Mar 29, 2024, 05:29 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My Half Console build for Arts Project

Started by droidbuilder1, Jul 24, 2015, 12:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

droidbuilder1

Hooray !! It worked. Thank you all for your advice to this software challenged engineer. I can build mainframes but can`t get pictures to work (LOL).
:D :D :D

galacticprobe

Aug 05, 2015, 04:52 am #16 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2015, 04:53 am by galacticprobe
You're quite welcome, droidbuilder1! And I may have forgotten to mention this, but after choosing the photo you want to post, if you use the "Save Draft and Continue >>" button (lower right, just below the "Post", "Preview", and "Spell Check" buttons), it will save your post as a Draft version as well as give you a look at how the post (and images) will appear. Then if something doesn't look right, you can always correct it, and repeat the process until you get it right. (I believe "Preview" also lets you see how the post will look, but doesn't save a draft of the post; but don't quote me on that. I personally live by that "Save Draft and Continue >>" button, though! :D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

droidbuilder1

After covering the tower and making the three fingered globe hiolder, my son and I did a trial assembly in the tallest part of my front verandah. I think it looks quite good, even with the tower unpainted.  :D :)1st trial fit 6-8-15 and me - a.JPG

galacticprobe

Aug 07, 2015, 04:54 am #18 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2015, 04:54 am by galacticprobe
She's looking quite nice! Is the globe on top going to have any lighting inside it? The coloring of it would give it a nice effect even with just a plain bulb inside (and a compact fluorescent or LED bulb would keep things cool so you wouldn't have to worry about heat). And the platform the old girl is sitting on looks nice as well. Splendid job so far! I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for controls on the other two panels.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

droidbuilder1

Thank you for your comment.
I am refurbishing an old Dick Smith Musicolour unit to drive the three primary colour lamps that the globe sits over. This will be driven from the output of the audio line level mixer on the centre panel, inputs of which will come from several sources including a six stage pulse generator to be fitted to the right hand panel. I just have some push button switch panels for the left hand panel currently just for show. I am modifying a mushroom footswitch to place on the top somewhere as well (panic button etc).
Regards Andrew

droidbuilder1

First outing as a test of the old refurbished "Musicolour" unit at the private Steam Punk Ball. It worked really well all night and the kids loved it.100_3980.JPG100_3982.JPG

droidbuilder1

Just finished the demat lever (master volume control).Master Volume Control Finished 2-9-15.JPG

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

droidbuilder1

Sue numbering the video switch positions. Check out the "Nothing is Useless" Facebook page.Sue labelling the Video Switch.jpg

droidbuilder1

Exhibition opened and sound presentation given by 9 of the disability group on Saturday 19 September 2015. I am proud to have been involved with this project even though it gave me great angst due to tight schedule.
I have only had to change one potentiometer since the opening, which isn`t bad considering all the pots and switches have been dormant in obsolete military gear for about 40 years (LOL). No wonder the project was called "Nothing Is Useless". Final photo of me and the other Tech, Nathanial, at the opening after a few red wines and nibbles.100_4077.JPG. Not sure what is next, a Dalek maybe or a K9, even a Police Box entrance to my shed !!

galacticprobe

Sep 24, 2015, 06:26 am #25 Last Edit: Sep 24, 2015, 06:28 am by galacticprobe
That looks just brilliant! And I love your comment about "obsolete military gear for about 40 years". When I was in the Coast Guard (1980-2011, counting some brief reserve time from 1984-1986), we were still using that obsolete equipment until the major upgrades came about in the mid to late 1990s. Up until them we were still using equipment that was in use from the 1960s and earlier! (The U.S.S. Nautilus in Groton, Connecticut is the first nuclear sub, built and in service in the 1950s, and it had an AN/UQN-1 Depth Sounder on it. I taught that piece if equipment when I taught in Electronics school in 1981-1982), and in 1994 I still had one of those on my Cutter. In fact, once the fleet found out that I taught the thing, everyone called my Cutter to get help if their UQN-1 broke.)

So when they came through with the upgrades, I managed to grab a bunch of knobs, buttons, and switches and a few other bits from the obsolete equipment before they totally trashed it. That's where I got most of the pieces I'd planned to use on my console, if this stupid bad back of mine ever lets me have more than five minutes of a normal life!

Dino.

droidbuilder1

Yes Dino, I can fully identify with you. I went on to teach electronics at the Defence school of Aerospace Engineering for nearly 20 years. They junked quite a lot of old gear as well and a lot of it never hit the bottom of the trash can. This project was mainly based around the sound and musical interactions of a couple of disability groups. Their joy at being in control of and able to control a panel with some lights and switches was worth a million dollars. The project was called "Nothing Is Useless" and there is a page on Facebook.
Regards To all.

dwc

droidbuilder1

The latest outing for the repaired cosole at the 2016 Steam Punk Ball.
The kids and not so young kids all enjoyed it.
This is why we do it. I am working at getting it installed at the Museum of the Riverina childrens room here in Wagga Wagga.

Enjoy100_4723.JPG100_4719.JPG

galacticprobe

Oct 24, 2016, 06:18 am #29 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016, 06:21 am by galacticprobe
Just a quick re-post to help save some necks:

100_4723.jpg

(Yeah, it's kind of dark, but at least we can see that great silhouette!)

That's a great console for a great cause, and I think we all applaud you for it! Well done, droidbuilder1!

Dino.