Started by davidnagel, Jul 09, 2015, 10:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Great to see an update on this one.
Love a bit of heavy texturing :)
I look forward to more!

Russell

Volpone

One of the subtle things that makes a Hudolin box is how square the panels are and I think your really nailed that.  The 2005 box, the panels are very square--and very obvious (as opposed to the "portrait aspect" rectangles of the classic series boxes).  The 1996 box, they just work and it isn't until you really look at the thing that you realize how square the panels are. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

davidnagel

Thanks peeps. Texturing is quite fun!... And messy

IMG_20200315_132825.jpg
Regards
David

kutan66

Looks like you're 'finger fillering' ?!   Do you still have fingerprints?!

davidnagel

Quote from: kutan66 on Mar 15, 2020, 08:08 pm
Looks like you're 'finger fillering' ?!   Do you still have fingerprints?!

I don't even have hands left! Only big crusty white clumps on the end of my arms!
Regards
David

davidnagel

Finally some none wet weather so out comes the paint

IMG_20200321_163220.jpgIMG_20200321_162335_1CS.jpg
Regards
David

superrichi1a

That texturing really does the trick now it's painted, very very nice! Might I also commend the quality of your paintbrush? Not a bristle out of place. ;D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

davidnagel

Quote from: superrichi1a on Mar 22, 2020, 05:49 pmMight I also commend the quality of your paintbrush? Not a bristle out of place. ;D

Why thank you thank you. I bought it myself. Quite cheaply it I recall. Might be a QD buy...maybe. Can't remember. They've been waiting for this moment a long time now.

The blue is quite muted in person once it dries. Second layer went on today on the doors and door windows, also started the roof but that needs texturing really before I continue.

Cuprinol Iris blue if anyone is interested.
Regards
David

davidnagel

Another not quite the update I wanted to do but... eh, I've been painting again what with the recent good weather.

91334854_10163243244045374_1634439926068019200_o.jpg
90948920_10163243242055374_8452843260296036352_o.jpg

and oh look! A roof!

90277420_10163243244945374_4194854601922445312_o.jpg
Regards
David

davidnagel

Upon reflecting on the texture in images, I'm beginning to wish I'd sanded it back some more. It works in person though... I think.
Regards
David

Volpone

Ah well, TARDISes are a bit like haircuts.  They don't grow out and they take a lot longer, but eventually they need another coat of paint.  If you don't like it, you'll have an excuse to sand soon enough. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

KIT-KAT

I mean you could always sand it back a bit and repaint it if your not happy? it looks stunning tho, so nice to see you picking this up, Don,t see enough Hudolin on this site in my opinion
No, not the mind probe!

davidnagel

I could sand it back and repaint but I'll feel it was a waste of paint :D

I'll finish the build proper and then decide from there.

The plan is to get the pull to open door professionally hand painted - by a very fabulous chap I know - as per the original.
Regards
David

tony farrell

Quote from: KIT-KAT on Mar 26, 2020, 01:19 pm
I mean you could always sand it back a bit and repaint it if your not happy? it looks stunning tho, so nice to see you picking this up, Don,t see enough Hudolin on this site in my opinion

Agreed - on the few early drafts of the Hudolin plans which are available to us, the paintwork is described as "heavily aged". I think you've achieved that look. And, as KitKat states, your build does look stunning and there aren't enough Hudolin-esque builds!

T

karsthotep

agreed on this,  Hudolin is one of my favorite,   They really nailed the design aesthetically I think.   Great build looking forward to seeing more.

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"