Apr 18, 2024, 09:17 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Face Of Evil Tesh gun

Started by elkad, Sep 02, 2015, 05:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Mar 16, 2016, 05:35 am #45 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2016, 05:35 am by galacticprobe
Outstanding job on the progress, elkad! This is starting to look like you've lifted one of the actual props. As for the cut on the armrest, looking back at the reference images where Leela is holding and setting down the gun, I would say a very slight taper - not as drastic as you've drawn it, but it doesn't look like a straight piece either. Personally (and others, feel free to disagree, especially if you've got better reference images), I would say meet your angle cut half way between what you've drawn and the straight one. That should give you the slight angle that it appears to have (which also makes one ask 'Is that straight on the sides, or is there somewhat of an angle?').

I hope my rambles are helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Looking splendid!

Only critique is that the wood texture can be seen still BUT there's no harm in that, especially if its only certain light that will show that.
I wonder if just a few more layers of whatever paint will get that looking consistent and less woody.

Regards
David

elkad

Quote from: davidnagel on Mar 16, 2016, 11:59 am
Looking splendid!

Only critique is that the wood texture can be seen still BUT there's no harm in that, especially if its only certain light that will show that.
I wonder if just a few more layers of whatever paint will get that looking consistent and less woody.

You know any technique to keep wood from bleeding threw wood? Or is there a filler, sealer, primer, whatever the stuff is called to seal the wood pores to keep the paint from bleeding?

elkad

Mar 17, 2016, 05:04 pm #48 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2016, 05:24 pm by elkad
I sand down the back of the stock with my dremel to start curve in the wood, then I used two pieces of different grit sandpaper & stuck them to a PVC pipe with double stick tape, to make the stock flush with the round PVC arm rest.
Tesh Gun 038.JPG

I stenciled out the back of the stock on to a poster board, along with the peg holes & stock angels. I taped the poster board onto the 4" pipe & marked the outline of the stencil & the peg holes & stock angels.
Tesh Gun 039.JPGTesh Gun 040.JPG

I made two arm rests to see what looks better, using the camera I can mach up the on in the screencap.

The first one, measured from the poster board stencil, is 3 7/8" at the top, 2 3/4" at the bottom & 3 5/8" tall.
Tesh Gun 041.JPGTesh Gun 042.JPG

The second is measured 4" wide by 3 5/8" tall.
Tesh Gun 043.JPGTesh Gun 044.JPG

I think the second is the closeest to the prop, what do you think?

davidnagel

Quote from: elkad on Mar 17, 2016, 04:45 pm

You know any technique to keep wood from bleeding threw wood? Or is there a filler, sealer, primer, whatever the stuff is called to seal the wood pores to keep the paint from bleeding?

Only thing I can think of is to paint the wood, let it dry, sand it back, paint again, hopefully then the wood texture would be less prominent.
Regards
David

elkad

Mar 23, 2016, 12:00 am #50 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016, 12:17 am by elkad
I wood glued the flat armrest & glued a wood slip on top of the dowels. The same can be seen in the screencap were Lela is picking up her gun, laying against the wall.
Tesh Gun 045.JPGTesh Gun 046.JPG

I made the block that go's in front of the gun handle, painted it, put wood glue on the handle & slipped it on.
Tesh Gun 047.JPGTesh Gun 048.JPG

Tesh Gun 049.JPGTesh Gun 050.JPGTesh Gun 051.JPG

A first I think I'm finished, but when I put the gun arm reset up to my shoulder, I find the stock is to long & have to stretch out to hold it. So, I'm going to cut the stock in the middle & dremel it out like a couple puzzle pieces to shorten it. Once Im done with that, it will be video time with my bro. ;D
Tesh Gun 052.JPG

galacticprobe

Mar 23, 2016, 05:19 am #51 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016, 05:19 am by galacticprobe
Hey, elkad, even with the stock being a little too long this gun still looks very cool, and just like the original. In fact, when looking back at some of the reference images you used for this, that stock really doesn't look that far off the mark. I think you've done a bang-up job on this one!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Looks good!

I trust you'll be getting your Leela cosplay and giving us some video action with the gun?
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2016, 03:54 am #53 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 03:54 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: davidnagel on Mar 23, 2016, 01:22 pm
I trust you'll be getting your Leela cosplay and giving us some video action with the gun?

There are just some things you can't unsee once your mind imagines them. :P

Dino.

davidnagel

Way too late, but I found another picture of the gun on display at the same event Steve way to way back, here tis: https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulodykes/11020112726/in/album-72157637989658523/ nice quality too.
Regards
David

Davros Skaro

Hi! We (wife & I) watched this episode last night & I seen some interesting views of the Tesh gun, so went back over it today & got some interesting screen shots. But I was wondering whether to put them up here, or if there is a reference post that I should put them on?

thanks guys,

Chris.
Chris.

Volpone

I've just got to say that every time this thread shows up, I picture an M1911 with a laser engraved portrait of John Tesh with a goatee on the grips. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Nov 14, 2016, 05:41 am #57 Last Edit: Nov 14, 2016, 06:24 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: davros skaro on Nov 14, 2016, 03:54 am
Hi! We (wife & I) watched this episode last night & I seen some interesting views of the Tesh gun, so went back over it today & got some interesting screen shots. But I was wondering whether to put them up here, or if there is a reference post that I should put them on?

Chris, I would post them in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=28.0 Section. In fact, since there wasn't a topic for that gun already I went ahead and started a new topic for it (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7158.msg90214#msg90214). so you should post your reference images in there. and post as many as you were (or are) able to get. (I've got one large image I've been meaning to post, but I haven't gotten round to it yet. So I really need to get off of my lazy bum and post my image!)

Quote from: volpone on Nov 14, 2016, 05:09 am
I've just got to say that every time this thread shows up, I picture an M1911 with a laser engraved portrait of John Tesh with a goatee on the grips.

You've got one twisted mind, Other Steve: one twisted mind, indeed! ;D

Dino.

elkad