Apr 23, 2024, 07:17 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Newbery Box Model

Started by themaster73, Jul 23, 2015, 10:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

themaster73

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted any of my TARDIS models so I thought I'd throw up a few pictures of the Newbery that I built.

It's in the same scale as all my other boxes (what ever that is) built from card and milk bottle cartons.DSCF6596.JPGIMG00207-20120812-1341.jpgThe Masque of Mandragora.jpg

galacticprobe

Jul 24, 2015, 04:54 am #1 Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015, 04:58 am by galacticprobe
Wow! I could almost swear those photos were with a life-sized build! :o That first photo is just a little bright, which makes the blue look a little on the light side for the Newbery; however, it does remind me of a similar scene from one of the Tom Baker stories where this TARDIS version (rotating light on top) was inside a cave, looking something like this:

DSCF6596.jpg
Couldn't make it as dark as it was in the story without losing the light on top and the back of the "cave wall", but it's close. (I just wish I could remember which story it was.) Anyway, all of your photos of all of your TARDISes look like full-scale builds. You have quite a building talent, and a great eye for photography as well!

Brilliant!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

themaster73

Hi Dino,

The first one was taken in a "cave" which was quite dark, so I had to use a flash on my camera, which kinda over exposed the colours a little  >:(

Thanks for the kind words btw  :)

themaster73

And I was trying to replicate where the TARDIS landed in Destiny of the Daleks - guess I didn' succeed  :'(

galacticprobe

Jul 24, 2015, 05:55 pm #4 Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015, 06:02 pm by galacticprobe
Well... no, really; you did succeed, and quite well in fact. (Screen grab time!)

DestinyOfTheDaleks01.jpg
First materialisation close-up, actual prop on location (look at the warping in those doors!)...

...and from another angle, just before the Doctor and Romana II step out.
DestinyOfTheDaleks02.jpg
So you succeeded on a rather high level (even though you can't see the lamp on the prop).

I think the scene that was in my mind is from another story, possibly one from Season 18. (Funny how your mind can turn on you when you're over 200! ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Iirc, they didn't put the lamp on the prop because there wasn't enough space.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Jul 25, 2015, 12:44 am #6 Last Edit: Jul 25, 2015, 12:52 am by galacticprobe
Well, unless they copied the landscape with exacting precision in scale form, there was a lamp on the prop:
DestinyOfTheDaleks03.jpg
Wasn't easy, but I finally caught her with the lamp lit as she materialised.

I know it's kind of dark in there from this angle, but you can still see the warped doors on the TARDIS. So I think there was enough room for the lamp; you just can't see it on those other grabs because the viewing angle is so steep.

Still, themaster73 did succeed in the look he was trying to get, and he captured it rather well. (And I still can't remember that other story with the TARDIS and her rotating light in the darkened cave.)

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Thats Destiny of the Daleks....

(Season 17)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

Isn't that just an electronic video effect added on later? It isn't even in the centre of the roof, but has been mistakenly centred on the front face of the prop.

Volpone

I withdraw my comment.  Apparently that is a bit of Internet Snopiness.  Like the Brachaki prop collapsing on Liz Sladen in "Seeds of Doom."
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

themaster73

Dino

Are you not thinking of Earthshock when the TARDIS materialised in the underground cave?

galacticprobe

Jul 27, 2015, 04:35 pm #11 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2015, 04:39 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: themaster73 on Jul 26, 2015, 10:56 am
Dino

Are you not thinking of Earthshock when the TARDIS materialised in the underground cave?

Well... I'd have to take a look at that story again, but "Earthshock" featured the Yardley-Jones TARDIS, and I believe the rotating light went out sometime during early Season 18 (or earlier). That's the trouble with memory; things fade over time. I could be thinking of "The Armageddon Factor" (lots of TARDIS in a dark cave in that one). What I do remember is the TARDIS with the rotating light on top, and a dark cave, and I think it was a stage cave rather than an on-location cave. I'll just have to either dig out all of the Tom Baker 'Who' DVDs I've got and start re-watching them again, or just go to HuluPlus and start watching the stories from the 'Key to Time' series on until I find the story I'm thinking of to get that "Eureka!" moment.

So, unless someone else knows the story and scene I'm thinking of, we should probably put this part of the discussion on the shelf so as not to hijack your topic just to sort out what my old brain is thinking of. It is, after all, a topic for showcasing your fantastic model. (And since I'm not a fan of the Newbery, for me to say your model is "fantastic", it really is fantastic!)

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

The rotating light was last used in the untransmitted Shada, Season 17.
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 28, 2015, 07:12 pm #13 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2015, 07:17 pm by galacticprobe
I've got "Shada" on DVD. I can take a look at that one, but I don't remember there being a cave in that story. Probably HuluPlus and watching through all of Season 17 stories would be the best bet. (Still might start with the 'Key to Time' series, Season 16, since I do have those on DVD, and because it's a fun one as well, with the lovely Mary Tamm.)

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

No cave. You only see the TARDIS in the scene from the Five Doctors where Tom is under a gate and in Chronotois' study.

It was due to appear in some other scenes, but they were never shot.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 28, 2015, 07:12 pm
I've got "Shada" on DVD. I can take a look at that one, but I don't remember there being a cave in that story. Probably HuluPlus and watching through all of Season 17 stories would be the best bet. (Still might start with the 'Key to Time' series, Season 16, since I do have those on DVD, and because it's a fun one as well, with the lovely Mary Tamm.)

Dino.
Public Enema Number One.