Apr 26, 2024, 02:19 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Duct Tape Shakri Cube

Started by The14thDr, Aug 23, 2015, 06:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Aug 23, 2015, 06:20 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016, 01:37 pm by The14thDr
Not wanting to pay £30 for a licensed replica of the Shakri cube, I thought I'd give this a go myself. A 3" black cube; how hard can it be?! ;)

After choosing my base material of cereal box card, I cut out a net of a 3" cube and scored all the edges.
image.jpg

To strengthen the otherwise weak and floppy card I cut out 6 squares of corrugated cardboard and glued them to the back of each face of the net.
image.jpg

To achieve a smooth and even finish to the cube I covered the entire net in black duct tape.
image.jpg

Using yet more duct tape, I fixed together the net of the cube, producing the following result.
image.jpg

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Oblivion

Again, that's ingenious  8)
Hampshire UK

galacticprobe

Aug 24, 2015, 06:23 am #2 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2015, 06:27 am by galacticprobe
Extremely ingenious! And it looks great! (Until I saw Oblivion's comment, I actually thought I was looking at another of his lightning-fast replica builds; it looked that good!)

Excellent job, 14th! (I'd almost bet the same technique could be used to make one of those "Siege Mode" TARDISes, gluing on a printout of that graphic and gluing that to the outside of the cube, adding a little blue coloring - if no one has Photoshopped the color into the graphic yet - and then sealing it all up with clear packing tape.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Oblivion

Indeed, it looks no different to my own version, and to think I struggled for literally hours sanding and painting cubes to the same end >:( 
Hampshire UK

The14thDr

Quote from: Oblivion on Aug 23, 2015, 09:09 pm
Again, that's ingenious  8)

Thanks a lot mate. :) I just try to work with what I've got lying around the house. Cheaper, and saves me a dozen trips a week to the DIY shop for wood, etc.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 24, 2015, 06:23 am
Extremely ingenious! And it looks great! (Until I saw Oblivion's comment, I actually thought I was looking at another of his lightning-fast replica builds; it looked that good!)

Thanks Dino. That's a massive complete, and it means a lot to read such kind words.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 24, 2015, 06:23 am
Excellent job, 14th! (I'd almost bet the same technique could be used to make one of those "Siege Mode" TARDISes, gluing on a printout of that graphic and gluing that to the outside of the cube, adding a little blue coloring - if no one has Photoshopped the color into the graphic yet - and then sealing it all up with clear packing tape.)

Dino.

That's an interesting idea Dino. I haven't seen anyone colour the graphics yet, and I don't have the skills to do it myself. I'm willing to bet, however, that by brushing over the black-and-white graphics with a thin coat of blue water-colour paint, I could effectively "dye" the graphics blue. I'll give this a try when I finish my other projects (ie. sonic cane, eye drive, etc.)

Quote from: Oblivion on Aug 24, 2015, 06:19 pm
Indeed, it looks no different to my own version, and to think I struggled for literally hours sanding and painting cubes to the same end >:(

Wow! :o Coming from you, that's an enormous compliment!! Thank you.  :D
In real life, however, the cube doesn't look nearly as good. You can see all of the seems between each strip of tape, etc, and I dropped the cube yesterday and damaged one corner.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Oblivion

Quote from: The14thDr on Aug 25, 2015, 07:14 am
In real life, however, the cube doesn't look nearly as good. You can see all of the seems between each strip of tape, etc, and I dropped the cube yesterday and damaged one corner. Kind regards, The14thDr :D

Ha ! I did exactly the same thing with my wood cube only minutes after it was finished. I spent another two hours filling the corner with putty and sanding it down. a repaint and it looked as good as new. So much work for nothing more than a black square of wood ! 
Hampshire UK

galacticprobe

Aug 26, 2015, 05:20 am #6 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2015, 05:21 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Oblivion on Aug 25, 2015, 08:28 am
So much work for nothing more than a black square of wood !

That will steeeaaal your sooouuul! (Or... whatever they wanted to steal.)

Yaaaah.jpg Don't trust the cube!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"