Mar 29, 2024, 03:54 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Missy's Diary

Started by The14thDr, Aug 22, 2015, 02:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Aug 22, 2015, 02:36 pm Last Edit: Mar 06, 2018, 09:49 am by Scarfwearer
I was reading through the latest DWM (issue #490) and I noticed on page 20 a photo of Missy's diary. I wasn't sure whether this was something invented purely for the purpose of the article ("The Secret Diary of the Master") or if this was a new prop from Series 9, so I spoilered the topic, just in case.
image.jpg
The cover appears to be made from aged/weathered leather (similar to the Eleventh Doctor's and River's diaries), with a Seal of Rassilon embossed on the front. There is also an intricate pattern on the front (and I presume the back as well) around the border.

That's all for now. In a short while I'll upload close-ups to highlight more features of the diary (I might have a go at creating a template if I have the time, so stay tuned).
Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Jun 23, 2016, 06:54 am #1 Last Edit: Jun 23, 2016, 06:55 am by galacticprobe
Wow! I don't know how this one got by me; I missed it completely! That cover looks like it could also be some sort of patterned velvet/ velveteen - if that is a real book we're seeing. It also has the look of a render, at least in that image.

14th, can you give us any more info on that diary - maybe something mentioned in the article, or more photos of the book from the article? (For people like me that can't always get copies of DWM it would be a real treat.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

I'm not sure if this is a real prop, but I posted it here for anyone who might be interested. The article was called "The Secret Diary of the Master, and it basically had plot summaries of all of the Master stories, but written from the Master's point of view. There was no information about this prop at all, it was just a photo at the bottom of one of the pages. My guess would be that the diary is just a rendering invented purely for the article.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

davidnagel

I agree, its just a photoshop. The angle on the Rassilon seal is enough to say it was just made for the article. Its nice though, worthy of recreating in the real worldz
Regards
David

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: davidnagel on Jun 23, 2016, 09:52 pm
The angle on the Rassilon seal is enough to say it was just made for the article.

That was my thought, I did a little perspective correction on the image and there's no way to have that seal as a circle unless the book is unusually tall and/or narrow
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Jun 24, 2016, 04:13 am #5 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2016, 04:20 am by galacticprobe
You're right, Angelus. For the Seal to look round like it does, that cover would have to be facing us straight-on, which it isn't. So the Seal would have to be oblong with the long ends facing towards and away from us for it to look round from the angle at which the book is resting.

And I do agree with David; this would be a great prop to build in the <oh, how I hate to use the phrase> "Real World".

(Reality sucks, or as Gene Wolfe once said: "Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction.")

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"