Apr 20, 2024, 09:15 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Twelfth Doctor Costume

Started by The14thDr, Sep 19, 2015, 04:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Sep 19, 2015, 04:54 pm Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:25 pm by The14thDr
With Series 9 upon us I've decided to embark on yet another Twelfth Doctor project, this time a costume rather than a prop.

At the moment, there are two major variants as far as the Capaldi costume is concerned: the "magician” outfit (used throughout most of Series Eight), and the various hoodie versions. My favourite Twelfth Doctor looks are his more casual ones, particularly the one from Last Christmas:
image.jpg
(Credit: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/12/last-christmas-new-pictures.html?m=1)

I thought it would be fun to create my own spin on the costume using this as an inspiration. All the basic elements are there, but I tweaked it to to fit my own skills and budget.
image.jpg

So far, I have the blue shirt, grey hoodie and trousers that I'll be using for this build; all that remains is the black (edit; navy blue) coat.
More updates soon. Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Sep 20, 2015, 04:54 am #1 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2015, 04:55 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Sep 19, 2015, 04:54 pm
...I've decided to embark on yet another Twelfth Doctor project, this time a costume rather than a prop.

One thing to remember (which I think I've mentioned in other such threads), a costume is a prop that's made out of fabric.

Quote from: The14thDr on Sep 19, 2015, 04:54 pm
I already own the blue shirt, grey hoodie and trousers that I'll be using for this build, so all I need is the custom black hoodie.

I've looked at the larger image from your link, and that hoodie looks like your average, zip-front black hoodie that you would pick up off the peg at a Walmart-type of store. The tricky one is that jumper with the holes in it, and a crew neck that doesn't have the thick neck "collar" on it. If you can figure out how to make one of those without having the jumper unravel when you cut the neck off and punch the holes in the front, please let us know! (I kind of like that holey jumper.)

Good luck with the costume!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Sep 20, 2015, 10:10 am #2 Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:48 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 20, 2015, 04:54 am
One thing to remember (which I think I've mentioned in other such threads), a costume is a prop that's made out of fabric.

That's a good point Dino. I think a lot of people (myself included) tend to associate the word "props" with only a gadget or object, but now that you mention it, a costume is a prop.

I've looked at the larger image from your link, and that hoodie looks like your average, zip-front black hoodie that you would pick up off the peg at a Walmart-type of store.

Thanks for the information! Time to pay a visit to my supermarket's clothing aisles. (That should save me some money on my budget). :)

The tricky one is that jumper with the holes in it, and a crew neck that doesn't have the thick neck "collar" on it. If you can figure out how to make one of those without having the jumper unravel when you cut the neck off and punch the holes in the front, please let us know! (I kind of like that holey jumper.)

Good luck with the costume!

Dino.

I have no idea how I'm going to create the holey jumper. At the moment I'm using a black, long sleeved t-shirt as a temporary stand-in.

I think BioDoctor900 created his own version of the jumper over on his 2Dis thread, I’ll have to check it out.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

Senseidale

Sep 20, 2015, 02:33 pm #3 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2015, 02:34 pm by Senseidale
When watching the 12th I thought the jumper had flecks sown in the design not holes, if they are holes he must have a white tee shirt under the jumper or it might be apart of the jumper,  I may need new glasses,  I will go and look /watch more closely 8)
I will admit i like his look.

Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

galacticprobe

Sep 20, 2015, 10:08 pm #4 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2015, 10:16 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Senseidale on Sep 20, 2015, 02:33 pm
When watching the 12th I thought the jumper had flecks sown in the design not holes,

Ditto, Dale. I thought they were those little crystals you get in craft stores to "bling" something like a notebook cover or such, and that they were fabric-glued to the jumper, or attached in some such way (since fabric glue doesn't come off in the wash - unless you use really hot water!).

if they are holes he must have a white tee shirt under the jumper or it might be apart of the jumper,

Again I thought the same thing when I heard (or read) someone's comments that it was a jumper with holes in it. If they are holes, then they were made uniformly because they're all about the same size. So I thought there was a white undershirt beneath that (a vest in UK terms), or it was one of those jumpers that had a white cotton-like lining to it (since you never see the neck of a vest/undershirt sticking out above the jumper's collar).

I may need new glasses,

I know I do! I got the call from my optometrist (last January!) saying I was due for a new "stanky old wizzard eyes" exam. So these wizzard eyes of mine are getting stankier as time goes on.

I will go and look /watch more closely 8)
I will admit i like his look.

The look is growing on me, specifically the jumper look (still not a fan of the buttoned-collar-shirt-with-no-tie look, although I do like the color of the purple shirt he wears at times). But I definitely think the "blingged" jumper would be easier to make than the "holey" one - the unravelling thing I mentioned. But there is still the lack of a neck collar on that jumper. I have yet to see a jumper like that in any store, and while it may be possible to remove the collar of a jumper without having the jumper unravel, it would still leave you with a larger-than-normal neck opening.

I'll have to look at BioDoc's 2Dis thread to see what he did.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Senseidale

Hi all I have been doing a little digging and from what i can find out is the Jumper is by  Paul Smith I did have a look at his web site but no Jumper of that style now, thats not to say its not out there someplace.
As to the buttoned up shirt and waistcoat I was out and about in that style the 80,s ok I still go out and about in that style but not all the time.
Dale

galacticprobe

Sep 21, 2015, 07:54 pm #6 Last Edit: Sep 21, 2015, 08:08 pm by galacticprobe
I took another look at that jumper in the large high-res image from that link and I found this:
12thJumperNeck.jpg
That jumper does actually have a "collar" on the neck! Well, at least in places. The grey arrows are pointing to the jumper's collar. (Since that neckline looked odd to me I lightened the image a bit, and now you could see the ribbing on the collar.)

The blue arrows are pointing to places where the collar has been cut away - probably stitched at the cuts to keep them from unravelling. The yellow arrows point to the area that has no "collar" (the cut-away area - ignore the tangerine), and my guess is that bit of neckline is also stitched to prevent unravelling... buttonhole stitching? (See "the hole" below.) Now to figure out how to do that...

Also, the hole in this (cropped) image looks like it's just that: a hole. And it may just be my stanky old wizzard eyes, but it looks to me like it has some "buttonhole" type stitching around it to prevent the hole from unravelling. The other holes in the jumper look pretty much like this one, though they do vary in size. (Again, how to do that...) There is a piece of another hole just visible below the right grey arrow, and the other holes across the front of the jumper look randomly placed. Whether or not they're all over the jumper, or just on the front, remains unknown (unless we get a scene showing the Doctor with this jumper and no jacket or hoodie or cardigan on - or someone knows someone in the costume department and can ask them).

Anyway, it looks like any black crew-neck jumper could be modified to look like this one, so you don't have to go on the hunt for what would be a really expensive name-brand jumper. (If this is a Paul Smith jumper, and if it's like most of the other Paul Smith items that I've seen, the jumper is going to be in the hundreds... and I'm talking GBP, so you could only imagine how that would translate when it come to the US dollar!)

I hope this helps solve some mystery about this jumper.

Dino.

childofgallifrey

There was not that much mystery in the first place! It is called the Paul Smith "holes" jumper, and it cost £310.00... you are right, the collar has been cut away, and so have the sleeve cuffs, so it looks like he's wearing finger-less gloves. I actually made myself one of these for London Comic-con in October (I'm going as Capaldi from "The Caretaker") I'll post pics at the weekend.
Sad really, isn't it? People spend all their time making nice things, and other people come along and break them.~The 2nd Doctor

galacticprobe

Sep 22, 2015, 05:49 am #8 Last Edit: Sep 22, 2015, 05:49 am by galacticprobe
Would you also consider posting a tutorial on how you made your "Holes" jumper? Because that would be great!

I look forward to seeing your photos!

Dino.

childofgallifrey

K, I'll see If I can find those pics I took, I was also gonna post them on the RPF!
Sad really, isn't it? People spend all their time making nice things, and other people come along and break them.~The 2nd Doctor

Senseidale

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 22, 2015, 05:49 am
Would you also consider posting a tutorial on how you made your "Holes" jumper? Because that would be great!

I look forward to seeing your photos!

Dino.

Me to
regards
Dale

galacticprobe

Sep 23, 2015, 05:21 am #11 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2015, 06:06 am by galacticprobe
Well, while poking around for more info on the Paul Smith "Holes" Jumper I found this in the RPF:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=231456.

The pics are thumbnails so click on them to get larger images. This guy was lucky enough to get an actual PS "Holes" Jumper and he gives a great review of it. I short:
-the cut-away neck - and sleeve cuffs and bottom are indeed stitched to prevent unravelling;
-the holes do go all the way round the jumper's torso and are on the sleeves as well (just not as many holes there), and as I surmised are also "buttonhole-type" stitched to prevent unravelling;
-the holes go right through the jumper; there is no white lining to it, so either Capaldi is wearing a sleeveless vest (tank top-type undershirt, or "muscle shirt" - a.k.a. "Jake LaMotta Wife-beater" shirt - for we US folks), or he not wearing anything and what we see through those holes is, well, his skin.

The sleeve cuffs are cut away much like the neck in that only part of the cuff is cut away, which gives that "fingerless glove" look. Here are a couple of random images I found on the net with some decent detail:
HolesJumper01.jpg
First, a look at the cuffs, and the cut off "hem" at the bottom. You can see how the sleeves look a tad on the long side, which is why the partly-cut cuff gives that "fingerless glove" look. You can also see some of the holes (lower left in the pic), and they go straight through the jumper, so there is no backing/lining to it. So like I guessed above, either Capaldi is wearing one on of those "muscle shirts" under his, or we're seeing his skin through the holes.

HolesJumper02.jpg
And here's one of the jumpers on a mannequin, where you can see the holes along the sleeve, and that cut-away collar, and missing hem trim around the bottom.

Now, that's a frackload of holes to put into a jumper, and then have to buttonhole stitch. The collar, cuffs, and bottom hem trim should be easier to create, but all those holes! But this just goes to show that anyone can turn an ordinary Target Merino black cotton crew neck jumper/sweater (on average $20 US, or £13.03 - current exchange rate as of this post) into one of these if you've got the patience to do the work. The only other alternative is spending upwards of, or in excess of £300.00 ($460.50 US) for the actual item... if you can find one.

Also, as with the Series 8 Psychic Paper Wallet, several different sites have said that the original jumper Capaldi wore was his own, which could explain the shortage of their availability because according to the BBC Costume Designer, they like to have several of the same items on hand, so they probably dashed out and bought up every PS "Holes" Jumper they could find!

Of course, one doesn't necessarily need to put that many holes in the jumper all at once; it could be taken in stages, especially since we have yet to see the sleeves or the back on screen (Doc without a coat - like the 9th very briefly was in "Father's Day"). Taking the creation of the holes in stages would both make the task easier, and help avoid going mad. But let's face it: the whole reason that we're discussing things like this, and building all of the breathtaking replicas that we do, is because, well, basically...
Madness.jpg

Anyway, I hope this helps give people a little more idea as to what they're up against if they plan on making their own "Holes" version from an inexpensive crew neck jumper.

Dino.

childofgallifrey

I didn't actually stitch it... the holes will probably fray and unravel over wear, so I might do a rough stitch or two...

The14thDr

Wow! Who knew a jumper could create such an interesting discussion. Even if the original Paul Smith jumper was still available, I doubt I could afford to spend £310 on a costume piece. :P
Nonetheless, the information everyone has posted will come in handy when I come to recreating the jumper myself.

Dino: Thank you for posting that RPF link. If I have time I'll check that out soon.
childofgallifrey: I too would be interested in seeing some photos of your jumper.

And thanks of course to everyone else who has provided input on this piece. Maybe we should create a reference thread, as I'm sure a lot of members might be interested in how the BBC made this costume?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

Senseidale

Had a thought some kind lady or gent Who can knit jumpers just might be able to knit one for anyone who would like one, at the fraction of the cost and call it a Granny Smith or Pappy Smith hole jumper.
happy days all
Dale