Apr 11, 2021, 07:46 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Madame Vastra's Sonic Hatpin

Started by Oblivion, Sep 02, 2015, 03:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

Sep 02, 2015, 03:02 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2015, 03:46 pm by Oblivion
As seen in Deep Breath when she uses it to summon her carriage.

20150902_155802.jpg
Hampshire UK

galacticprobe

Sep 03, 2015, 07:43 pm #1 Last Edit: Sep 03, 2015, 07:45 pm by galacticprobe
I know I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record (for those old enough to know what a broken record is or sounds like), but your crafting skills are amazing!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Oblivion

That's kind Dino, thank you. I'm not a natural, I really do struggle, but more often than not I get there eventually. I think this is my favourite thing I've ever made.
Hampshire UK

galacticprobe

Sep 04, 2015, 02:38 pm #3 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015, 02:39 pm by galacticprobe
Well, you may not be a "natural", but one would never know it by looking at the replicas you create. Some, like that hat pin, are more like pieces of artwork. And if that "pin" part is strong enough, some lovely women would probably be happy to use it as a hat pin. (I know it would go well with some of those Tea Hats I've seen some women wear, or on a hat that a historical interpreter or re-enactor wears.)

And I think everyone here would agree with me when I say that not only are you a very talented artist (your replicas speak for that), but your modesty is also something to be admired.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Oblivion

Sep 04, 2015, 03:42 pm #4 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015, 03:52 pm by Oblivion
It's really not modesty Dino :) The amazing thing about the internet and the forum is that nobody gets to see all the stuff you screw up, the mistakes you make, the times you have to start something again because it turned out to be such a mess, and all the props you dump because you find that in the end you simply can't do it. In short, we only get to see what we want each other to see ;D My completed props, as I've always maintained, are finished, and look reasonably good, because of luck far more than skill.
Hampshire UK

galacticprobe

Sep 04, 2015, 05:11 pm #5 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015, 05:12 pm by galacticprobe
Oblivion, that professional model-maker friend of mine, David Merriman, Jr., once told me the same thing, not only about himself, but also about the professional props guys in Hollywood that he'd worked with! So you are in good company, and it sounds like you go through everything the professionals go through. (As my friend said, nothing always works out right the first time, unless you're very lucky: not an exact quote, but a close enough paraphrasing.)

Dino.