Apr 12, 2021, 03:53 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Twelfth Doctor Costume

Started by The14thDr, Sep 19, 2015, 04:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Dec 11, 2015, 12:28 am #30 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2015, 12:29 am by galacticprobe
I don't know if this helps or not (or makes things easier to find), but I noticed in this image from elkad in his staser thread:
d14-13f-c321.jpg
the Doctor's shirt, in this episode, is not a French Cuff with that chain-link cufflink. It's a regular button-cuff shirt. That should make things a little easier for people trying to assemble a 12th Doctor costume, and are having trouble finding those odd cufflinks.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Aug 13, 2016, 04:47 pm #31 Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:31 pm by The14thDr
I've got the sonic sunglasses!! ;D 8)
The actual ones are Ray-Ban Wayfarer RB2100's, but these are just pair of screen-accurate sunglasses from Poundland (unfortunately the silver things fell out from either side of the lenses, but other than that these are spot-on ::))
2D3B954F-1BFC-4680-913B-1DD8C21E6966.jpeg

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Aug 14, 2016, 06:36 am #32 Last Edit: Aug 14, 2016, 06:36 am by galacticprobe
10thDoctor(Dont).jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Feb 22, 2018, 01:31 pm #33 Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:31 pm by The14thDr
My black crew-neck jumper was getting a little old and worn, so I decided to turn it into a more accurate “hole-y” jumper.
DA45FA51-972F-41F8-A25A-833E912EF0FD.jpeg
The holes were easy - I just repeatedly poked a pen through the fabric until I ended up with something reasonably similar to the Twelfth Doctor’s jumper.

I’m really not looking forward to stitching around all of the holes to stop them fraying (I’m open to literally any suggestions for ways I can avoid the stitching but still stop the holes from fraying in the wash ;D)

galacticprobe

Feb 22, 2018, 04:30 pm #34 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2018, 04:35 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Feb 22, 2018, 01:31 pm
(I'm open to literally any suggestions for ways I can avoid the stitching but still stop the holes from fraying in the wash ;D)

Well, I've heard some people say that clear nail polish works well to stop stocking from running. Maybe that would work on the jumper as well. It might also give the look of the holes being stitched. The model glue you get in the tube might also work like the nail polish, though I don't know how much it would spread or how stiff it would be.

Those are two possibilities to consider. (Of course, if you've got the money to spare, Magnoli Clothiers has a replica "Holey Jumper" for $350 US, which, from what I've heard, is less than half the cost of the original. Still pricy, though.)

Dino.

The14thDr

Feb 22, 2018, 04:57 pm #35 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2018, 05:00 pm by The14thDr
Those are some brilliant suggestions - thank you Dino! I had considered PVA glue, but that dissolved in water so it would come out every time the jumper is washed. I think I might have some model glue somewhere; if not I'm sure I'll be able to find some clear nail polish. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 22, 2018, 04:30 pm
(Of course, if you've got the money to spare, Magnoli Clothiers has a replica "Holey Jumper" for $350 US, which, from what I've heard, is less than half the cost of the original. Still pricy, though.)

Oh, if only! ;D Magnoli's clothes look absolutely stunning, but unfortunately they're way out of my budget. I remember reading about someone who found an original Paul Smith holes jumper at a car boot for a crazy-low price like £5; why can't I ever get that lucky?! ::) ;D

Davros Skaro

Feb 22, 2018, 10:17 pm #36 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2018, 10:28 pm by Davros Skaro
Depending on what it's made of, you could melt/burn the edges of the holes! I was doing some arc welding & the sparks burnt holes in my track pants, they don't fray at all.

Just a thought.
Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Feb 23, 2018, 04:15 am #37 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2018, 04:17 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Davros Skaro on Feb 22, 2018, 10:17 pm
Depending on what it's made of, you could melt/burn the edges of the holes!

Great idea, Chris! A soldering iron would be perfect for a job like that as the point is controllable just like using a pencil. The outcome could go one of two ways, however:

- If the material is acrylic (or anything synthetic), then a soldering iron would melt the edges and "cauterize" the holes so they wouldn't fray; the edges would be stiff like they would be using that tube model glue, but they wouldn't fray and from normal viewing distances would look like the edges were sewn;

- If the material is cotton or wool, then a soldering iron would just burn the edges and make the holes larger. (I've never known anything made from natural fibers to melt and "weld" at the ends; it only smolders and turns black and crusty, and then breaks away when something brushes against the crusty bits.)

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dino.

The14thDr

May 20, 2018, 04:07 pm #38 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018, 10:11 am by The14thDr
Partially inspired by russellsuthern’s Fourth Doctor and Volpone’s First Doctor, I decided to crack on with my own costume build!

For the benefit of future Twelfth Doctor cosplayers here are some alternatives to hand-sewing the holes, taken from the comments above.
I’m going to quote parts from the above comments in the hopes that they’ll be of use to future Twelfth Doctor cosplayers:
Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 22, 2018, 04:30 pm
Well, I've heard some people say that clear nail polish works well to stop stocking from running. Maybe that would work on the jumper as well. It might also give the look of the holes being stitched. The model glue you get in the tube might also work like the nail polish, though I don't know how much it would spread or how stiff it would be.

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Feb 22, 2018, 10:17 pm
Depending on what [the jumper] is made of, you could melt/burn the edges of the holes!

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 23, 2018, 04:15 am
Great idea, Chris! A soldering iron would be perfect for a job like that as the point is controllable just like using a pencil. The outcome could go one of two ways, however:

- If the material is acrylic (or anything synthetic), then a soldering iron would melt the edges and "cauterize" the holes so they wouldn't fray; the edges would be stiff like they would be using that tube model glue, but they wouldn't fray and from normal viewing distances would look like the edges were sewn;

- If the material is cotton or wool, then a soldering iron would just burn the edges and make the holes larger. (I've never known anything made from natural fibers to melt and "weld" at the ends; it only smolders and turns black and crusty, and then breaks away when something brushes against the crusty bits.)

I have adopted a philosophy that that could be applied to any aspect of life, but prop/costume building in particular: ”If something is worth doing, it’s worth taking the the time to do it properly!”

While Davros Skaro’s and Dino’s suggestions are absolutely brilliant, I knew the only way I could be 100% happy with this is if I put maximum time and effort into it. So I decided to bite the bullet and sew around the edges of the 34 holes - by hand!

I actually started this a while ago, doing only a few holes at a time to preserve my sanity. One YouTube tutorial, three weeks, half a spool of thread and more than a few lost brain cells later, here is the result!
7172FDF0-3DB8-4CFB-AD6C-E0BDE36C7483.jpeg

As you can see, the stitches really expanded the holes to allow more of the t-shirt to show through from underneath.

I’ll be the first to admit that the finished piece is by no means perfect, but then again I think the whole point in this jumper was that the Doctor has been on the wrong side of one too many angry aliens - so the more ragged, the better!

I also bought a plain white t-shirt to wear underneath the jumper for less than £2 - now to begin working on some variants! Stay tuned. ;)

russellsuthern

:D I've always wanted to be an inspiration....

You really sewed around each one of those holes individually?! :o

Wow!
I take my hat off to you.
There's no way I'd have that level of patience...

I always start a build with good intentions, but "Get it right" always slowly descends into "get it done!"

Looking forward to seeing more...

Russ

The14thDr

To be totally honest with you I'm not entirely sure where I found the patience myself! I suppose the real test will be running it through the washing machine and seeing how well it fares.

The next update is ready and waiting, I've just been restructuring the build diary slightly so that each post has its own individual focus (similar to your own thread in fact - that's twice you've inspired me now! ;D)

galacticprobe

May 21, 2018, 12:17 am #41 Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:17 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: russellsuthern on May 20, 2018, 05:13 pm
You really sewed around each one of those holes individually?! :o

Wow!
I take my hat off to you.
There's no way I'd have that level of patience...

Ditto on that! I'd have tried talking my wife into using The Evil One's sewing machine and using the buttonhole stitch setting. But when you think about it, even that would take a good amount of patience... going round each hole. Having 34 holes is enough, but when you think about how many holes were in the actual jumper - going round the back, and down the sleeves - even using a sewing machine would drive anyone mad sewing around all of those holes!

Your jumper looks just fine. Brilliant! (I keep saying I'm going to try doing that, but I can never find the right jumper... and the 12th Doctor's coats are very expensive! Abbyshot has just come out with the black velvet coat with blue liner: $650 US! Ouch!)

Anyway I'm not tall enough for a 12; I'm just tall enough for a 2. ;)

Dino.