New, New TardisBuilders!

Face Of Evil Tesh gun

Started by elkad, Sep 02, 2015, 05:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Mar 01, 2016, 06:25 am #30 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2016, 06:31 am by galacticprobe
Elkad, this little cutie...
U-BoltClamp.jpg
...goes by several variations of the name U-Bolt, U-Bolt Cable Clamp, U-Clamp, etc. They come in various sizes as well as shapes. A Google search will get you close, especially if you search Google Images. Once you find a place that sells them, drop by to look at them in person if you can. You should be able to find them at home improvement stores as they're used for both fencing, electrical cabling, and guy wiring supports. Looking in person will help you get the correct size.

As for the sound? I don't suppose the Special Features on the "Face of Evil" DVD has a section where that sound plays - like during the photo slide show - where you could rip the sound from, does it? (I don't know; it's one of the DVDs I'm lacking.) Also, you just might be able to find a sound clip on YouTube if you search there. Then use one of the free on-line audio converters to convert the YouTube clip to a WAV or MP3 sound file. From there you should be able to clean up any background noise better than trying to do it from a recording from the episode.

I hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Sorry, but nether of the sites you given, the sound effect I'm looking for is unavailable.  :(

galacticprobe

Mar 03, 2016, 04:43 am #33 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2016, 04:43 am by galacticprobe
Elkad, I've managed to find a clean sound of the Tesh gun. Give me a bit to extract it from the other sound FX that it's in with. I'll PM you with my e-mail once I've got it all by itself. Then you can send me an e-mail and I'll reply and attach the sound file. Sound good? (Pardon that pun. :P)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 03, 2016, 04:43 am
Elkad, I've managed to find a clean sound of the Tesh gun. Give me a bit to extract it from the other sound FX that it's in with. I'll PM you with my e-mail once I've got it all by itself. Then you can send me an e-mail and I'll reply and attach the sound file. Sound good? (Pardon that pun. :P)

Dino.

Sounds grate.  ;D

Just so I get things strate. You e-mail me, then I e-mail you, & you reply with the sound file attachment?

galacticprobe

Mar 04, 2016, 06:31 am #35 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2016, 06:33 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: elkad on Mar 04, 2016, 03:54 am
Sounds grate.  ;D

Just so I get things strate. You e-mail me, then I e-mail you, & you reply with the sound file attachment?

Actually: I send you a PM with my e-mail; you e-mail me so I can get your e-mail address; then I reply with the file attachment. That is, unless you've got your e-mail visible in your profile. If you do, then I can just get your address from your profile and e-mail you directly with the file attached. Whichever you prefer. I'm here to help so just let me know. :)

Dino.

elkad

Yea, my e-mail is on my profile.

galacticprobe

Mar 05, 2016, 06:23 am #37 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2016, 06:23 am by galacticprobe
Great! Once I've got the Tesh gun sound separated from the others, I'll get your e-mail and send you the file. I'll PM you when I send it so you can keep an eye out for it... just in case it ends up in your Spam folder. (I've got an odd e-mail address and to some systems it looks like a spam; it's in my profile so you can see it there.)

I hope to have it ready for you sometime on Saturday. It will be in WAV format so you can play with a sound editor and adjust things as you want... extend it... make it slower towards the end so it sounds like the gun is running out of power like it did in the show, etc.

Dino.

elkad

I just got the sound fx. Sounds grate to me, little scratchy in the background, that can be fixed. Were did you get the sound, or what point in the story did you find it?

galacticprobe

Mar 08, 2016, 03:48 pm #39 Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016, 03:59 pm by galacticprobe
I had to do a lot of poking around to find it. (This is another DVD I'm missing from my collection. I might have to go on a 'Who' DVD shopping spree with my tax returns this year!)

I was to so many web sites, all trying to sell the (vinyl) album with the sound FX on it. It took me a while to find the site again, but the file with the Tesh Gun on it is here: http://www.unpleasant.org/wp-content/uploads/unpleasant/2008/02/drwho-tardisetc.mp3. (The parent directory for it is here: http://www.unpleasant.org/wp-content/uploads/unpleasant/2008/02/.)

The Tech Gun sound is at about 00:50 into it, and it fades out with the last "blast" of it. So what I ended up doing was downloading the MP3 file and converting it to a WAV so I had the capability of editing it. Once I had the WAV, I deleted everything before the Tesh Gun, and then everything after it, including the "last" blast of the gun (to eliminate the sound fading away, thereby giving the Gun sound a steady volume from start to end).

The sound was very faint, so I increased the volume (by 25 percent - the only choice with my sound editor). It made it a little easier to hear it, but it was still on the quiet side. So I increased the volume by 25 percent again. The sound was getting better in as much as not having to crank up the computer's speakers to hear it, but this is when I noticed that scratchiness you mentioned, so I didn't increase the volume any further. I was hoping that you had a better sound editor than I did, and would be able to clean it up, and maybe even make it louder.

I hope this helps.

Dino.

elkad

I did a little editing to the sound.  ;D

Thank you galacticprobe / Dino for the sound.

elkad

Mar 08, 2016, 09:22 pm #41 Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016, 09:24 pm by elkad
Anyone have any ideas on how to cut the gun barrel sleve?

Tesh Gun cut.jpg

First I thought use my dremel but going around the curves, it wouldn't be striate. Then I thought, use my drill press & use a 1 3/4" bit on a 2" PVC pipe to make the rounded part then use my jigsaw to make the striate line to the end of the barrel sleeve. But how do I position & hold the PVC pipe to cut it.

galacticprobe

Mar 09, 2016, 05:59 am #42 Last Edit: Mar 09, 2016, 05:59 am by galacticprobe
Elkad, you're welcome on the sound, and you've done a smashing job of cleaning it up and making it much louder (and I love that out-of-power fade you've added!). Brilliant!

As for cutting the outer barrel sleeve, for such an intricate cut I would suggest either a small band saw with a very thin blade, or a scroll saw that's large enough to handle the diameter of the tube. Scroll saws are great for cutting curves like that, and tighter ones as well. If you could find one that can handle the size of the tube, all you'd need to do is draw your cut line on one side so you can follow it easily, and then push the tube through the scroll saw.

If you're worried about holding the tube steady, cut out a square "U" from a piece of scrap ply or such and set the tube in the U's notch. That should keep the tube from rolling and also hold it square to the saw blade. Then as you cut down the tube towards the curved part, just turn the "U jig" along with the tube and you should get a decent cut. (And if you've got access to a drill press with a drum sander you can smooth out the cut the same way.)

Someone else may have a better idea, but I hope this one makes sense, and helps a little.

Dino.

elkad

Mar 15, 2016, 06:16 pm #43 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2016, 06:36 pm by elkad
I use a piece of scrap poster board from my diagram, wrapped it around the 2" PVC tube, taped it down, slipped off the poster board tube, cut out the shape of the gun sleeve. I slipped the cut out back on the PVC, marked the outline of the paper tube, then cut, sand & paint. I use a wire hanger, spraying outside. ( I love clear days, clear day = Painting Time, whoo, those fumes are making me feel funny, Ooo look at the Daleks flying overhead.)
Tesh Gun 026.JPGTesh Gun 027.JPG

WARNING: I used my drimel & allot of PVC dust was in the air,..& on the floor, table, me. WERE MASK & GOGGELS! PVC DUST IS HAZERDIS TO YOUR HELTH!

I have asma, so, wearing a painters mask & safety goggles is top priority.

I drilled a hole into the sheath plug & into the gun body. At first it looked all right, but when I drilled the holes for the wood pegs, it was off center & had to drimel the holes till it was correct. (My drill press is a stand, you have to lock down a drill in some what alignment).
Tesh Gun 028.JPGTesh Gun 029.JPGTesh Gun 030.JPGTesh Gun 031.JPGTesh Gun 032.JPG

For the gun sleeve, I cut out a piece of door screen mesh, painted it silver, glued (Elmer's glue), it on a black square of paper, rolled up another piece of paper & put the silver mesh in the tube so the silver mesh & black paper wood dry in a round shape. Once that was dry, I glued the mesh to the inside of the barrel sleeve.
Tesh Gun 033.JPGTesh Gun 034.JPGTesh Gun 035.JPG

The barrel, easy, spray paint silver, including the inside of the front of the barrel, cut a length of screen mesh, tape one side to the barrel, rap around the barrel then tape the other side at the same point, & add a couple drops of supper glue to keep the mesh from unraveling.
Tesh Gun 036.JPG

All I need to do now is the gun stock hand rest & the black tip on the end of the handle.
Tesh Gun 037.JPG

elkad

Mar 15, 2016, 07:47 pm #44 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2016, 07:51 pm by elkad
Your thoughts, what looks a more accurate, striate or at an angel of the arm rest? It wold be a cut from a 4" PVC tube. Maybe 2 or 3" cut.
Tesh Gun Stock Arm Rest.JPG