, but I found this concept art for the amplifier on the BBC's Magician's Apprentice Production Artwork Gallery that gives a good view of the additional wires, etc.
image.jpg

At some point I'll try to rewatch the episodes in order to find some screenshots of the actual props.

PS. Do we have any resident musicians who could help with the identification of the make/brand/model of the guitar or amp?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

childofgallifrey

Hello, You called for the resident musician? what instruments can I play you ask? well, a few things well and everything badly!

in all seriousness, I think the model used was a Yamaha, but don't quote me on that ;D I think someone covered it on the RPF when the magicians apprentice aired, and got a bloody close match, if not perfect!

I'll do some digging!

P.S. I was playing the opening from "Pretty Woman" on the ukulele for WEEKS after that scene! ;P
Sad really, isn't it? People spend all their time making nice things, and other people come along and break them.~The 2nd Doctor

Elvis Gump

When I first saw the amp in "The Magician's Apprentice" I thought for a second it might be a Peavy amp, which is made here in Meridian, MS USA, but the more I tried to read the logo, the more it didn't really look like the famous Peavy logo. I did a Google Image Search to try and see if it looked like any guitar amp, but there have been like half a zillion of them made since rock and roll began, so that seemed hopeless too. I suspect it's a one-off prop, a Frankenstein made of bits and bobs of other amps. The Magpie logo finally visible in "Before the Flood" is a nice nod to 10's era.

Look forward to what you come up with. That guitar has a funky late 60s/early 70s vibe.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: childofgallifrey on Oct 13, 2015, 05:21 pm
Hello, You called for the resident musician? what instruments can I play you ask? well, a few things well and everything badly!

in all seriousness, I think the model used was a Yamaha, but don't quote me on that ;D I think someone covered it on the RPF when the magicians apprentice aired, and got a bloody close match, if not perfect!

I'll do some digging!

P.S. I was playing the opening from "Pretty Woman" on the ukulele for WEEKS after that scene! ;P

*cough* THE resident musician? ;)

Yes, this is me.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

The14thDr

Oct 13, 2015, 06:00 pm #4 Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015, 07:33 am by The14thDr
Thaks guys. I tried an Image search for any similar amps, but I encountered the exact same problem. I've also been checking recent interviews and articles from Series 9 to see if anybody mentioned a model for the guitar, but so far there have been no results.

I rewatched the first few minutes of Before the Flood, and I managed to get some good screenshots of the guitar and amp.
image.jpg
image.jpg

childofgallifrey

Oct 13, 2015, 06:10 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 21, 2015, 11:49 am by childofgallifrey
Found 'em!
Amp is a modded Fender Mustang 1 V2 with the logo removed and a Magpie plate put on the front.
Here's a pic
amp.jpg

As well as lots of greeblies added.

The guitar is a vintage Yamaha SGV-300 in black with chrome fittings and a pearl scratchplate.
EDIT: No, no it isn't, as pointed out by rob49152, it is an SGV-800, sorry, should've noticed.
Here:
DSC09743.jpg
This one is missing a tremolo arm, but that can be easily rectified if missing when bought second hand.
So yeah, that's the Doctor's new music side unraveled!

P.S. Rassilonsrod, sorry *A* resident musician!

Sad really, isn't it? People spend all their time making nice things, and other people come along and break them.~The 2nd Doctor

Senseidale

Oct 13, 2015, 07:10 pm #6 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2015, 07:12 pm by Senseidale
Got the Sonic sun Glasses got the Guitar,  I will defy play with the amp and Magpie it up. I got mine of the well know auction site if any one is interested there are still plenty on there to buy it now ect.
(da da da dar)  
Regards Dale  
IMG_1917.jpg
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

mr mcgoo

Nice find for the guitar. Was very interested in that. And i definitely agree that its a Mustang. Thought it may have been a blues junior, but that was just the silverface trying to tick me.

The14thDr

Oct 14, 2015, 06:27 am #8 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2015, 06:32 am by The14thDr
Wow!! :o Well done on identifying the guitar and amp, childofgallifrey (and in such a short space of time, too)!!!
I had a quick look online and most of the guitars were selling for £300+; well out of my price range (especially since I don't play the guitar and this would just end up sitting around in a corner of the room forever :P)

Maybe I could make a "prop" version of the guitar and amp using wood, etc?

PS. Regarding the sonic sunglasses, am I right in assuming that they're Ray-Ban's (ie. one of the most expensive brand of sunglasses on the market ;))
EDIT: Just found the exact brand online: Ray-Ban Wayfarer RB2140 

Senseidale

I would like to see a guitar prop made and and amp would be a good project especially if you don't play but you could always learn to play, I have been playing for yrs to a reasonable standard ( I thought  slash and the Edge all the know)
They are defo Ray Ban wayfarer as The 14thDr said very expensive even more when you have to have your own prescription put in adds another couple of hundred pounds so not a cheap prop.
happy days fellow fans.
Dale

childofgallifrey

Again, would cost quite a bit to buy the fixtures and fittings for the guitar, as well as the wood and strings. I've built electric guitars before, and it'll probably end up costing £150 +...
Possibly could be done in your favorite medium, 14th, Cardboard could be used, and strings are pretty cheap...

The14thDr

Oct 15, 2015, 04:15 pm #11 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2015, 02:05 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: childofgallifrey on Oct 14, 2015, 07:01 am
Possibly could be done in your favorite medium, 14th, Cardboard could be used, and strings are pretty cheap...

Good idea! ;D I think I saw a tutorial online showing you how to make a cardboard guitar...

Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Oct 15, 2015, 08:19 am
For any English Builders, they sell a very similar pair of glasses in Poundland, which is where I got mine from, but I'd say the stocks will be getting low with it coming up to Halloween and Christmas. But there are these on eBay.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNGLASSES-AVIATOR-WAYFARER-STYLISH-80-s-RETRO-GEEK-MENS-LADIES-BRAND-NEW-/181296913252?var=480316076466&hash=item2a36235b64

Hope this helps

BioDoctor900

Thanks for the information BioDoctor. :) I'll have a look in Poundland and if they haven't got any I'll buy the ones you linked.

Also, Senseidale, would you be willing to post the basic measurements of your guitar for anyone wanting to make a prop version? Just the length/width of the neck and the length/width of the main body (sorry, don't know the proper name of this part :p) would be enough to make a prop.

Senseidale

Oct 15, 2015, 06:45 pm #12 Last Edit: Oct 15, 2015, 06:58 pm by Senseidale
Hi 14th happy to if anyone want measurements and main body part is the Body  :)
Regards to all
Dale

The14thDr

Hey guys. I did a bit of searching online for the guitar amp and I managed to find the exact measurements, which are 400x368x193mm.

Senseidale

I have scanned a page in my manual with size ect
the overall length of the neck is 530mm + the head  215mm =745mm
RegardsYamaha svg 800.png