News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Russell's Black Dalek

Started by russellsuthern, Aug 19, 2015, 07:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Oct 05, 2015, 05:03 am #45 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2015, 05:10 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Oct 04, 2015, 01:14 pm
this makes me want to get on with mine, Unfortunately my house refurb is getting the way of the more important things like Dalek building...  :-[

Ditto, Steve; ditto. :P Only with me those things are interfering with my console build. (Just had to drop another $900 US on a major repair to the life support system - a.k.a. the HVAC - and that was just the deductible! You don't want to know what it would have cost if I didn't have that protection plan in place! And now after this combo Nor'Easter and Hurricane Joaquin that's been battering us since Wednesday, my back door is literally breaking off in pieces as the wind gusts blow across it. Price of a new door - you guessed it: another $900 that I really don't have! (At least that price includes both door and storm door, installation labor, and the hauling away of the old door, or what's left of it.) I can't even claim it under insurance because anyone can look at the door and see that it was already old, and starting to dry rot. Home Equity loan, here I come again! And those dollars are rounded off: the life support system was a little above, and the door was a little below, but that's still $1800 out of the non-existant budget.)

Tony may have proved beyond doubt that the BBC had a decent budget when they built sets and props for 'Doctor Who', but my console is really going to have to be built on a shoestring budget! (I've said it before and I'll say it again: Reality sucks!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

Hi, guys,
Building these big projects is always a long slow process, & various things do keep getting in the way, but it's worth it in the end!
I have learned to take a bit more slow & have more of a relaxed attitude over this build. If it takes a year, that's fine, if it takes two years, it's all good.
I'm trying to enjoy the process as much as the result.
I have to say, the only thing better than prop building is being able to share the results with like-minded individuals such as yourselves!
It does really help to have the support from the other TB members when things are going tough!

Russell

russellsuthern

Oct 21, 2015, 06:25 pm #47 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2015, 06:33 pm by russellsuthern
Hi all!

So... I have spent what seemed like forever sanding down my base & skirt.
Then I undercoated & topcoated it.
The black is gloss spray & the gold is metallic acrylic (brush on as I thought it would take the knocks better.) Both from the pound shop.

001.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Still working on my hemi's in small batches, so hopefully my next post will show a completed base & skirt section!

All the best,

Russell

Senseidale

Hi Russell
looking great
Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

russellsuthern

Thanks, Dale,

Photos do hide a multitude of sins!
I think I go by the Dalek 20 ft rule... Ie: if it looks good from 20 ft, then it's a good job!

Ps: Stop messing about with that guitar & get on with finishing your TARDIS!! ;)

Russell

galacticprobe

Oct 22, 2015, 05:08 am #50 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2015, 05:09 am by galacticprobe
The beastie is looking good, Russell! (Though I have to admit I sort of like the look of that "lavender" paint: a lavender Dalek, with pink or purple hemis. Could be a great "Empress" Dalek! ;))

Dino.
P. S. Since the time lag of two weeks has passed since the 2-part Series opener, did anyone else notice that Classic silver Dalek with the light blue hemis and the black dome? (And was that "Elsie the Dalek": our Forum's own KB's beauty?)
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Looking fantastic! And I do not envy you at all with that sanding job ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Senseidale

Quote from: russellsuthern on Oct 21, 2015, 07:32 pm
Thanks, Dale,

Photos do hide a multitude of sins!
I think I go by the Dalek 20 ft rule... Ie: if it looks good from 20 ft, then it's a good job!

Ps: Stop messing about with that guitar & get on with finishing your TARDIS!! ;)

Russell

I must finish before the weather stops me ,I have only a couple of thing to do now build wise then painting and assembly, I love to play the guitar if only to wind up the wife lol she can't play even she has a go.
I love your 20 ft rule I will have to try it but i bet the Dalek looks great close up.
all the best
Dale 

russellsuthern

Hi, Guys!

Dino: A lavender Dalek?? I'm not that brave!!!

Rich: You are right,sanding is the worst job of all. Time consuming, makes your arm ache & the dust goes EVERYWHERE!!!

Dale: The bad weather is fast on it's way, mate! My TARDIS needs a few bits done on it & I can't decide whether to do it now before the crap weather sets in, or wait till after winter then give it a proper overhaul.
My Dalek looks ok, thanks, but my work never turns out as good as the image I have in my mind.
My solution is to learn to love their faults!!

All the best,

Russell

russellsuthern

Hi all,

Not much of an update, I'm right in the middle of hemi preparation. (Preparation H?)

But I thought I'd explain how I'm going to voice my Dalek.
I had never planned to take my Dalek to shows/conventions etc because I'd heard horror stories about the damage they can sustain.
However, I've been lately warming to the idea, especially after seeing pics of other people having fun at conventions with their Daleks.
What's the point of having a Dalek if you don't show it off?
This means lights & a voice.
One of my students gave me a voice changer toy, but it's too big to use inside my Dalek.
Recently I found a mini version in Robert Dyas for only £6.99.
It's small enough to fit into the palm of my hand:
20151102_213007.jpg
20151102_213048.jpg

It is surprisingly loud for its size, but to be honest it doesn't really sound much like a Dalek, but at least it does sound robotic.
If you are looking for a cheap & nasty voice option then it might be worth a try, I think it will suit my needs for the time being.

All the best,

Russell

Senseidale

I like it, it will scare the pants of the public if they venture to close to your Dalek,
all I get from my students is a snotty nose,I dare not mention what I my patients carry :-\
best Regards
Dale
still messing with the guitar ;D still not getting any better

galacticprobe

Nov 04, 2015, 05:09 am #56 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2015, 05:28 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: russellsuthern on Nov 03, 2015, 11:42 am
Not much of an update, I'm right in the middle of hemi preparation. (Preparation H?)

Ooooh... that's bad! ;D (And I like it!)

I had never planned to take my Dalek to shows/conventions etc because I'd heard horror stories about the damage they can sustain.

Dalek.jpg
(Shshshsh! I think we might have been heard!)

One of my students gave me a voice changer toy, but it's too big to use inside my Dalek.
Recently I found a mini version in Robert Dyas for only £6.99.
It's small enough to fit into the palm of my hand:

Wow! You're not kidding! Literally in the palm of your hand! :o

It is surprisingly loud for its size,...

As they say (even on Gallifrey), good things come in small packages!

...but to be honest it doesn't really sound much like a Dalek, but at least it does sound robotic.

Have you listened to any of the Daleks in some of the early Classic episodes lately (Hartnell, mostly, and some of the surviving Troughton episodes)? Maybe it might sound like one of those Daleks. If I remember correctly, the Dalek voice that we've come to associate with them didn't become standard until the Pertwee era, or possibly the late Troughton era (if any of those episodes' audio survives). In the early days, especially in the Hartnell era, the Daleks' voices were different in just about every story they appeared in, with some even sounding like nothing more than some poor sod with a clothespin on his nose! So you could have something close to the right voice for a "Hartnell-esque" black Dalek. (Possible?)

If you are looking for a cheap & nasty voice option then it might be worth a try, I think it will suit my needs for the time being.

Hopefully it will, indeed. (Do I smell a possible YouTube video once this is all done? ;))

I hope my babbling was a little helpful, or at least encouraging.

Dino.

superrichi1a

A cheap option that sounds great is to get a fan, the sort powered by battery for carrying around on summers days, and doing the voice into that! It's basically doing the same thing as a modulator, but doesn't block all the sound nor move as quickly, but it still sounds close :) Then get a speaker to increase the volume and you're set, all fit virtually no cost!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

russellsuthern

Hi, Guys!

Dale: Yeah, my kids class is sometimes like a biohazard area! Their bugs are definitely deadlier than their techniques!

Dino: I ALWAYS find your ramblings encouraging! -& you are right about the Dalek voices- I think there was one in "The Chase" with a Brummie accent & a stutter! You never know about the Youtube video- although still a long way to go before I get to that stage!

Rich: I might give that a try & see which one sounds better. The advantage of my little voice changer is that it is already quite loud so I won't need any extra electronics or amps etc.

I'm planning on using Christmas lights for the dome lights- it's the time of the year for it so they won't be in short supply!

All the best,

Russell

davidnagel

That's a splendid looking skirt now! Love how the seat is integrated at the split.
And what a clever idea for a cheap voice amp.
Regards
David