Apr 20, 2024, 02:46 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Handwritten GPO Book

Started by starcross, Oct 01, 2015, 10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

starcross

This is an auction find that was together with a set of handwritten books about GPO Telephone Systems. This particular book was numbered 13 and contained notes on the Police Telephone & Signal System. I believe that the other books were notes on the Exchange equipment that is most easily viewed at Avoncroft in Bromesgrove just south of Birmingham.

I figured the Historians here would be most interested in it so I have digitized the book and posted it to my Flickr account. Please feel free to give it a read and share your findings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/etas/albums/72157657025363973

Cheers,
~Starcross

galacticprobe

Oct 02, 2015, 07:00 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2015, 07:01 am by galacticprobe
Wow. From an electronics tech viewpoint, I'm amazed at how simple those circuits are. (Oh, the longing for the good old days - like when you didn't have all of that "emissions prevention" stuff under your car's bonnet, and you could actually work on your own engine because there was room for you to get your hands (and in some cases half of your body) into the engine compartment; instead, now, you have to have someone half way dismantle the front of your car just to change a spark plug!)

But I digress. Thanks for sharing that book with us, starcross! It was a great find!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

hb88banzai

Oct 02, 2015, 10:54 pm #2 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2015, 11:06 pm by hb88banzai
Brilliant!

This is a wonderful engineering snapshot of the then current provincial PA1/PA150 systems as they were in November 1938. A true shame we don't have this kind of detail for the various Met systems (though the PA150MP system installed and retrofitted into the outer Divisions beginning in 1935 had only a few differences).

Really love original material like this. You can even see where the drafter ran out of ink and had to re-dip the pen, and of course the corrections in red. Just brilliant. Thank you so much for posting these.

;D